Apple offering CBS, Showtime as a $9.99 Apple TV+ add-on bundle

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Apple has launched its first premium Apple TV+ bundle, allowing users to add on CBS All Access and Showtime for an additional $9.99 a month.

Apple offers 50% discount when you bundle CBS and Showtime with Apple TV+

Starting Aug. 17, U.S. customers can choose to bundle Showtime and CBS All Access with their Apple TV+ subscription for an additional $9.99 a month, bringing the monthly commitment to $14.98. CBS All Access and Showtime typically cost $9.99 and $10.99 a month, respectively. Up to six family members can share the bundle using their Apple ID and password.

"Apple TV+ gives you access to award-winning Apple Originals, with more high quality series and movies being added each month," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "This bundle is a big bonus for Apple TV+ subscribers, giving them the best of CBS and Showtime on the Apple TV app at a great value."

The bundle allows users to access premium content from all three services through the Apple TV app. Reportedly, the move is meant to spur adoption of Apple's a la carte Apple TV Channels service. Showtime features popular shows like "Billions," "Homeland," and "Shameless," while CBS All Access has "The Good Fight," "Star Trek: Lower Decks," and "The Late Show with Steven Colbert." CBS All Access also includes an expanded library of ViacomCBS titles, including "Spongebob Squarepants," "Chappelle Show", and other favorites from BET, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, and MTV.

Last week, a report claimed that Apple plans to launch a new bundled subscription option called "Apple One" that includes services such as Apple Music, Apple Arcade and Apple TV+. The bundle could be offered at different price tiers, with some packages including iCloud storage or Apple News+

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Would like to see a UK offer. Maybe a bundle of MUBI and BFI channels? Better still, NOW TV packages for sky sports, cinema and entertainment. 
    Scot1
  • Reply 2 of 34
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Not worth it. I can live without CBS and Showtime isn't any better than HBO or Cinemax, neither of which I bother having anymore.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    BGnATCBGnATC Posts: 23member
    Can anyone verify whether the CBS component is the commercial-free version or not?

Thanks!
    edited August 2020 Dogpersonjahblade
  • Reply 4 of 34
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    I'd love to know how to get it. I have searched all over the app, and cannot find the ability to get this bundle. 
  • Reply 5 of 34
    civa said:
    I'd love to know how to get it. I have searched all over the app, and cannot find the ability to get this bundle. 
    Click this thing. 
    ronnBeats
  • Reply 6 of 34
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    BGnATC said:
    Can anyone verify whether the CBS component is the commercial-free version or not?

Thanks!
    Yes, it appears to be the commercial-free version.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/08/apple-tv-plus-subscribers-get-cbs-all-access-and-showtime-bundle-at-a-great-value/

"By subscribing through Apple TV channels, customers can watch content from all three services online and offline, ad-free and on demand, only on the Apple TV app. Through Family Sharing, up to six family members can share the subscriptions to Apple TV+, CBS All Access, and SHOWTIME using just their personal Apple ID and password."

ronnBGnATCBeatsDogperson
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    Hopefully we will see a roll out for other countries including Canada with some local content services
  • Reply 8 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Not better than Apple buying an extensive library of content to include in their own service. Dilutes the value of the brand.
    entropys
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Would like to see a UK offer. Maybe a bundle of MUBI and BFI channels? Better still, NOW TV packages for sky sports, cinema and entertainment. 
    The one thing keeping me away from all of this is that the deals aren't international.

Last time I went with a streaming service my local version had none of the shows that I wanted, and that they were advertising on their US site.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    BGnATC said:
    civa said:
    Click this thing. 
    Wait.....WHERE IS THAT?!? 
    Oh, I found it. It’s buried in the app. 
    edited August 2020 BGnATC
  • Reply 11 of 34
    rs0212rs0212 Posts: 25member
    I've tried CBS All Access before through Apple TV Channels. I cancelled it and started the subscription back up through my Roku because the Apple TV version didn't give me access to the Big Brother Live Feeds
    llama
  • Reply 12 of 34
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Definitely going to do this for a bit. Already had CBS for about two months to watch the new Star Trek shows. Now I can catch up on Billions and try Lower Decks. Probably won't need it for more than two months unless they were actually able to produce more Discovery and Picard episodes for this fall.
    StrangeDaysbageljoey
  • Reply 13 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I admit, this is completely out of my wheelhouse even as an investor. I can't imagine why people pay for all these different services. In our family, there's too much of a content glut... I ripped all of our old DVDs for the kids and 100's of blurays. The last issue is quantity. How do people have the time to watch so much tv?
    There are still a large number of people unemployed or “underemployed” due to the States reactions to COVID.
    allmypeople
  • Reply 14 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    When they were talking about this last week the number was $4.99/mo. for that I would have gone for it. We're already paying $9.99 for CBSAA and aren't interested in showtime or anything that ATV+ has had so far. I think we're gonna wait for a while.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    rs0212 said:
    I've tried CBS All Access before through Apple TV Channels. I cancelled it and started the subscription back up through my Roku because the Apple TV version didn't give me access to the Big Brother Live Feeds
    That seems like an advantage for the Apple TV version.
    BeatsDAalsethDetnator
  • Reply 16 of 34
    DAalseth said:
    When they were talking about this last week the number was $4.99/mo. for that I would have gone for it. We're already paying $9.99 for CBSAA and aren't interested in showtime or anything that ATV+ has had so far. I think we're gonna wait for a while.
    I don’t care about showtime either but CBS’s iOS app is TERRIBLE, and being able to watch the same shows through apple’s native app is appealing to me... and it’s the same price assuming you’ve already got ATV+ (which we do because we just bought a ATV4K). 
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 17 of 34
    I admit, this is completely out of my wheelhouse even as an investor. I can't imagine why people pay for all these different services. In our family, there's too much of a content glut... I ripped all of our old DVDs for the kids and 100's of blurays. The last issue is quantity. How do people have the time to watch so much tv?
    Often times it’s just for one show. I want to watch the new Star Trek shows and CBSAA is the only way to do that in the US. That, combined with the fact that I can use apple’s native app rather than CBS’s app (which is TERRIBLE), is of value to me. 
    Beatsallmypeople
  • Reply 18 of 34
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Not better than Apple buying an extensive library of content to include in their own service. Dilutes the value of the brand.

Apple wants to keep TV+ as an innovative all original service. This makes TV+ more of a brand than a streaming service.

I think a better idea would be Apple buying these services and combining them. Offer them as a separate service for $7.99 and $9.99 as a TV+ bundle. Not sure if the acquisition costs would be worth it though.

techconc said:
    BGnATC said:

Thanks!
    Yes, it appears to be the commercial-free version.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/08/apple-tv-plus-subscribers-get-cbs-all-access-and-showtime-bundle-at-a-great-value/

"By subscribing through Apple TV channels, customers can watch content from all three services online and offline, ad-free and on demand, only on the Apple TV app. Through Family Sharing, up to six family members can share the subscriptions to Apple TV+, CBS All Access, and SHOWTIME using just their personal Apple ID and password."

I called this when it was announced. Apple hates ads.
    BGnATC
  • Reply 19 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    civa said:
    BGnATC said:
    civa said:
    Click this thing. 
    Wait.....WHERE IS THAT?!? 
    Oh, I found it. It’s buried in the app. 
    Hardly “buried” — I launched the TV app, barely swiped down, and there it is on the home screen. 
  • Reply 20 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

People watch different things. Some people like Star Trek. Some people like Homeland. 
    JFC_PA