Apple renews 'Ted Lasso' for a second season

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple TV+ sports comedy "Ted Lasso" gets a call for a second season less than a week after the series' premiere.

Image Credit: Apple
Image Credit: Apple

The series landed on Apple's streaming service on August 14, rolling out the first three episodes. The fourth episode is set to debut on August 21, with new episodes airing every Friday. The second season is set to premiere next year.

The series was developed by Jason Sudeikis, Lawrence, Joe Kelly, and Brendan Hunt, and is based on the pre-existing format and characters from NBC Sports.

The show follows Lasso, a former college football coach, as he shifts from small-time coaching in the United States to coaching a professional soccer team in England -- despite having no experience coaching the sport known as "football" in that country.

AppleInsider reviewed "Ted Lasso," citing that while the show's premise was well-thought-out, there doesn't feel like enough content to sustain a whole series.

"Ted Lasso" is only one comedy that has found a home on Apple TV+. It joins workplace-meets-gaming comedy "Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet," and will be later joined by murder mystery-comedy series "The Afterparty."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I must be Apple TV's target demographic.

I love Ted Lasso...can't wait for the 4th episode. I adored Mythic Quest...can't wait for more. Ditto with For all Mankind.. Loved the Morning Show excluding the ditzy and way too long opening sequence. The Banker was fabulous. Greyhound too. 

It's easier to say what I haven't liked...Oprah. Haven't hated her content, just haven't been excited about it. Kinda boring. 

Everything else on Apple TV+ has been incredible stuff that I've watched multiple times and told my friends about.
    lolliverrandominternetperson
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I must be Apple TV's target demographic.

I just got the free year a few weeks ago, but have really enjoyed Ted Lasso so far (just a fun show to watch) and really liked Greyhound as well.

Excited to check out some of their other shows as well like Mythic Quest, For All Mankind, and The Afterparty once it comes out.
    Beatslolliver
  • Reply 3 of 7

AppleInsider reviewed "Ted Lasso," citing that while the show's premise was well-thought-out, there doesn't feel like enough content to sustain a whole series.

I'm not sure why but that review seemed to be trying really hard not to like the show. Not sure why the review is being brought up again. The comments section of the review had a lot more insight into the show than the review article did.  
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 7
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    lolliver said:

I'm not sure why but that review seemed to be trying really hard not to like the show. Not sure why the review is being brought up again. The comments section of the review had a lot more insight into the show than the review article did.  
    Yep. It’s actually a good show, taking time to create an arc for its characters’ development. It’s quite clearly not a five-minute sketch with shallow characters that couldn’t “sustain a whole series.” The original reviewer clearly was looking for two-dimensional archetypes, and lacked the imagination to recognize that’s not what the show is about. 

(That AI review of Lasso is actually sort of like early reviews of the Apple Watch that predicted nobody would have much reason to buy one.)
    edited August 2020 lolliverrandominternetperson
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lolliver said:

Absolutely. I was already watching and enjoying the show when I came across the AI review and the reviews of the review. 

If you want to get a real opinion on the show then read @tenthousandthings take in the comment section. The original reviewer lacked the ability to step outside his own narrow viewpoint (a very common problem in the Appleverse), which led to his amateurish attempt to rewrite the show as a cliche. 

lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Having watched all the 3 available episodes now, I like the show a lot more than I did at the end of episode 1. 
    It is very enjoyable and there is something very Pollyanna/ Big Fish-ish about Ted that really makes you root for him. 

I think the streaming numbers must have been very promising, which is why Apple renewed it for a second season.

I'm looking forward to the new episodes.
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Loving this show. So glad I gave it a chance.