Apple's redesigned iPad Air sports 10.9-inch display, A14 Bionic chip

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    cloudguy said:
    tmay said:
    cloudguy said:
    A14 is only hexacore. Strange. Was certain that it was going to be octa-core. Hexacore is good enough to replace the i3 and i5 in the Mac Mini and MacBook Air, but for MacBook Pro and iMac they are going to need an octacore design at minimum.
    CloudDude, the A series SOC isn't going to be used in any production Mac, so you can stop clutching your pearls.
    I have read in various places that it was. Some have said that it would not be, but more places have stated that it would be than would not. Do you have a link? Thanks.
    No link required.  Watch Apple's WWDC presentation.  Near the end, when Johny Srouji presents, they specifically claim they are making an entire "family of Mac specific SoCs".   That's all you need to know.  This is their phone chip that also works well in a mid range iPad.  It's already faster than the vast majority of Intel based laptops.
    BeatslkruppGG1tmayjdb8167randominternetpersonspock1234muthuk_vanalingamrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 75
    I need to update my iPad Mini!  Hoping Apple does not do a budget Mini routine but give it the current A14 and does a Mini Air for March 2021!
    edited September 2020 dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 75
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    tmay said:
    JFC_PA said:
    I’d guess my only pause is the Touch ID implementation. Those edge ID system  identifiers haven’t got a very good history. It leaves the Pro in the mix for me (along with the higher storage options as I’m a photographer who’d like the backup and my full frame dSLR, currently a d850, generates huge image files I shoot thousands of on road trips). 

Well the tech details will be interesting. They are close, Apple usually doesn’t make that mistake, an
    iPad Pro update on the horizon?
    Given the time that Apple has had to develop power button Touch ID, I wouldn't be too concerned. This to me would be the preferred solution alongside Face ID for iPhone use in the continuing COVID-19 era.

As soon as I saw that TouchID button I thought "iPhone TouchID button confirmed". It seems more convenient. The question is, will button TouchID be more accurate than under screen? My logic says yes but I don't know much about this field.

Maybe Apple could improve the resolution of the FaceID camera and it can detect eyes and eye veins? Supposedly our eye veins don't move much. It could also have an engine that zooms into your eyes and confirms the user. But what do I know?
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 75
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,434member
    Beats said:
    Before the announcement I joked that iPad Air will get A14 and iPhone will get A14X this year. Surprised half of the joke's been confirmed!
    I think that the A14X, should there be one, will be reserved for next spring's edition of the iPad Pro. 

Still, the iPad Air promises the first legitimate benchmarks of the A14, even if those should not be extrapolated to the iPhone 13.
    bigpicswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 75
    tmay said:
    Beats said:
    Before the announcement I joked that iPad Air will get A14 and iPhone will get A14X this year. Surprised half of the joke's been confirmed!
    I think that the A14X, should there be one, will be reserved for next spring's edition of the iPad Pro. 

Still, the iPad Air promises the first legitimate benchmarks of the A14, even if those should not be extrapolated to the iPhone 13.

Very possible. Was also wondering if iPhone would get it's own chip family now. Too much fragmentation?
  • Reply 26 of 75
    This iPad Air has everything I hoped for and more. I expected A13, not A14.
    So... the iPad Pro might only be the same sort of speed in single core, but will be faster in multi core, likely has more RAM, has Promotion, better camera and Lidar. 
    I don’t think we’ll see a new iPad Pro until the spring.
    I wonder if the Air uses the same magic keyboard as the Pro...
  • Reply 27 of 75
    wood1208 said:
    Why the F* this company do no wrong ? I am waiting it to mess up so I can buy lots of AAPL with both hands. Well, that may not happen so I will settle with upgrading from my old Air 2 to this 4th Gen iPad.

Well Apple was up 5 cents after the announcements... Seriously, investors don't see the benefit of Fitness+, Apple Watch and how Apple pretty much put the nail in the coffin for knockoff iPads?

The market is lucky they didn't announce a $199 education version, like an SE for schools. Chromebooks and knockoff iPads would have been a thing of the past.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 75
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,681member
    cloudguy said:
    tmay said:
    cloudguy said:
    A14 is only hexacore. Strange. Was certain that it was going to be octa-core. Hexacore is good enough to replace the i3 and i5 in the Mac Mini and MacBook Air, but for MacBook Pro and iMac they are going to need an octacore design at minimum.
    CloudDude, the A series SOC isn't going to be used in any production Mac, so you can stop clutching your pearls.
    I have read in various places that it was. Some have said that it would not be, but more places have stated that it would be than would not. Do you have a link? Thanks.

Apple themselves said... "We're designing a family of SoCs specifically for the Mac product line." 

If you need proof, watch the WWDC 2020 video. It is mentioned around 1:32:00.
    BeatsaderutterGG1StrangeDaystmayspock1234muthuk_vanalingamrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Whatever.
    Nothing compels me to give up my iPad Air 2.
    Faster processor for reading websites? Nope.
    Slightly larger screen for reading websites? Nope.
    Same screen resolution. Nope.
    Weighs 20 grams more. Nope.

I want higher resolution!
  • Reply 30 of 75
    I like the new iPad Air 4 overall. Colors are cool = green.

i like my iPad Pro 11 but it tipped over, slightly cracked screen - so tradein value =0.

Will miss pro-motion 120hz - and yes you can notice if u care and don’t believe quality/improvement = ‘dumb’.

The faster 5nm a14 and colors and slightly better price are enough to mean I will probably get it even though I love Face ID on iPad Pro and iPhone X, will miss it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 75
    tmay said:
    Beats said:

Yes, A14X for the iPad Pros in the Spring. this has been Apple's game plan for the passed couple of Pro systems... an X variant is released on an even gen... A10X, A12X, and most likely, A14X.
    GG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 75
    thttht Posts: 5,536member
    aderutter said:
    This iPad Air has everything I hoped for and more. I expected A13, not A14.
    So... the iPad Pro might only be the same sort of speed in single core, but will be faster in multi core, likely has more RAM, has Promotion, better camera and Lidar. 
    I don’t think we’ll see a new iPad Pro until the spring.
    It will use the same Magic Keyboard as the iPad Pro 11. The Apple Online store says it is compatible for both the Air 10.9 and the Pro 11. The Air has slightly thicker bezels and is actually thicker than the Pro 11 too. It's 0.02 mm thicker, so quite the small difference, but noticeable my eyes (both the device thickness and bezel thickness).

Still hoping for an iPad Pro 12.9 miniLED with A14X and 8 GB of RAM in November. Apple really needs to add support for extended external displays and options for 16 GB RAM to the Pro models.
    aderutterGG1muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    cloudguy said:
    You’re another one of those guys who doesn’t seem to have gotten the message. Apple isn’t using ANY chip designed for iOS devices. All Mac chips have been (because they’re already being manufactured) designed specifically for Macs. All Macs.

so ignore these chips. They will never be inside a shipping product, as Apple very clearly, several times now, stated.

Got it?
    SpamSandwichBeatsGG1spock1234muthuk_vanalingamrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Beats said:

An A14X would kill the iPhone battery! LOL X variant SoCs consume 2-3x more power.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 75
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,846member
    aderutter said:
    Yes. There’s a picture of the iPA on the Magic Keyboard in the store. 

I am amazed that they have the TouchID on the power button. I really didn’t think they’d go that route, instead I thought they’d go with FaceID.

It’s a very nice device. 
    aderutterbigpicsrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 75
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    Now this has got my interest. I keep thinking I need a new iPad, I have the 9.7” Pro, but this is a very nice looking machine and a fair few quid less then the Pro. 64GB should be enough too for my use. It’s one of these things, if you want a laptop replacement then get the Pro but it’ll cost you, it you want a tablet media consumption device with a fresh design the new iPad Air is a winner, I think. Good job Apple.
    bigpicsmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 75
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,434member
    mjtomlin said:
    tmay said:
    Beats said:

Yes, A14X for the iPad Pros in the Spring. this has been Apple's game plan for the passed couple of Pro systems... an X variant is released on an even gen... A10X, A12X, and most likely, A14X.
    I didn't even realize that the X variant was a biannual occurrence, likely because I haven't had need to replace my first generation iPad 12.9.

I will be replacing it next year, I suspect, since Adobe is going to be providing an iPad version of Illustrator, and I have my eye on some still rumored high end Nikon Z model that would benefit from USB C performance. I have been off of Adobe Creative Cloud for a few years, but performant iPad Apps might entice me back, that and ASi support.

Yeah!
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 75

tht said:
    Curious to see how the A14 will perform. It probably only has 4 GB of RAM? 

I would guess the multi-core CPU score will approach the performance of the A12Z.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 75
    thttht Posts: 5,536member

techconc said:
    cloudguy said:
    tmay said:
    cloudguy said:
    No link required.  Watch Apple's WWDC presentation.  Near the end, when Johny Srouji presents, they specifically claim they are making an entire "family of Mac specific SoCs".   That's all you need to know.  This is their phone chip that also works well in a mid range iPad.  It's already faster than the vast majority of Intel based laptops.
    There's a really good shot that it will be fastest single core CPU machine, desktop or laptop, available anywhere, at least until the Apple Silicon Macs come out. Maybe Tiger Lake has a shot at it. This machine would have been fine with an A13. Putting in an A14 put its value way way up there.
    bigpicsspock1234techconcmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member

cloudguy said:
    tmay said:
    cloudguy said:
    Look, stop reading junk. The people who have said that are dumb. If someone is supposed to be a orofessional writer, then they need to get their facts straight. And where best to do that in this case? Direct from Apple. If you bothered to watch, either in real-time, or later, the past June event, you would have seen a big segment about new Apple silicon. John Seruji ( I know I misspelled his name) the head of hardware development stated that Apple would be using a new line of chips specifically designed for the Mac, and that Apple would NOT use any chips for iOS devices in any shipping Macs. The developer kits don’t count, and those use the A12Z. Those dummies likely are thinking about that, because they were too lazy to go to Apple’s site and find out.

thankfully, very FEW places have said that Apple would be reusing these chips on the Mac, unless you go to weird places.
    aderutterspock1234muthuk_vanalingamrazorpitwatto_cobra