New images show braided USB-C to Lightning cable, potentially for 'iPhone 12'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Backing up previous rumors that at least some models in the "iPhone 12" range will come with a redesigned USB-C to Lightning cable, a new leak claims to show what the braided cables look like.

Braided USB-C to Lightning cable
Braided USB-C to Lightning cable

Following earlier rumors, a new leak has revealed a series of photographs showing a braided USB-C to Lightning cable. Although previous reports said that this cable was intended for the "iPhone 12" range, the new leak does not specify even that it is made by Apple.

Braided Lightning Cable pic.twitter.com/R96GkU52Ga

— Mrwhite (@laobaiTD)

Leaker Mr White most recently claimed to have images of what may be back covers of the "iPhone 12 Pro," with space for the rumored LiDAR sensor. Previously, Mr White has also tweeted that the "iPhone 12" will "be equipped with a 20W power adapter."

Apple is now expected to announce its new "iPhone 12" range in an event on October 13.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Already have a USB-C to Lightning cable that I charge an iPhone 11 pro max, using ani iPad pro charger.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    It’s about time Apple changed their cable. I have been complaining to the for years. The previous material used was horrible. 
    jeffharris
  • Reply 3 of 12
    That braided cable comes with the Mac Pro to charge the keyboard/mouse. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12

I would love it if iPhone 12 came with a braided cable. I have been buying MFI certified braided cables when I needed replacements. Odd that articles last month or so were talking about saving box space because a Braided Cable would take up more space....

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Is it only me that find it puzzling that Apple doesn’t simply stop with this lightning business? They have switched laptops and now iPads over to USB-C. Why make it harder on consumers that now have to carry more cables?
    jeffharris
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    chelin said:
    Is it only me that find it puzzling that Apple doesn’t simply stop with this lightning business? They have switched laptops and now iPads over to USB-C. Why make it harder on consumers that now have to carry more cables?

The lightning cable plug is still smaller than USB-C unfortunately. Space is the issue I think. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I like braid covered cables, I have several. However, cloth braid gets dirty and is hard to clean. Plastic or polymer braid cleans up better but can still hold grunge in between the strands. I wiped off an Apple USB-C charging cable for my MBP the other day and it was surprising how much dirt was on it, considering it is used in my home only and mostly on my sofa. But it cleaned up just fine, where a braided cable might not. A white or light colored braided cable might look nasty pretty fast.

Obviously not a big deal, but something people might not think about.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Rayz2016 said:
    chelin said:

The lightning cable plug is still smaller than USB-C unfortunately. Space is the issue I think. 

Nominally I agree that it would make sense to switch. It would simplify things for user, reduce the number of cables needed, etc, but I think You’re right - the lightning connector is still a bit smaller, although Samsung uses it for their phones, so I don’t know if that’s really an issue or not. Lightning also has a more secure connection than USB C. The other thing I dislike about the USB C jack is the center tongue. Any such jack can get lint & debris in it, but the lightning jack is easier to clean out. 

I do think it’s more than a bit ironic that 5 years after Apple refused to put a single USB A jack on the MacBooks, saying ‘USB C is the future,’ they are still using a USB A connector for their phones. They must be stuck in the past?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Ah finally, the Apple Lightning Pro cable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    MplsP said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    chelin said:

Nominally I agree that it would make sense to switch. It would simplify things for user, reduce the number of cables needed, etc, but I think You’re right - the lightning connector is still a bit smaller, although Samsung uses it for their phones, so I don’t know if that’s really an issue or not. Lightning also has a more secure connection than USB C. The other thing I dislike about the USB C jack is the center tongue. Any such jack can get lint & debris in it, but the lightning jack is easier to clean out. 

I do think it’s more than a bit ironic that 5 years after Apple refused to put a single USB A jack on the MacBooks, saying ‘USB C is the future,’ they are still using a USB A connector for their phones. They must be stuck in the past?
    The iPhone 11 Pros ship with USB-C 18W chargers/cables.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    IDK, if it does not get sticky with use, and frays, how can it be a genuine Apple cable?

michelb76
  • Reply 12 of 12
    oops,  does not fray