First Apple silicon Mac not expected to launch until November

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    wizard69 said:
    MisterKit said:
    The Apple Silicon Mac is a threshold game changing moment. I hardly doubt it will be introduced with just a press release.

The introduction has already taken place at WWDC.   The release will be more than a press release but I don't see a need for a massive show.   This especially with A14 already released.   Frankly all they need is a good video that doesn't gloss over the technical details.
    There's a lot riding on this, and Apple need to prove their mettle, not to mention their professional pride. So I highly doubt they'll let the first Mac built on their own silicon creep out with a press release, they'll want to have demos and benchmarks up in 20 foot high letters. The Intel transition had on-stage introductions (at MacWorld) for the iMac and MacBook Pro as the first new lines of Intel Macs, and I imagine Apple will want to do the same. Covid may mean they can't so it on stage, but they'll still want a big fuss.
    GG1
  • Reply 22 of 31
    MisterKit said:
    The Apple Silicon Mac is a threshold game changing moment. I hardly doubt it will be introduced with just a press release.
    foregoneconclusion said:
    Kind of a 'duh' that the first Apple Silicon hardware gets a keynote. It's a genuinely historic product. 
    Hyperbole much? When:

A) Apple has switched CPUs in their Macs multiple times in the past?
    B) Linux, ChromeOS and Windows devices running on ARM have existed for years?

I have seen claims here on how ARM-based Macs are going to significantly increase market share. But none of them can give any reasons why anyone who currently uses Windows and owns tons of Windows software and games would be any more inclined to use macOS on ARM than they were macOS on Intel. (By contrast I can think of several reasons why they would be LESS likely.) There are some claims that switching to ARM-based Macs will save hundreds of dollars and allow Macs to compete with Windows laptops based on price, but that ignores that a $1000 MacBook Air and a $1300 MacBook Pro have Intel Core i3 and i5 CPUs that cost Apple no more than $100 per unit (because they cost as little as $70 retail). But even if an ARM-based Macs generally cost the same as Windows PCs there still won't be a compelling reason for Windows users to switch.

It is the same thing with Android all over again. You folks are convinced that Android software and hardware are terrible, Android users are undergoing a bleak, miserable horrible existence and all Apple has to do is throw a life raft their way and they will switch en masse. Actually ... nearly all Android users simply like Android devices and aren't going to switch no matter what Apple does. Ditto with Windows. As fascinating as an ARM-based Mac will be to people who love and are dedicated to the Apple ecosystem, people who like their Dell, HP and Lenovo professional machines and their Acer, Asus and Razer gaming machines are still going to like their professional and gaming machines. Those devices aren't going to become bad and unusable just because ARM-based Macs are available.

Keep in mind: they are bad and unusable TO YOU already. Because you own Intel-based Macs now, right? You own Apple Watches, Apple TVs, AirPods, iPhones and iPads, think that they are the best thing on the planet and to you making your MacBook more like your iPhone is the best thing in the world. But the guy who buys a new Dell XPS or Lenovo Thinkpad or Asus ROG (a gaming laptop line) every 3 years because he likes XPS, Thinkpad and ROG devices ... why should he switch? Especially since much of the software on his XPS won't run on the Mac. (Pretty much NONE of the games on this ROG will.) None of the accessories that he bought for his ThinkPad will be relevant to that Mac. And since his XPS/Thinkpad/ROG will continue to work as well FOR HIM when the ARM-based Macs launch as they did before?
    ctt_zhcropr
  • Reply 23 of 31
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    cloudguy said:
    MisterKit said:
    foregoneconclusion said:
    Kind of a 'duh' that the first Apple Silicon hardware gets a keynote. It's a genuinely historic product. 
    Hyperbole much? When:

I have seen claims here on how ARM-based Macs are going to significantly increase market share. But none of them can give any reasons why anyone who currently uses Windows and owns tons of Windows software and games would be any more inclined to use macOS on ARM than they were macOS on Intel. (By contrast I can think of several reasons why they would be LESS likely.) There are some claims that switching to ARM-based Macs will save hundreds of dollars and allow Macs to compete with Windows laptops based on price, but that ignores that a $1000 MacBook Air and a $1300 MacBook Pro have Intel Core i3 and i5 CPUs that cost Apple no more than $100 per unit (because they cost as little as $70 retail). But even if an ARM-based Macs generally cost the same as Windows PCs there still won't be a compelling reason for Windows users to switch.

It is the same thing with Android all over again. You folks are convinced that Android software and hardware are terrible, Android users are undergoing a bleak, miserable horrible existence and all Apple has to do is throw a life raft their way and they will switch en masse. Actually ... nearly all Android users simply like Android devices and aren't going to switch no matter what Apple does. Ditto with Windows. As fascinating as an ARM-based Mac will be to people who love and are dedicated to the Apple ecosystem, people who like their Dell, HP and Lenovo professional machines and their Acer, Asus and Razer gaming machines are still going to like their professional and gaming machines. Those devices aren't going to become bad and unusable just because ARM-based Macs are available.

Keep in mind: they are bad and unusable TO YOU already. Because you own Intel-based Macs now, right? You own Apple Watches, Apple TVs, AirPods, iPhones and iPads, think that they are the best thing on the planet and to you making your MacBook more like your iPhone is the best thing in the world. But the guy who buys a new Dell XPS or Lenovo Thinkpad or Asus ROG (a gaming laptop line) every 3 years because he likes XPS, Thinkpad and ROG devices ... why should he switch? Especially since much of the software on his XPS won't run on the Mac. (Pretty much NONE of the games on this ROG will.) None of the accessories that he bought for his ThinkPad will be relevant to that Mac. And since his XPS/Thinkpad/ROG will continue to work as well FOR HIM when the ARM-based Macs launch as they did before?
    Unfortunately, your long diatribe has nothing to do with explaining why the first ASi machine will get its own event. Straw man, anyone?

Given Apple's history, I would think they'll hold an event to make as big a splash as possible, despite the China Virus. 
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 24 of 31
    cloudguy said:
    MisterKit said:
    foregoneconclusion said:
    Hyperbole much? When:

I have seen claims here on how ARM-based Macs are going to significantly increase market share. ...
    Not hyperbole at all.  a) just because something like it has happened twice before doesn't make it "historic."  Was WWII not historic because we'd done the whole world war thing?  b) This is bigger than the PowerPC or Intel transitions because Apple is taking the future entirely into its own hands.

And to your other rant, please cite those claims that this will be huge for Apple's marketshare.  Few here care about marketshare (Apple doesn't).  This is about a bright future of Macs for us to use.  If Apple were going to abandon the Mac, as many have predicted, they wouldn't be doing this.
    Xedbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 25 of 31
    wizard69 said:
    MisterKit said:

The introduction has already taken place at WWDC.   The release will be more than a press release but I don't see a need for a massive show.   This especially with A14 already released.   Frankly all they need is a good video that doesn't gloss over the technical details.
    What is the distinction between a "massive show" and a "video."  Nowadays keynotes are just videos with a teased release date.  You don't think Apple isn't going to give the media a head's up the a big announcement (AKA video) is coming?

I find it amusing that the whole tone of the article and headline is negative--about something not happening until November.  Isn't the same story "It's coming next month!"
  • Reply 26 of 31
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Who would be the target customer for the ASi Mac? Who are the target developers and target applications for the ASi Mac?

It's not like moving to Intel. Intel was a known, and solid CPU source. ASi is all new; it cannot be just the A14X -- it's got to be much more -- much more than a faster iPad Pro. 

Fat binaries mean it will need to be big on the SSD. The ASi Mac target customer cannot be risk adverse. There will be limited applications available.

Would MBP users cough up the money to try a Pro ASi Mac?

Is the customer someone who wants to step up from an iPad? That's my guess. 
  • Reply 27 of 31
    They better release at least one apple silicon on the 13th event or I'm going to lay an egg. I seriously can’t handle the wait.

my prediction is a touch screen fanless laptop. They can do it and it makes more sense now that the os will support iOS apps.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    cloudguy said:
    MisterKit said:
    foregoneconclusion said:
    Hyperbole much? When:

It is historic. There is nothing hyperbolic about it.

Your anti-Apple/ anti-Apple fans rant is headache inducing, as usual.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 31
    croprcropr Posts: 1,128member

I have seen claims here on how ARM-based Macs are going to significantly increase market share.
    I am the owner of a small software company that has standardized on 2 development machines.   About 1 out of 2 developers chooses an Apple MBP, the other developers prefer a Dell XPS (Linux based).    Intel CPU architecture is very important for the company because my back end developers use a lot of Docker containers and the deployment of the developed services runs on Intel CPU in the cloud..  

We first need to see and test the Apple silicon, but chances are much higher that the Apple Macs will be phased out for back end development, than the other way around.    It took a few years before Docker on Mac was reaching equivalent performance as the native Docker on Linux.  Given that the CPU architecture will change, the challenge of getting similar performance on Apple silicon will be a tough one.  For the front end developers,  I don't expect to see any change.

I am pretty sure that my company is not unique: other Mac based back end development teams will face the same challenges
  • Reply 30 of 31
    cloudguy said:
    MisterKit said:
    foregoneconclusion said:

I have seen claims here on how ARM-based Macs are going to significantly increase market share
    You obviously don't know Apple.  Market share is not the primary goal.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,425member
    larryjw said:
    Who would be the target customer for the ASi Mac? Who are the target developers and target applications for the ASi Mac?

It's not like moving to Intel. Intel was a known, and solid CPU source. ASi is all new; it cannot be just the A14X -- it's got to be much more -- much more than a faster iPad Pro. 

Fat binaries mean it will need to be big on the SSD. The ASi Mac target customer cannot be risk adverse. There will be limited applications available.

Would MBP users cough up the money to try a Pro ASi Mac?

Is the customer someone who wants to step up from an iPad? That's my guess. 
    The target customer is all Mac users and anyone else buying a Mac in the future, since all Macs will be ASi Macs in another year or so. Your guess is wrong.