Apple launches iPhone 12 with 5G, A14 Bionic processor, higher resolution display

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    Beats said:
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:
    Love the fact that Apple remove stuff from the package that’s very useful and make the omission a feature. Vapourware if ever it existed
    Really?  How useful?  You really don't already have 17 each of those chargers and headphones?

And if you're one of the 6 people on earth who really don't, then what about the rest of us who do?  Why do I want to pay for those (plus the extra costs for shipping the larger boxes, and the cost to the environment, etc -- all real things not just BS marketing)... AGAIN?
    Agree. Except they didn’t give you a price drop. They just took away standard equipment. It is unneeded, however keeping the price the same makes it look like a money grab. 
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:
    Love the fact that Apple remove stuff from the package that’s very useful and make the omission a feature. Vapourware if ever it existed
    Really?  How useful?  You really don't already have 17 each of those chargers and headphones?

And if you're one of the 6 people on earth who really don't, then what about the rest of us who do?  Why do I want to pay for those (plus the extra costs for shipping the larger boxes, and the cost to the environment, etc -- all real things not just BS marketing)... AGAIN?
    Agree. Except they didn’t give you a price drop. They just took away standard equipment. It is unneeded, however keeping the price the same makes it look like a money grab. 

We don't know if there was a price drop. I doubt there was with expensive features like 5G and Magsafe.
    Last year the 11 Pro sold for $999 (starting) and 11 Pro Max sold for $1,099 (starting).  This year 12 Pro sells for $999 (starting) and 12 Pro Max sells for $1,099 (starting).  Can't be that expensive considering that the 12 Pro series is keeping the same base price and getting much more compared to the 11 Pro.  Unless Apple is taking a margin hit which is unlike them when it comes to their cash cow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 58
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

razorpit said:
    What world are these commercials made in? No one is wearing masks, not very realistic. 
    They’re pretending it’s November 4th.
    Nope. A million dead globally, 220,000 US dead and counting. It's not going away in November. 
    Was supposed to be two million back in summer. In any other year it would have been a bad flu season.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Is anyone else surprised that Apple upped the resolution of display? I am not sure why we need higher resolution as I don't see "pixels" and never felt that need since they upped the resolution on iPhone 4. Isn't the higher resolution going to drain more battery? 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 58
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    razorpit said:

razorpit said:
    What world are these commercials made in? No one is wearing masks, not very realistic. 
    Nope. A million dead globally, 220,000 US dead and counting. It's not going away in November. 
    Was supposed to be two million back in summer. In any other year it would have been a bad flu season.
    Uhm, the two million COVID19 death estimate was based on Epidemiologists modeling a zero response. Clearly, there was a response, both late, and inadequate.

Thanks to lack of masking and social distancing by some of our population, we'll likely have 275,000 deaths by years end.

Good news for the rest of us mask wearers though; mask wearing, hand washing, and just people being more careful overall, is reducing the impact of the Flu!

https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project?utm_content=buffer31647&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Bears for the win!
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 45 of 58
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    tmay said:
    razorpit said:

razorpit said:
    Uhm, the two million COVID19 death estimate was based on Epidemiologists modeling a zero response. Clearly, there was a response, both late, and inadequate.

Thanks to lack of masking and social distancing by some of our population, we'll likely have 275,000 deaths by years end.

Good news for the rest of us mask wearers though; mask wearing, hand washing, and just people being more careful overall, is reducing the impact of the Flu!

https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project?utm_content=buffer31647&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Bears for the win!
    No it was not. That was including the measures taken. And those numbers would have been a heck of a lot lower had 5 governors not spike them. Approximately 6% of that magical death number are people who have actually died from just COVID. The survival rates of people under 70 with no other issues is staggering. We destroyed more lives and businesses from our over reaction than the virus could ever have done. Don’t believe me? Look at the new reports from the CDC. 

While you’re there you can also see wearing masks provides no discernible  benefits for the prevention of the flu. I don’t know how you can even make that statement considering flu season hasn’t even started.

rain22
  • Reply 46 of 58
    Didn’t they say in the presentation that the phones will now be including USB-C to lightning cord? If so none of my old charging bricks will work with the new cord. Granted I have plenty of other cords laying around. But I don’t have a USB-C charging brick. Ill probably buy a MagSafe charger anyways. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 58
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Didn’t they say in the presentation that the phones will now be including USB-C to lightning cord? If so none of my old charging bricks will work with the new cord. Granted I have plenty of other cords laying around. But I don’t have a USB-C charging brick. Ill probably buy a MagSafe charger anyways. 
    Yes, they did say that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 58
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    razorpit said:
    tmay said:
    razorpit said:

razorpit said:

Bears for the win!
    No it was not. That was including the measures taken. And those numbers would have been a heck of a lot lower had 5 governors not spike them. Approximately 6% of that magical death number are people who have actually died from just COVID. The survival rates of people under 70 with no other issues is staggering. We destroyed more lives and businesses from our over reaction than the virus could ever have done. Don’t believe me? Look at the new reports from the CDC. 

While you’re there you can also see wearing masks provides no discernible  benefits for the prevention of the flu. I don’t know how you can even make that statement considering flu season hasn’t even started.

I can't speak for the U.S but lockdown in Spain and other parts of the EU had more to do with easing the strain on the health system than anything else. 

Doctors and medical staff were dropping like flies at one point and even if they weren't all dying, they had to quarentine nevertheless. All of this on the back of not knowing much about the virus or the best treatment options and not having sufficient supply of PPE.

With hindsight, lockdown has been confirmed to be the correct course of action. We are now better prepared and vaccines may prove somewhat effective going forward but the underlying situation persists. If the health system reaches capacity for a prolonged period (which is now very easy to foresee due to testing procedures already in place) further lockdowns will be needed. 

If countries had not restricted movement and let the virus run rampant, far more people would have died than they already did, if only because life saving medical infrastructure would not have been available to them because of saturation of the system. That would open an ethical can of worms as well as other considerations. 
    muthuk_vanalingamPascalxxMplsPtmay
  • Reply 49 of 58
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    Guarantee Apple introduces a swapable battery next year - so that they can eventually drop it from the packaging too. Who doesn’t have 17 batteries laying around- am i right!
  • Reply 50 of 58
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member

crowley said:
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

That's a bit rude. Some people don't own 17. Most don't. And when I give an old iDevice away, I give away the USB charger, so I think I have only ONE charger in my house, and one headphone. Who on earth would give away an iDevice without giving away the charger/headphone too?
    You pass on used headphones?  Gross.
    Who said I used my headphones? I don't. Never assume.
    So did you just prove the point that it’s better not to include the headphones in the first place?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 58
    razorpit said:

I thought this was an iPhone 12 thread.   :)

Just some data:

2018-19 seasonal flu had an estimated number of deaths around 34000.  US is > 220000.  Both numbers include comorbidity.  Seasonal flu has a couple hundred strains, of which a vaccine is made with the most prevalent 3 - 4.  The novel SARS-CoV-2 has (thankfully) mutated to just a few strains, no vaccine, not seasonal, spreads incredibly efficiently between hosts, and long-term effects are not well-understood.  

Please wear a mask when the situation calls. </PSA>   

PascalxxMplsPtmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 58
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    avon b7 said:
    razorpit said:
    tmay said:
    razorpit said:

razorpit said:

Bears for the win!

I can't speak for the U.S but lockdown in Spain and other parts of the EU had more to do with easing the strain on the health system than anything else. 

Doctors and medical staff were dropping like flies at one point and even if they weren't all dying, they had to quarentine nevertheless. All of this on the back of not knowing much about the virus or the best treatment options and not having sufficient supply of PPE.

With hindsight, lockdown has been confirmed to be the correct course of action. We are now better prepared and vaccines may prove somewhat effective going forward but the underlying situation persists. If the health system reaches capacity for a prolonged period (which is now very easy to foresee due to testing procedures already in place) further lockdowns will be needed. 

If countries had not restricted movement and let the virus run rampant, far more people would have died than they already did, if only because life saving medical infrastructure would not have been available to them because of saturation of the system. That would open an ethical can of worms as well as other considerations. 
    I don't want to derail this thread more, but as someone in healthcare I will confirm what you wrote. I will also say that there are many factors involved, so people who try to dilute it down to one thing like masks, shutdown, etc virtually always get it wrong.
    tmaymuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Beats said:
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

We don't know if there was a price drop. I doubt there was with expensive features like 5G and Magsafe.
    Last year the 11 Pro sold for $999 (starting) and 11 Pro Max sold for $1,099 (starting).  This year 12 Pro sells for $999 (starting) and 12 Pro Max sells for $1,099 (starting).  Can't be that expensive considering that the 12 Pro series is keeping the same base price and getting much more compared to the 11 Pro.  Unless Apple is taking a margin hit which is unlike them when it comes to their cash cow.
    You should look up the definition of "cash cow." While iPhone has very strong brand and product loyalty, if Apple were to stop investing very heavily in keeping the iPhone at the pinnacle of its technological investment outlay every year, with major architectural changes every few years, sales of iPhone would drop like a rock. If iPhone was a cash cow, meaning Apple's investment in the product was already paid-off, they'd still be selling only the iPhone 6/6+, with annual updates to chassis and case colors. I can't think of any smartphone from any maker that would be considered a cash cow, with the possible exception of a couple of flip phone handsets in the burner phone market. The market segment that the iPhone lives in simply does not doesn't tolerate cows. The bones of dead cows like Nokia and the puffy corpse of Blackberry provide ample evidence of this reality. 
    GG1watto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 54 of 58
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    In India both iPhone XR & 11 had launched at around ₹68,300 inclusive of taxes. That’s USD 936. iPhone 12 is currently listed at ₹79,900 on apple.com/in . That’s USD 1090. 

OLED display & 5G antennas are one of the factors for increased cost but I would have preferred Liquid Retina display instead of OLED to keep the cost down. iPhone 11 display is not bad. And in India 5G network deployment is still 1-2 years away, there aren’t many compelling reasons to go for iPhone 12 especially when there is a huge price cut on iPhone 11 and Apple is giving AirPods free with purchase of 11. 

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/10/10/free-airpods-offered-for-iphone-11-purchase-in-india-from-october-17

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/features/story/iphone-11-with-rs-14-000-price-cut-and-free-airpods-is-a-better-choice-than-iphone-12-1731387-2020-10-14
    avon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 58
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    dewme said:
    Beats said:
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

You should look up the definition of "cash cow." While iPhone has very strong brand and product loyalty, if Apple were to stop investing very heavily in keeping the iPhone at the pinnacle of its technological investment outlay every year, with major architectural changes every few years, sales of iPhone would drop like a rock. If iPhone was a cash cow, meaning Apple's investment in the product was already paid-off, they'd still be selling only the iPhone 6/6+, with annual updates to chassis and case colors. I can't think of any smartphone from any maker that would be considered a cash cow, with the possible exception of a couple of flip phone handsets in the burner phone market. The market segment that the iPhone lives in simply does not doesn't tolerate cows. The bones of dead cows like Nokia and the puffy corpse of Blackberry provide ample evidence of this reality. 
    Blackberry are not dead yet, only gangrene (from the head down, though).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 58
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Apple releases or re-leases it's "Back to the Future" iPhone 12. Yes you have seen it all before minus the "new colors". I predict the iPhone 14 will look like the original iMac, Biondi Blue 2.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

Welcome Samsung user to the iPhone, now ask a friend to borrow a charger so you can start it up.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 58 of 58
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    razorpit said:
    tmay said:
    razorpit said:

razorpit said:

Bears for the win!

I don't want to derail this thread more, but as someone in healthcare I will confirm what you wrote. I will also say that there are many factors involved, so people who try to dilute it down to one thing like masks, shutdown, etc virtually always get it wrong.
    My point earlier, is that mask wearing, hand washing, social distancing, and general hygiene are in fact reducing the spread of the Flu. This is based on anecdotal data from countries in the Southern Hemisphere, who are beginning to exit their peak flu season.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6937a6.htm

"Summary

What is already known about this topic?

Influenza activity is currently low in the United States and globally.

What is added by this report?

Following widespread adoption of community mitigation measures to reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, the percentage of U.S. respiratory specimens submitted for influenza testing that tested positive decreased from >20% to 2.3% and has remained at historically low interseasonal levels (0.2% versus 1–2%). Data from Southern Hemisphere countries also indicate little influenza activity.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Interventions aimed against SARS-CoV-2 transmission, plus influenza vaccination, could substantially reduce influenza incidence and impact in the 2020–21 Northern Hemisphere season. Some mitigation measures might have a role in reducing transmission in future influenza seasons."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flu-season-never-came-to-the-southern-hemisphere1/

"In March, as coronavirus widened its global sweep, one health statistic quickly flattened: influenza cases. In the Southern Hemisphere, flu season would have been just taking off, but cases were virtually nonexistent. “Never in my 40-year career have we ever seen rates ... so low,” says Greg Poland, an influenza expert at the Mayo Clinic. Although researchers need to study the reasons further, several told Scientific American that coronavirus prevention measures—handwashing, mask wearing and social distancing—are working against flu transmission. If those measures continue, Poland says, countries could see the most dramatic drop in influenza cases in modern human history. U.S. health experts still recommend flu shots, however, because not everyone in the country is observing measures to contain the virus and because COVID-19 could perhaps be more threatening in people who contract flu."

edited October 2020 watto_cobra