Everything unveiled at Apple's iPhone 12 event - and what AppleInsider thought

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Anyone see that the MagSafe charger pad has been removed from Apple’s website? I favorited it yesterday but now it’s gone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    flydog said:

Beats said:
    LACKLUSTER. The Apple iPhone events are usually the biggest grandest of the year.

No AirPods, No Apple TV, no HomePod 2, not even the rumored StudioPods. I know I'm missing more products.
    Like you said, it's an "iPhone" event.   Apple generally announces the Watch at these events since they it goes hand-in-hand with the iPhone, and sometimes an iPad.  

Yeah you proved my point, thanks.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    flydog said:

Beats said:

Beats said:
    LACKLUSTER. The Apple iPhone events are usually the biggest grandest of the year.

No AirPods, No Apple TV, no HomePod 2, not even the rumored StudioPods. I know I'm missing more products.
    Try judging it on the actual products announced, not what you wish was announced. 

I'm judging it by past iPhone events. Yes, LACKLUSTER.
    Were you expecting dancing unicorns?  The iPhones that were announced feature the biggest year-to-year improvements since FaceID was added in 2017.  

Do you not know how to read?
  • Reply 24 of 39
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    Beats said:
    flydog said:

Beats said:

Beats said:

Try judging it on the actual products announced, not what you wish was announced. 

I'm judging it by past iPhone events. Yes, LACKLUSTER.
    Were you expecting dancing unicorns?  The iPhones that were announced feature the biggest year-to-year improvements since FaceID was added in 2017.  

Do you not know how to read?
    So you want them to announce stuff earlier than they're ready to so you can wait longer for them to be released?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member

William Gallagher

"As a human being, I want that house. Possibly with a few more walls, but otherwise I'm ready to move in."

Until you need to use the restroom  ;)

Joking aside one issue I've seen all over the press is different stories about the capabilities of the cameras across the whole line, causing confusion (and it is confusing)... for example some outlets report that Dolby Vision video recording is available across the whole line, some say only on the Pro models, some 30fps on 12 and 60 fps on Pro. Some don't mention the sensor size diffs...

In my case I love the size of the mini... however I know I'm giving up some camera capability... question is does it really impact the photos materially (which I do not take many of) vs. the size of the device which impacts me all day (have the 11 Pro Max and for my hands and for the gym it's *way* to big)... want to do a pre-order, but this is a case where I'll need to wait and see the reviews and Covid allowing try them in person... or maybe go full Apple fanatic and pre-order a mini, pro and pro max, returning/reselling the ones that don't fit.

randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    For me, Apple got it right again! Bringing the advantage of 5G connectivity in sub-6GHz spectrum only, I view the absolutely logical step, when there’s virtualy no mmWave (and “mmwave ready”) infrastructure, and most importantly, no conclusion on health related concerns of mass deployment of these multiple mimo beamforming mmWave antena arrays in dense populated areas.
    I love Apple’s rationale and courage to wait!
  • Reply 27 of 39
    JFC_PA said:
    Cabled charging is faster and more efficient, the latter being a definite issue when traveling and relying on finite power packs. Losing 50% of your available power to wireless charging overhead is just not attractive. 

As that’s a physics issue I’m hoping cabled charging stays around for a long time.  That said overall MagSafe is a definite plus. The accessory possibilities are intriguing. 
    How did you get to 50%?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    Very nice article. I certainly appreciate the AppleInsider staff sharing their personal thoughts about the new product releases. Well done!
    muthuk_vanalingamradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    dewme said:
    Very nice article. I certainly appreciate the AppleInsider staff sharing their personal thoughts about the new product releases. Well done!
    Funny, I was going to say exactly this.  I really liked the format of this article, especially the individual thought at the end.  It's a nice reminder that there's an array of people with different perspectives behind the curtain.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    LOL! Last year so many experts as well from low end to high end regular people with strong opinion declared that Apple is doomed because Android phone manufactures offering 5G and Apple not. Now, the same people saying full fledged 5G network is not here yet. So, after a year, who is right ? Apple is right with the timing of releasing awesome 5G phones and nailed well with line up. People are excited with $699 Mini and $799 iPhone 12.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    wood1208 said:
    LOL! Last year so many experts as well from low end to high end regular people with strong opinion declared that Apple is doomed because Android phone manufactures offering 5G and Apple not. Now, the same people saying full fledged 5G network is not here yet. So, after a year, who is right ? Apple is right with the timing of releasing awesome 5G phones and nailed well with line up. People are excited with $699 Mini and $799 iPhone 12.
    Apple releasing 5G now takes away a club that competitors could have continued to beat Apple with, regardless of the fact that the number of folks who will immediately benefit from 5G is relatively small. The upside, the 5G situation will only get better and hopefully before the refresh period for iPhone 12 buyers. Apple's 5G adoption also puts more pressure on the carriers to get their act together on 5G infrastructure rollout. The 5G ball is in their court now.

Bottom line is that Apple had to do it. But even beyond the 5G factor, the new iPhones are very attractive and compelling purchases for people who are currently sitting on a 3+ year old iPhone (and of course most any Android phone). The iPhone 12 Mini is a home run and should do exceptionally well with people who didn't update their wardrobes to being dominated by cargo pants and shorts, or carrying a murse. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    dewme said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple releasing 5G now takes away a club that competitors could have continued to beat Apple with, regardless of the fact that the number of folks who will immediately benefit from 5G is relatively small. The upside, the 5G situation will only get better and hopefully before the refresh period for iPhone 12 buyers. Apple's 5G adoption also puts more pressure on the carriers to get their act together on 5G infrastructure rollout. The 5G ball is in their court now.

Bottom line is that Apple had to do it. But even beyond the 5G factor, the new iPhones are very attractive and compelling purchases for people who are currently sitting on a 3+ year old iPhone (and of course most any Android phone). The iPhone 12 Mini is a home run and should do exceptionally well with people who didn't update their wardrobes to being dominated by cargo pants and shorts, or carrying a murse. 
    The 5G modem situation last year was pretty ugly, and build-outs were bad -- both reasons, and Apple's Qualcomm situation was probably why this wasn't last year. And, I agree with the whole "club taken away" thing, for sure.

5G Build outs are still bad in the US -- but a bit better -- and the modem situation is MUCH better with lower power demand and a smaller form-factor overall versus 2019.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39

Year after year I am astonished by the differences in price. In Spain the basic 12 pro is listed as 1,159€, which is 1,355$ as opposed to 999$ in the US:  https://www.apple.com/es/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-12-pro 

Is there an explanation for that, apart from greediness? It is cheaper to catch a plane to buy it there.

• Reply 34 of 39
    alm2000 said:

Year after year I am astonished by the differences in price. In Spain the basic 12 pro is listed as 1,159€, which is 1,355$ as opposed to 999$ in the US:  https://www.apple.com/es/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-12-pro 

Is there an explanation for that, apart from greediness? It is cheaper to catch a plane to buy it there.

VAT?  US prices are always shown pre-tax.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Possible 2 stupid questions: 1. is sensor-shift stabilization working on all 3 back cameras? I am seeing conflicting information from Apple. 2. Do all 3 cameras share a single sensor or do the cameras have their own sensor? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    When the nested briefcases were being opened I was thinking "They are going to reveal a tiny tiny case containing an AirTag," then I was disappointed when I saw the phone.
    I’m really loosing interest in Apple as a technology supplier and this release didn’t help their cause any. Cell phones are old hat these days and combined with the fact that I’m. It in an upgrade year I was really hoping to see some real innovation on the Apple Silicon front.   Frankly if they couldn’t get the hardware out by now they should have kept there mouths shut at WWDC and waited another year. 

In a nut shell I was really hoping to see a revitalization at Apple that would entice me to be a Mac customer again.   Instead nothing but ho hum iPhone updates.  
  • Reply 37 of 39
    VAT?  US prices are always shown pre-tax.
    Are you sure? I am not familiar with that and so I might be wrong, but it doesn`t seem to be true. 
    https://www.statista.com/chart/19336/the-price-of-the-iphone-around-the-world/

edited October 2020
  • Reply 38 of 39
    My biggest concern about the iPhone 12 family has little to do with the hardware itself. While I'm not opposed to four different models announced yesterday, plus two more retained from the previous lineup from this chair, some folks that I've already spoken to are puzzled by the variances between the models beyond screen sizes.
    I’m inclined to agree with mike.  I get what they are doing, and I understand the differences.  A much simpler approach would have been to have 3 models (mini, middle, max) with mostly the same camera modules (max can have the larger sensor) so that way it really becomes what size you want and battery capacity.  I liked the old way of providing a cheaper phone (last years model discounted) than this new Pro/non-pro approach.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    wizard69 said:
    When the nested briefcases were being opened I was thinking "They are going to reveal a tiny tiny case containing an AirTag," then I was disappointed when I saw the phone.
    I’m really loosing interest in Apple as a technology supplier and this release didn’t help their cause any. Cell phones are old hat these days and combined with the fact that I’m. It in an upgrade year I was really hoping to see some real innovation on the Apple Silicon front.   Frankly if they couldn’t get the hardware out by now they should have kept there mouths shut at WWDC and waited another year. 

In a nut shell I was really hoping to see a revitalization at Apple that would entice me to be a Mac customer again.   Instead nothing but ho hum iPhone updates.  
    Apparently everyone except for you knew this was an iPhone event.

WWDC was for developers to prepare software for ASi Macs. Why would they wait another year if the first ASi Mac is due to be released this year still?
    edited October 2020