Under-display Touch ID on an iPhone is still coming, leaker claims

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,385member
    TouchID was mediocre at best.  It rarely worked.
    Utter bullshit FUD, as is most of the rest of your post. I found TID to be probably 90% + accurate, and that's just the first generation of TID. It's had a few fails for me, but does recover

I haven't used any iteration of FID so I can't speak to that but a lot of people have complained about failing to unlock on the first try. I like the idea of TIDUG if Apple can pull it off. I am a little skeptical of a TID power button but will wait for reviews. I thinking the button could act as a scanner rather than relying on a "slice" of a fingerprint.

The 12 will be my first FID experience and I will miss TID. Getting a 12 now will pretty much guarantee the implementation of a TID power button or TIDUG, so you can thank me later. The notch is a complete non-issue to me and I doubt that will change in actual use.

Eric_WVGG said:
    I just don't believe this one. The technology sounds hair-brained and of limited usefulness. 

If this was feasible, they wouldn't have bothered with the TouchID-in-lock-button solution for the iPad Air. I mean, yeah they would've got that button working in the lab, but it wouldn't have made it to product.
    And this is base on your years as a hardware or software engineer for what major company? That first sentence is another pulled out of ass bullshit statement. Cue Arthur C. Clarke.

And "limited usefulness"? FFS, how is this more limited in usefulness than a emulated Home button for TID.  If you were in charge, Apple would be working on perfecting the buggy whip. After seeing what Apple has done with the Watch's Digital Crown, it seems to me Apple has a really good shot at making both TIDUG and the TID power button work.
    StrangeDaysNotoriousDEVwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 48
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,040member
    mike1 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Also, even though I kind of hate FaceID, I find myself missing TouchID most when I'm in a checkout line and trying to use Apple Pay. But you know what works better than an iPhone for that? The Watch. I want TouchID back too but really it's not that big a deal.

Whenever I hear this complaint, it seems that the user is under the mistaken impression that you need to be looking at the phone while you are holding it against the terminal. That is not necessary. You can double press the side button while the phone is against the POS terminal and then authenticate your face. Much more convenient.

Agree that the Watch is the best way to handle it, though.

Face ID is not a lot of use when you are trying to pay for fuel while wearing a full face crash helmet especially the retro AGV ones. OTOH, taking one glove off is easy.
    Agree on non issues using my Apple Watch to pay for things when I am wearing a mask.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 48
    As far as predictions go this is probably the most obvious: the notch will eventually go.

But recently we've seen a lot more movement int his direction. The new iPhones have the flat edge design which is necessary to provide enough area in the bezel and touch-ID in the power button is now a reality.

There is already enough current tech to do a face-id less "budget" full screen iPhone SE. But Apple know that releasing that first would be a bad move - instead they'll introduce it at the top, and features like under the screen touch ID will be welcome additions to such a device. As it stands just switching on under the screen touch-ID won't move the needle for Apple, it'll need to come as part of a full-screen theme.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 48

mike1 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Also, even though I kind of hate FaceID, I find myself missing TouchID most when I'm in a checkout line and trying to use Apple Pay. But you know what works better than an iPhone for that? The Watch. I want TouchID back too but really it's not that big a deal.

Whenever I hear this complaint, it seems that the user is under the mistaken impression that you need to be looking at the phone while you are holding it against the terminal. That is not necessary. You can double press the side button while the phone is against the POS terminal and then authenticate your face. Much more convenient.

Face ID is not a lot of use when you are trying to pay for fuel while wearing a full face crash helmet especially the retro AGV ones. OTOH, taking one glove off is easy.
    And there are scenarios when taking bulky winter gloves off isn't easy, or your hands or wet. Trade-offs. The primary use case isn't designed for people wearing motorcycle helmets, lol
    Face ID also does not work for Apple Pay while wearing a mask indoors at any retailer. I have to enter my passcode twice. Once to unlock and then again to initiate the OK to pay. Very annoying compared to the previous phone’s very reliable Touch ID.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    JinTech said:
    mike1 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Agree on non issues using my Apple Watch to pay for things when I am wearing a mask.
    We don’t all have Watches yet, mate.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 48
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,129member
    ralphie said:
    Apple also needs to get under display camera/sensors going as well.  I won't upgrade until "that notch" is relegated to the history books.
    That’s a ridiculous reason not to upgrade, but whatever. The only time I think about the notch is when some tool who hasn’t ever used it complains about it.

How do you expect a camera lenses and sensors, which have metal and electronic components that can’t be transparent, to become part of the display? Invisible metal? 
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 48

I waiting for 120mhz screen refresh and side touch id.  If Apple cannot do 120mhz, I accept the 90mhz speed.
    What is 120mhz going to do for you that the current 60mhz doesn’t? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48

Face ID also does not work for Apple Pay while wearing a mask indoors at any retailer. I have to enter my passcode twice. Once to unlock and then again to initiate the OK to pay. Very annoying compared to the previous phone’s very reliable Touch ID.
    There’s no need to unlock the phone before using Apple Pay. 

You’re welcome. 
    edited October 2020 XedStrangeDaysmike1Rayz2016watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,944member
    TouchID was mediocre at best.  It rarely worked.  If the Home button was dirty, from touching it all day, TouchID would not recognize your print.
    You must have has a broken phone. I had every one and they worked fabulously. The only time they didn’t is if my finger was wet. But for the most part, excellent. What didn’t work very well were all the laptop versions of years prior. TouchID changed all that. 
    NotoriousDEVmike1watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 48

mike1 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

And there are scenarios when taking bulky winter gloves off isn't easy, or your hands or wet. Trade-offs. The primary use case isn't designed for people wearing motorcycle helmets, lol
    A technology for scanning your face doesn’t work when your face is behind a mask? Shocking!

Also, you’re doing it wrong. You don’t need to enter it twice to use Apple Pay. With device locked, double-click the side button to initiate Apple Pay mode (works even if locked). Input passcode and wave over POST. 
    edited October 2020 mike1watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 48

JinTech said:
    mike1 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

We don’t all have Watches yet, mate.
    And some people don’t have fingers. So what? Life is full of compromise, and in the case or not wanting to remove your crash helmet you have options — if you don’t want to remove the helmet, get and use the Watch. No single solution is going to solve everyone’s problems. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 48
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    What's wrong with a BUTTON??????

I know it's trendy to have the display go to the edge, but it's also stupid.  Bezels are great, they give you something to hold. 

The home button is simply a better design than the up swipe.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    omasouomasou Posts: 606member
    TouchID is horrible. It rarely works well and if the finger is wet or if it's raining, forget about it.

I wouldn't mind if it never came back.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    I can’t see how hard this is for a 2 Trillion $ company to do this!!
    Samsung S20 & a small hole for the camera!! 
  • Reply 35 of 48
    XedXed Posts: 2,690member
    I can’t see how hard this is for a 2 Trillion $ company to do this!!
    Samsung S20 & a small hole for the camera!! 
    Sure, it's easy when you don't make a product that works.
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 48
    What Was wrong with having touchID home button?  Why take that out and replace the space with a notch?

Form? Function?  

• Reply 37 of 48
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    Apple may not want to confuse customers with two unlock authentications. One possibility is adding touch id on power button on iPhone SE3. If that becomes popular than Apple has created excellent low end popular iPhone for mass. Than, if COVID-19 stays longer than Apple will add touchid on power button to rest of iPhones along with FaceID. But, in future when under screen touchid becomes real good for Apple to adopt; than Apple will drop faceid and go for it.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 937member
    Meh. I’ve a short passcode coupled to the ten fails and it’s wiped security feature so with the instant switch to passcode when my iPhone detects a mask I’m fine. 

And yes, ApplePay is a double click to authenticate, Face ID or pay with passcode then hold to the sensor. Not hard at all. I pay for truck fuel that way routinely. 
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 48
    I am so glad to hear that it's still coming, I hope it does, so that customer's who need to wear masks will not be inconvenienced when the next pandemic hits.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,324member
    mike1 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Pretty much a very niche use case. Do you often use the phone while riding?
    watto_cobra