Apple releases iOS 14.1 and iPadOS 14.1 with bug fixes & iPhone 12 support

Posted:
in General Discussion
Just as the iPhone 12 is shipping to customers, Apple released the iOS 14.1 and iPadOS 14.1 updates with support for the latest devices and some bug fixes.

Apple releases iOS 14.1 and iPadOS 14.1
Apple releases iOS 14.1 and iPadOS 14.1

The updates can be installed on the iPhone and iPad via the usual update processes. While it can be set to run automatically, a manual update can be performed on the iPhone and iPad by opening the Settings app, selecting General, then Software Update.

This release comes a month after the official release of iOS 14 and iPadOS 14.

Bug fixes include:
  • Adds support for 10-bit HDR video playback and edit in Photos for iPhone 8 and later
    Addresses an issue where some widgets, folders, and icons were showing up in reduced size on the Home Screen

• Addresses an issue where dragging widgets on the Home Screen could remove apps from folders
    Fixes an issue where some emails in Mail were sent from an incorrect alias
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent incoming calls from displaying region information

• Fixes an issue on some devices where selecting zoomed display mode and an alphanumeric passcode could result in the Lock Screen emergency call button overlapping with the text input box

• Addresses an issue where some users were occasionally unable to download or add songs to their library while viewing an album or playlist

• Fixes an issue that could prevent zeroes from appearing in Calculator

• Resolves an issue where streaming video resolution could temporarily be reduced at the start of playback

• Fixes an issue that prevented setting up a family member's Apple Watch for some users

• Resolves an issue where the Apple Watch case material was displayed incorrectly in the Apple Watch app

• Addresses an issue in the Files app that could cause some MDM-managed cloud service providers to incorrectly display content as unavailable

• Improves compatibility with Ubiquiti wireless access points
iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 made changes including refreshing the Home screen and app interface, Messages and Safari, made major changes to Siri, added elements to Maps, introduced Sound Recognition alerts, and CarKey support, among other changes. The next-generation tvOS 14 brings better picture-in-picture support, HomeKit Doorbell alerts and camera feeds, UI customization and more to Apple's set-top streamer.

Apple is also testing out updates for iOS 14.2, iPadOS 14.2, watchOS 7.1, and tvOS 14.2 with developers, issuing the first beta on September 17, one day after the release of the milestone versions. So far, the first beta for iOS 14.2 has consisted of cosmetic updates to Control Center and a new Watch app icon, among other improvements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    No fix for GPS map bug?  So sad
    f1turbotwokatmew
  • Reply 2 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    oops - that's kind of important! Even better, it appears they fixed the issue where the calculator app would fail to enter digits if you pressed the buttons too quickly.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    MplsP said:
    oops - that's kind of important! Even better, it appears they fixed the issue where the calculator app would fail to enter digits if you pressed the buttons too quickly.
    I thought it was only me. I didn’t realize that was a bug. 
    twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    No need to fix a bug that doesn’t exist. Well, only in your mind, that is.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

And what bug is that?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mike1 said:

And what bug is that?
    We’ll never hear a response. it’s that thing where a turd is dropped on the floor and the one who dropped it waits to see who walks up and sniffs it. Unfortunately that's you and me. We fell for it.
    jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    14.1 seemed to fix the Smart Stack bug I was having on my iPhone 11: widgets in the stack would display for a split second before flashing away/disappearing.
    jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    fbjrfbjr Posts: 1member
    What? No battery drain fix? My iPhone 6s went from 98% to 21% within 5 min, more than once. I went back to iOS 13.7. I'll wait for 14.2 (or higher?).
    dysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 15
    fbjr said:
    What? No battery drain fix? My iPhone 6s went from 98% to 21% within 5 min, more than once. I went back to iOS 13.7. I'll wait for 14.2 (or higher?).
    That isn’t a battery drain bug. That is a failed battery. No lithium-ion battery can discharge that quickly without burning up. 

One post, probably just trolling.
    watto_cobraJFC_PA
  • Reply 10 of 15
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    lkrupp said:
    No need to fix a bug that doesn’t exist. Well, only in your mind, that is.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211865

You shouldn’t have to wipe your phone after every update so GPS and heart rate data from the watch work again (and old tracks are never recovered). This has been widely reported. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 15
    GarageBand now crashes continuously. This is in addition to the AU extension flaw introduced with the prior update. As far as I’m concerned this is a disastrous update for creative people/ musicians.
    muthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 12 of 15
    ; It is fixed >

edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mike1 said:

And what bug is that?
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251801586?answerId=253700915022&login=true
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    lkrupp said:
    mike1 said:

And what bug is that?
    We’ll never hear a response. it’s that thing where a turd is dropped on the floor and the one who dropped it waits to see who walks up and sniffs it. Unfortunately that's you and me. We fell for it.
    There was a response. The turd was yours.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

Describe the bug and maybe someone has a suggested fix? If this was a widespread issues, we'd be hearing about it.