Apple renews sports comedy 'Ted Lasso' for third season

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple TV+ sports comedy "Ted Lasso" gains a third season ahead of its second season start of production.

"Ted Lasso," which made its debut to Apple's streaming service on August 14, was developed by Jason Sudeikis, Lawrence, Joe Kelly, and Brendan Hunt, and is based on the pre-existing format and characters from NBC Sports.

Following its first season's success, the series has been renewed for both a second and third season. Apple had renewed the series in August, less than one week after the series' premiere.

We agree. @TedLasso will be returning for a second & third season! https://t.co/uzBBajmPyJ https://t.co/QTjU0urgYb pic.twitter.com/HRiVkpWWzG

-- Apple TV (@AppleTV)

The series was developed by Jason Sudeikis, Lawrence, Joe Kelly, and Brendan Hunt, and is based on the pre-existing format and characters from NBC Sports.

The show follows Lasso, a former college football coach, as he shifts from small-time coaching in the United States to coaching a professional soccer team in England -- despite having no experience coaching the sport known as "football" in that country.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I really liked the first season. I saw a review somewhere (maybe on AI) that didn’t like it but I’m glad I ignored it and gave the show a shot. I guess Apple is happy with the results so far, too!

Is it common to order seasons so quickly?
    applguyBeatslolliverleavingthebigg
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Best news this month!
    Thanks!!!
    Beatsgeorge kaplanlolliver
  • Reply 3 of 11
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    Great!  We loved S01 and were stoked to hear it got the nod for S02.  I am sure that having approval for a third season really gives the writers some freedom to expand their storylines without worrying about getting the axe before they can wrap things up.
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 11
    start to finish a pure joy to watch. I’m very happy for further seasons. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I really liked the first season. I saw a review somewhere (maybe on AI) that didn’t like it but I’m glad I ignored it and gave the show a shot. I guess Apple is happy with the results so far, too!

Yup, it was AI. The review was panned in reviews. 
    lolliverleavingthebigg
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Rayz2016 said:

In fairness—many reviews were based on first 3 episodes. The “Major League” references were common because the show wouldn’t show its hand until Ep 4 or 5. It was easy to assume this was a derivative concept. I think a lot of those who panned the series on that small sampling had to change their assessment when the first run was completed.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Rayz2016 said:

In fairness—many reviews were based on first 3 episodes. The “Major League” references were common because the show wouldn’t show its hand until Ep 4 or 5. It was easy to assume this was a derivative concept. I think a lot of those who panned the series on that small sampling had to change their assessment when the first run was completed.
    To be fair, it was clear by episode 2 exactly what this show was.

Glad and not surprised Apple committed to this.  Didn't we read here that it's Apple's biggest hit?

Let's see if this works...

edited October 2020
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I love this show. So much more to it than some random coaching a team in a sport that he knows nothing about.

Glad it's here for two more seasons.
    michelb76
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rayz2016 said:

The folk who panned the AI review had seen one, maybe two episodes, and still managed to peg it as a winner. Anyone can spot a winner in hindsight. The trick is to recognise potential. 
    danncer
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Love this show. Rare gem amidst some of the dreck that has flowing out of writers/producers in the past years.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Great show, looked forward to the new episode every Friday!  Now looking forward to the new seasons!