Newbie Question - DVD

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What's the difference between a DVD-R and a DVD-RW?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EdinLA43

What's the difference between a DVD-R and a DVD-RW?

DVD-RW can be rewritten to multiple times. DVD-R can be written to only once.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    What is the difference between the - format and the + format. I know that there is a lot of controversy about these two, but what is the difference?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

What is the difference between the - format and the + format. I know that there is a lot of controversy about these two, but what is the difference?

Competing formats, which do the same thing. DVD+RW was created by the people who didn't like DVD-RW. Apparently, DVD-RW has compatiblity issues with old DVD players. The difference between the two formats has something to do with the way the substrate on the DVD is melted. The DVD+RW method is apparently better. Another difference is DVD+RW discs spin at a constant velocity meaning data is written to the outside of the disc faster than the inside. DVD-RW is variable velocity, meaning the speed the disc spins is decreased as you move out to maintain constant write speeds.

In truth, I wouldn't worry about the whole DVD-RW versus DVD+RW thing. They both work, well. I'd go with which ever format has the cheapest media, and right now that's DVD-RW.