MacBook Air, 13- and 16-inch MacBook Pro reportedly first Apple Silicon Macs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Apple's first Apple Silicon Macs, set to make their debut at a recently announced Nov. 10 event, could include both sizes of MacBook Pro and a new MacBook Air.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The Cupertino tech giant announced the Nov. 10 "One more thing" event on Monday, and Apple Silicon Macs are almost certainly on the docket. Which specific Macs will be the first to receive Apple-designed processors is still unclear.

Now, Bloomberg reports that Apple will equip three new MacBook models with their proprietary silicon, citing sources familiar with the matter. That will include a 13-inch MacBook Pro, a 16-inch MacBook Pro, and a 13-inch MacBook Air.

Beyond being equipped with a new Apple chip thought to be based on the A14, the new notebooks reportedly won't see any other major design changes. The new Apple chips could boost power efficiency, performance, and integration with the company's broader ecosystem, however.

Earlier on Monday, a prominent leaker hinted that the Apple event could see the debut of two new 13-inch MacBook models. In this case, those could be the smaller MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air.

Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also forecast that the first Apple Silicon Macs could be a 13-inch MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air. He suggested that a 16-inch model with an Apple chip could arrive in early 2021.

Based on Bloomberg's sources, it appears that all three of those predicted models could be announced at Apple's Nov. 10 event, but with varying release dates. The piece also suggests that Apple is working on a new Apple Silicon iMac, as well as a redesigned and smaller Mac Pro with an Apple processor.

Various regulatory filings have also indicated that new MacBook models are just over the horizon, including a battery filing in Korea and a new "personal computer" filing in a Bluetooth database.

Apple is also reportedly working on a new 14-inch MacBook Pro and other MacBook models, though those may not be ready for release until 2021.

Along with the Apple Silicon MacBooks, Apple could also debut new "AirTags" tracking accessories, more AirPods models, and macOS Big Sur at the 10 a.m. Pacific keynote on Nov. 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    They'd better have at least 1080p webcams.
    pulseimageswilliamlondonspock1234
  • Reply 2 of 26
    I wonder if the COVID upheaval has forced Apple to abandon the hardware redesigns and focus on getting the new Silicon out the door in existing enclosures before the end of the year. They can always introduce new form factors next year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    I still don’t think we’ll see 16-inch this year, but I agree with “no major design changes.”  Making everything an iPad is ridiculous.
    williamlondonspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    DuhSesame said:
    I still don’t think we’ll see 16-inch this year, but I agree with “no major design changes.”  Making everything an iPad is ridiculous.
    I don't think so either, but I'd sure love to. I won't commit until I see it, but I think the odds are good that I'll buy the first generation 16" MBP using ASi.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    cpsro said:
    They'd better have at least 1080p webcams.
    If they get a good price from their parts suppilers...
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 6 of 26
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member

I wonder if the COVID upheaval has forced Apple to abandon the hardware redesigns and focus on getting the new Silicon out the door in existing enclosures before the end of the year. They can always introduce new form factors next year. 
    That would be my guess too.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Nope, following the leaks that have been around since before Apple even announced the transition that has always been the plan since the beginning. 
    entropysspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    What COVID upheaval? There is no reason for constrained production in China. 
    China reports it has only had 86,000 cases in total, and only 24 new cases Nationwide yesterday! 
    williamlondonmacplusplus80s_Apple_Guyspock1234NotoriousDEVwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Any chance that the mooted return of the 12” MacBook and the new 13” Air are the same machine? A new MacBook in the 12” form factor but smaller bezels so 13”? Maybe combing the best of both - do extra port, Touch ID?
    ne1raoulduke42spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    If it only has one port it is dead to me.
    ne1williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 26
    ne1ne1 Posts: 69member
    Any chance that the mooted return of the 12” MacBook and the new 13” Air are the same machine? A new MacBook in the 12” form factor but smaller bezels so 13”? Maybe combing the best of both - do extra port, Touch ID?
    I hope this is true. Would trade in my existing 12” MB in a heartbeat for something with 15-20 hour battery life. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    ne1 said:
    I hope this is true. Would trade in my existing 12” MB in a heartbeat for something with 15-20 hour battery life. 
    And another port.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Transitioning to Apple Silicon would have made a great moment to transition to a new design also. Reusing the same design would be a bit disappointing, especially the monitor bezels feel dated. 
    That said it would be impressive if they are able to make a high performing 16” version with a custom GPU that can match AMD’s.

I am personally waiting for a new desktop Mac. A high performing machine for at home that hasn’t got the ridiculous price of a Mac Pro but the expandability of a PC. A more environmental friendly one that doesn’t glue monitor, SSD and motherboard together. 
  • Reply 14 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Whole new era of MacBook is starting. First with Apple Si based MacBook Air,13” Pro is right choice. In fact Apple will nail it out of gate. Doesn’t matter if familiar external case look stays same as current design. Still new MacBooks. Those in market for new MacBooks will jump on it, others can wait for future release.
    williamlondonspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    If they do this, then the whole MacBook line is transitioning to Apple Silicon all at once. That’s awesome, but not sure about 16-inch being released.

*fingers crossed*

Since we are focused on MacBooks right now, these chips are closer to what we’ve seen in iPhones and iPads.

So, my biggest question is this:

Is the A14 sufficient for a 12-inch MacBook and 13-inch MacBook Air? Or, does macOS require an A14X at minimum?

The baseline (A14 or A14X) means that the pros have to be better. A14Z in 13-inch? What does 16-inch get?

cant wait to see the starting point and then the difference compared to MBP’s.
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    I don’t get why they’d release a new 13” instead of doing the 14” update like they did from 15” to 16”.  Unless COVID prevented it. I would buy the 14” on day 1. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    entropys said:
    China reports it has only had 86,000 cases in total, and only 24 new cases Nationwide yesterday! 
    Everyone is working from home. Travel restrictions in place and usually new products require a ton of travel to/from China and elsewhere. Not that hard to figure out. 

That said, they’ve been nailing most everything this year in spite of all these setbacks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    I don’t get why they’d release a new 13” instead of doing the 14” update like they did from 15” to 16”.  Unless COVID prevented it. I would buy the 14” on day 1. 

Same here, It would be tempting to get a 14" MacBook Pro though. I'm still rocking a 13" Mid-2012 MacBook Pro and it's running great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    entropys said:
    That reminds me of an old joke about how no one drives in NYC because there is too much traffic.

Assuming your post is serious, the* modern countries that locked down (purposely constrained themselves for a set time) have the fewest cases per capita.

* All but one.
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 26
    I suspect no 3rd party GPUs
    watto_cobra