New macOS 10.15.7 supplemental update fixes exploitable security flaws

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Apple has released a new supplemental update for macOS Catalina 10.15.7 that contains fixes for several security flaws that have been used in the wild.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The macOS 10.15.7 Supplemental Update, which Apple recommends all users download, can be acquired by heading into the Update menu in System Preferences.

According to Apple's security updates webpage, the macOS update patches three flaws discovered by Google's Project Zero team of bug hunters.

That includes a vulnerability that could allow maliciously crafted fonts to execute arbitrary code, as well as two kernel flaws that may allow malicious applications to execute code with kernel privileges and disclose kernel memory. Apple says it is aware of reports that exploits for all three security vulnerabilities have been discovered in the wild.

The Supplemental Update comes about one month after Apple released macOS 10.15.7, which contained a handful of bug fixes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Unlike Windows, you can count on Apple to fix vulnerable security flaws to fix it sooner.
    caladanianpulseimagesPetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Always keep your system updated, no matter what the naysayers whine about how they have to stay where they are because of this or that. It just means they have borked systems to begin with. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    My old iMac sat with the Apple Logo Progress Bar 1cm complete for about 30 minutes before continuing.

But, now it looks to have installed without an issue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    We have 3 Late 2012 MacMini's at home and not one of them can run Catalina. All our MacMini's slow to a crawl, video is rendered jerkily at no more than 15fps, and, finally, the killer is the Magic trackpad 2's (or any Apple mouse wired/less) and keyboard. Each and every click on the trackpad 2's or tap on a keyboard key hangs the entire system on each MacMini for 30-40 seconds....sometimes one can wait a full 10 minutes before control is handed back. We have upgraded the RAM to 16Gb (the max) in each Mini and fitted SSD's. Still, the problem is apparent. Apple Support keep telling us to carry out fresh installs of Catalina which each of us has done no fewer than 4 times and the Macs still respond with the speed of a slug. I updated back to Mojave and everything works just fine. Now we are all pissed off that Apple keep reminding us that an OS update (Catalina) is available when the truth is Catalina will not run on Late 2012 MacMini's. It's a dead-end. Anyone here managed to get Catalina running absolutely flawlessly on their 2012 MacMini?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    We have 3 Late 2012 MacMini's at home and not one of them can run Catalina. All our MacMini's slow to a crawl, video is rendered jerkily at no more than 15fps, and, finally, the killer is the Magic trackpad 2's (or any Apple mouse wired/less) and keyboard. Each and every click on the trackpad 2's or tap on a keyboard key hangs the entire system on each MacMini for 30-40 seconds....sometimes one can wait a full 10 minutes before control is handed back. We have upgraded the RAM to 16Gb (the max) in each Mini and fitted SSD's. Still, the problem is apparent. Apple Support keep telling us to carry out fresh installs of Catalina which each of us has done no fewer than 4 times and the Macs still respond with the speed of a slug. I updated back to Mojave and everything works just fine. Now we are all pissed off that Apple keep reminding us that an OS update (Catalina) is available when the truth is Catalina will not run on Late 2012 MacMini's. It's a dead-end. Anyone here managed to get Catalina running absolutely flawlessly on their 2012 MacMini?
    And your ancient machines will not even install, let alone run, Big Sur. So there’s that. New operating systems consume ever more resources and require ever more horsepower to do what they do. The hardware must advance with them. Be happy on Mojave.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I have a 16” MacBook Pro. When I ran the update, my system initially started out with a white screen. Then, my computer’s fan ran really heavy before it randomly shut off twice during the install process. When I woke up this morning, it was operating properly.

this was the first time I’ve ever seen an update behave erratically on a Mac. Should I be concerned?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    After updating to 10.15.7 supplemental update my external drive I use for Time Machine no longer mounts when I connect. Any ideas??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MikeDPar said:
    After updating to 10.15.7 supplemental update my external drive I use for Time Machine no longer mounts when I connect. Any ideas??
    Yeah, hire someone who knows what they are doing to fix it. It’s like a car, man. You own and operate an automobile but when it breaks you take it to a mechanic because you don't have the tools or experience to fix it yourself. Same goes for computers and the software that runs on them. And there are good mechanics sand bad mechanics just like there are good computer technicians and bad ones. Free advice from the Internet can be iffy at best too.
    watto_cobra