HomePod mini delivery dates slipping rapidly, especially for Space Gray model

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Apple has been taking so many pre-orders for the HomePod mini that it has quickly had to push back its quoted delivery dates around the world, sometimes up to two months.

HomePod mini Pair

As good a smart speaker as it is, the original HomePod was never a huge success. However, if early orders are an indication, the new HomePod mini is a hit. Within hours of pre-orders beginning, some delivery dates worldwide have slipped by weeks.

While that applies in every store that AppleInsider checked around the world, the new delivery dates vary very widely. And the Space Gray HomePod mini appears to be by far the most popular of the two color options.

There is only so much you can deduce from estimated delivery dates as Apple does not release any details whatsoever about its stock levels. Nonetheless, in the US if you want a white HomePod mini, you can still get it on November 13

Whereas if you want the Space Gray one in the States, you have to wait 2-3 weeks.

Around the world, the Space Gray model is mostly back-ordered to around that same degree. Some stores are quoting dates equivalent to about 3-4 weeks for the Space Gray model, including the UK, Canada, and France.

One exception is Germany, where at time of writing a newly-ordered Space Gray HomePod mini will not arrive for between 6 and 7 weeks. Germany is the one country we found where the white model is actually worse, at 7 to 8 weeks estimated delivery.

Otherwise, the white edition is proving reasonably available. As well as the US, both France and Canada are quoting November 13. It has dropped back to between November 18 and 23 in the UK and Japan, however.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod or HomePod mini. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Got in with mine straight away today (UK), currently says "Arrives 5 - 7 business days" - discovered very cool Siri thing, you can add a check order status command to Siri right from the Apple Store app, colour me impressed! Can't wait until it arrives.
    buttesilverlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I ordered two for xmas gifts.  Wanted 4 but 2 is the max.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    Wife will order other two.  Price point and size are right this time for more folks I imagine.  I like my HomePod, but it's larger than looks good in many smaller spaces...
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I ordered two for xmas gifts.  Wanted 4 but 2 is the max.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    Wife will order other two.  Price point and size are right this time for more folks I imagine.  I like my HomePod, but it's larger than looks good in many smaller spaces...
    What a great xmas gift to receive, a couple of lucky people I'd say are on your list. Hope you're going to keep either/both of the ones your wife orders. :smile: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    My white HomePod mini is due 11/17-11/19 while the space gray version is due 11/19-11/24. 

I find it interesting that not only is the estimated delivery date for the space gray later, it’s also a larger delivery window (even when accounting for the weekend). I’ve found that Apple tends to under-promise and over-deliver when it comes to arrival dates so maybe they will come earlier than shown. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I liked the white one better. Shrug. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Got two HomePod minis for delivery first day.  They’re for the bedroom as already have two HomePods in the living room.  Might choose to put one in the kitchen though, we will see.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    This article is incorrect. Delivery was never 11/13.

Apple had stated 11/16 at the earliest. This has slipped to December for gray version.
    StrangeDaysfastasleeplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Got into the order right after they opened it up.  Estimated delivery for Slate Grey is Nov 17-19.
    jahbladewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Wgkrueger said:
    Got into the order right after they opened it up.  Estimated delivery for Slate Grey is Nov 17-19.
    Same for me.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    I expect a lot of people like white. I didn’t even consider it because it would tend get dingy over time.  A speaker will tend to stay in place catching dust. 
    winstoner71watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I ordered one, which should arrive with the first wave.  I figured I would see how it sounds and works, before ordering a second, as I really want to have stereo sound using two of them in my kitchen / dining room.  And as others have noted, these could be great Christmas presents for those living in the Apple ecosystem.
    williamlondonjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    williamh said:
    I expect a lot of people like white. I didn’t even consider it because it would tend get dingy over time.  A speaker will tend to stay in place catching dust. 
    For me it’s the opposite. I have a white and a space gray HomePod. The space gray one shows the dust much more than the white one does.
    StrangeDaysJapheyfastasleepwinstoner71watto_cobraDogperson
  • Reply 13 of 16
    williamh said:
    Fair enough. I will say we have a white Google Home (blame the wife) in the kitchen and a white Echo in the kids room, both for a pretty long time, and they still look pretty nice. I for one am not concerned about the white getting too dirty. And if it does, I’ll just give it a wipe now and then. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobraDogperson
  • Reply 14 of 16
    williamh said:
    For me it’s the opposite. I have a white and a space gray HomePod. The space gray one shows the dust much more than the white one does.
    As is generally known, dark things attract light coloured dust whereas light things attract dark coloured dust. It’s a lose-lose situation. ;-)
    ihatescreennameswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    williamh said:
    Yup, the white would go well with our kitchen, but after a few years, the HomePod will be a slightly mucky yellow. 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

williamh said:
    Fair enough. I will say we have a white Google Home (blame the wife) in the kitchen and a white Echo in the kids room, both for a pretty long time, and they still look pretty nice. I for one am not concerned about the white getting too dirty. And if it does, I’ll just give it a wipe now and then. 
    Mmm. Yes. I could clean it. Why didn’t I think of that?