New 'Behind the Mac' ad features Kendrick Lamar, Gloria Steinem, Billie Eilish, more

Posted:
in General Discussion
Aired during Apple's "One More Thing" special event on Tuesday, a new "Behind the Mac" ad showcases notable figures who use the platform to create music, television, movies and more.

Simpsons

Like past "Behind the Mac" campaigns, today's spot runs just over a minute in length and features celebrities, musicians, journalists and other content creators who rely on Mac for work.

Set to Raury's "Take Back the Power," the ad transitions between photographs and video clips of Kendrick Lamar, Gloria Steinem, Billie Eilish, RuPaul, Tarana Burke, Spike Lee, Stephen Colbert, Takashi Murakami, and Saul Perlmutter. They are all seen using Mac -- typically some ilk of MacBook -- as they work on their respective projects.

According to Apple, those who participated in the commercial "honor" SMASH.org, an organization that seeks to build a diverse tech workforce by providing equal access to STEM for students of color.

The series first aired in 2018, with subsequent permutations focusing on celebrity use. A type of customer testimonial, the ads are expertly crafted to show, not tell, Mac's ability to augment, enhance and facilitate the creative process.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    XedXed Posts: 2,547member
    LOL I love how that list of names upsets a certain kind of person.
    Oferjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Lisa Simpson using a "Mapple" computer struck me as a somewhat odd inclusion. I still like it though!
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Xed said:
    And this is relevant to the article in what way?
    cat52
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Lisa Simpson using a "Mapple" computer struck me as a somewhat odd inclusion. I still like it though!
    I think that particular Mapple model cost about half Homer’s entire household income for the year, which I suppose makes it a bit poignant.

The Simpson’s episode did get the right idea about the Cube, which never sold.

I considered buying one but noticed the regular Mac Pro was a much better deal.

And Apple is still figuring out what we want and selling it to us, year after year, even without Steve Mobs.  The Simpsons episode was very funny and very accurate.  And you could tell that despite the bitter satire, at heart they really loved Apple.  Funny, that.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Lisa's Mapple computer includes four Thunderbolt ports, unlike the new Mac Mini, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air which have only two Thunderbolt ports each.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Lisa's Mapple computer includes four Thunderbolt ports, unlike the new Mac Mini, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air which have only two Thunderbolt ports each.
    And so did the older computers that these new ones are being replaced by (except the Mac mini.)
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    mobird said:
    Xed said:
    And this is relevant to the article in what way?
    It is relevant insofar as the article mentioned the list of names and then someone then shared their feelings about the content of that list.  Really, that's what we all do here.  We share our feelings even if not everyone agrees with our feelings.
    fred1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    JinTech said:
    And so did the older computers that these new ones are being replaced by (except the Mac mini.)
    2018 Mac mini has 4 x TB 3 ports.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    nicholfd said:
    JinTech said:
    2018 Mac mini has 4 x TB 3 ports.
    Before I made my comment I went online and visually validated each model that I named. But somehow I made a mistake anyway. In fact I even own a 2018 Intel Mac Mini and didn't check it. Sorry, thanks. Anyway, it's not the worst mistake I ever made in my life, or even on this website. EDIT: Upon reflection, I think I looked at the two USB ports on the 2018 Mac Mini and interpreted that as two TB ports.
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MaxLe0p0ldMaxLe0p0ld Posts: 31unconfirmed, member
    Funny, how most of those Macs still have a LIT APLLE LOGO - which most newer Macs no longer have - which is a real pity !
    cat52watto_cobra