Group SMS issues plague iPhone 12 upgraders

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Tower72Tower72 Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    DangDave said:
    The title of this post states Group SMS issues , though none of the issues discussed in this post seem to have have anything to do with SMS. You can send SMS to a group of contacts but they are sent individually to each contact and there are no ties back to the original group or list of users. If you have MMS enabled and put in more than one contact and at least one non-iMessage contact your SMS will switch to MMS. Your SMS will also switch to MMS when you add a photo, video, or any other non-text item. Each carrier has their own size limits for MMS and these vary from roughly 600kb to roughly 1.2 MB and most carriers require that you have your cellular data turned on, even though some carriers do not charge you for the data used. 

The better the camera on your Phone, the larger the photo, which means that people with the new iPhones are probably exceeding the MMS size limits and may need to enable “Low Quality Image Mode” in their messaging settings if they are using MMS rather than iMessage or email which have much larger limits. 
    I have already tried the "low quality" option, still fails to send to android users..This also happens with screenshots that do not involve my camera at all .Then there is this article https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/11/14/apple-iphone-12-pro-max-mini-sms-text-message-failure-send-receive-ios-14-upgrade/?sh=79c8a495ba87

That also mentions regular SMS and also lumps in the issue I am having, along with the Group Chat bug as well, so it seems it falls under the same umbrella 
  • Reply 22 of 23
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    sdw2001 said:
    I upgraded to iPhone 12 Pro Max and 14.2. No issues. 
    Great. Thanks. Therefore it must be automatically true for all.
    I’m waiting for strangedays to say he isn’t having the problem so everyone else must be making it up!
    chemengin1
  • Reply 23 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    There have been well-documented problems with mixed MMS messages not sending photos, especially over WiFi, for ages.
    In order for me to send a photo on a mixed group chat, I will usually, but not always, have to turn off WiFi and stand outside where the cell signal is stronger in order to send the message. SMS messages seem not to have the problem. This was the case with my iPhone X and now with the 12Pro.

I've also noticed that the inclusion of one particular non-iPhone user with T-Mobile service seems to cause the issue more frequently.

I recently had one instance where I did not receive one message in a mixed group text, but received all subsequent messages. I knew I missed one message because I was with the person who sent it.

Also, It used to be that when I would go out and leave my WiFi network and was using cellular data, I would sometimes receive a deluge of previously undelivered group messages. This issue seems to have stopped.

I strongly suspect the above issues are primarily carrier-related. Maybe iOS has something to do with the iMessage to MMS hand off for mixed messages.