iPhone 12 mini users report touch issues when using case and screen protector

Posted:
in iPhone
A number of iPhone 12 mini users are reporting issues with the touchscreen, with the smallest iPhone becoming unresponsive to touch input when it is inside a case and using a screen protector.

Posts made to the Apple Support forum indicate a number of customers who have bought the iPhone 12 mini are enduring similar problems with its use. For customers electing to protect their new purchase, some are discovering that the case and display protector they are using could stop the iPhone from working properly.

Forum posts mention the touchscreen being unresponsive, preventing users from unlocking or swiping, or even failing to accept touch inputs at all. The problem is also intermittent, with touch inputs being accepted sometimes, but not at others.

A common theme across the complaints is that the iPhone is put into a case and is protected by a screen protector. For some people who thought the protector was being an issue, exchanging it for another didn't fix the issue, but removing it entirely did.

In a few situations, using just the screen protector worked fine without the case, but the unresponsiveness manifested when a case was added to the mix.

Similar posts made to Reddit discussing the problem reveal even more people are affected than just those reporting in Apple's Support Communities. The relatively large number of complaints suggests it may not necessarily be a bad batch of iPhones, but could be an indicator of a wider-scale problem.

While there is no official word from Apple on what is causing these touchscreen issues, a likely culprit could be the technology behind capacitive touch input. As a system that relies on electrical changes caused through touches, it is possible that insulating the iPhone from the user entirely makes it hard for such a system to properly function.

Some users mention how touching the casing of the iPhone allowed the touch inputs to work, which suggests it could be a form of grounding issue. It's also possible that systems for detecting genuine touch events or accidental touches may be considering the partially insulated touches as being accidental rather than purposeful.

If it is the latter, a software update could fix the problem.
hopeyc328

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    With the new ceramic shield glass on the phones, is there even a need for additional screen protectors??   I personally have never used them but I know some people think they need them.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I had this exact issue! I was wondering why my mini was not responding to my touch at all when trying to open the Lock Screen. Yes, I am using screen protector and thin case. 
    hopeyc328
  • Reply 3 of 21
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    M68000 said:
    With the new ceramic shield glass on the phones, is there even a need for additional screen protectors??   I personally have never used them but I know some people think they need them.
    They still scratch. I've had scratches on them. And I like to keep it pristine free of scratches and nicks. 
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Is this just because the cases are slightly too small? If it’s made to grip the phone tightly and you add another layer of glass, some cases squeeze the edges of the screen.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Odd. My Zagg glass screen protector arrives tomorrow for my new iPhone 12 mini.  I’ll update if I see any issues. 
  • Reply 6 of 21
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    I guess I’m alone in thinking that screen protectors are more annoying than they are worth?  They slightly alter\distort what the screen should be showing.  In addition, are they another layer that affects the thermal properties of the phone - like keeping the heat in?    No thanks.
    MJG33
  • Reply 7 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    M68000 said:
    I guess I’m alone in thinking that screen protectors are more annoying than they are worth?  They slightly alter\distort what the screen should be showing.  In addition, are they another layer that affects the thermal properties of the phone - like keeping the heat in?    No thanks.
    No, you are not. But other people prefer that extra level of security.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    balubalu Posts: 13member
    M68000 said:
    I don’t see or experience drawbacks you describe. Been using screen protectors without problems on iPhones and iPad. Wouldn’t want to be without screen protector to keep screen in best condition which is not a given without imho
    Toyoga
  • Reply 9 of 21
    netrox said:
    I had this exact issue! I was wondering why my mini was not responding to my touch at all when trying to open the Lock Screen. Yes, I am using screen protector and thin case. 
    Same here!!! I’m using a thin Peel case with their screen protector. Only notice issue during the Lock Screen and entering my passcode. Extremely frustrating. 
  • Reply 10 of 21
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    Wallet cases make for good screen protectors without using a screen protector...

I'm getting a 12 mini soon. Case recommendations?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    ScreenGate  :p Waiting for the Android trolls to arrive... 3...2...1... 
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I just wanted to share my experience.  Wrestled with touch screen issues all weekend.  Finally took the "Lemon" back to the store.  They tried every case in the store with the same issues.  Out of the case - there are no issues with the log in screen.  In a case it struggles.  They replace the phone - new phone has the same issues!
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ScreenGate  :p Waiting for the Android trolls to arrive... 3...2...1... 

I bet they test with cases because they make cases.

And I bet they test with the Belkin screen protector because they sell them.

Now, did they test with both the screen protector AND the case?

• Reply 14 of 21
    I've got te same problem. Used already 3 screen protectors and 2 cases... :D
  • Reply 15 of 21
    I have a Zagg screen protector and Evutec case...same problems as others unlocking and getting to the Home Screen. But also can’t accept a call or hang up a call. Once I take the case off and leave the Zagg on everything works perfectly. This really sucks because I like the case for two reasons, it protects the phone and also makes it easier to hold.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I have just installed my Zagg screen protector and have the phone in an Apple leather case. No issues as of yet. Everything seems to work fine. 
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Same lockscreen touch issues here. More so when trying to use passcode vs just swiping up. 
    Had issue without a glass screen protector but possibly slightly worse with one (spiegen). 
    Only when unplugged and in a case (rhinoshield). Functions fine without case or if plugged in. 

Apple chat has had me update, toggle passcode on/off, and restart the phone. 
    Problem still persists. Asked me to backup and awaiting further instructions for a while now.   
  • Reply 18 of 21
    So now I take what I said back. Only see the problem when trying to unlock with a passcode.... the screen becomes very unresponsive and you have to be very deliberate with your touch to register presses. I found that making very light taps, not heavy presses, seems to alleviate the issue. 

For some reason, I’m reminded of a similar problem I had with my old iPhone SE (1st gen), where the “1” button on the passcode would sometimes fail to register. This manifested after an iOS update, and was later fixed in the next year’s update. I can’t remember which versions now, but the problem came with an update and left with an update. 

Does the touchscreen capacitance sensitivity  function at a reduced level prior to unlocking? Power saving measure?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    UPDATE: ios 14.2.1 appears to have solved the issue! 
    This am I woke up to a perfectly functioning iphone 12 mini. 
    Great job coming up with a fix quickly on apples end. 
  • Reply 20 of 21
    rwabel9rwabel9 Posts: 1member
    Intermittent touch screen problems still here on my 5 day old mini. Super annoying! Should have kept my 8!