M1 Mac mini catapulted Apple to number one in Japanese desktop PC market

Posted:
in General Discussion
The new M1-equipped Mac mini has propelled Apple to the number one spot in the Japanese desktop PC market in the two weeks after the device's launch.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

That's according to new data from Japanese analysis firm BCN Retail, which aggregated the sales data of mass retailers and online stores in the country. In the period between August 1 and November 3, Apple held a 15% share of the desktop PC market in Japan and was fighting for third place with Lenovo.

With the launch of the first Apple Silicon Mac mini on November 17, BCN Retail tracked a surge in Apple computer sales that resulted in the Cupertino tech giant taking the number one spot by sales volume. BCN Retail reports that Apple now has 27.1% of the market, increasing 14.4% percentage points in a single week.

Apple's Mac lineup has had one of the best years in some time in 2020, driven largely by tailwinds from the new remote education and work-from-home environment during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. In its Q4 2020 earnings report, Apple announced all-time record high revenues for the Mac segment.

The 2020 Mac mini is Apple's first desktop with a proprietary M1 chipset, which includes an eight-core CPU, eight-core GPU, and unified memory. In benchmark testing, the M1 chip beat out the higher-tier Intel Mac mini by large margins.

Apple's new M1-equipped Mac mini starts at $699, which nets users the M1 chip, 8GB of unified memory, and 256GB of internal SSD storage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    The price/performance/volume and per watt of the mini means that for some use cases, buying a ton of them and putting them in a server rack might make a lot of sense.

For my own purposes the biggest hang up is the lack of a FORTRAN compiler. Next time I’m in the market to replace my Linux box, I’ll seriously consider 4 minis  if they continue to be this competitive and the compiler issue is resolved.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Wow. Apple really hit it out of the park with M1. They really are years ahead with this. it may even be an insurmountable lead. Advances like this do just not just fall from trees. M1 reflects 10 year or more R&D, and the ability to put all the pieces together.
    gilly33red oakforegoneconclusionjas99BeatsJWSCwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 21
    It’a a phenomenal computer. I’ve been enjoying it so far.
    jas99Beatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 21
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    blastdoor said:
    The price/performance/volume and per watt of the mini means that for some use cases, buying a ton of them and putting them in a server rack might make a lot of sense.

For my own purposes the biggest hang up is the lack of a FORTRAN compiler. Next time I’m in the market to replace my Linux box, I’ll seriously consider 4 minis  if they continue to be this competitive and the compiler issue is resolved.
    What about Abstoft's FORTRAN compiler? Likewise, I think GCC (with the gfortan option) can compile FORTRAN code.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 21
    blastdoor said:

Wait, isn't there an gcc-fortran extension of the gcc compiler for ARM Linux? 

https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/arm/gcc-fortran

I thought that gcc not working on M1 was just a rumour? 
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Yeah? What do you like about it? I’m thinking about getting one as I ditch my 2012 iMac. This new chip has me curious about the Mini for the first time. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    steven n. said:
    blastdoor said:

What about Abstoft's FORTRAN compiler? Likewise, I think GCC (with the gfortan option) can compile FORTRAN code.
    While this should work as the link states specific support for MacOS Big Sur using the Xcode C/C++ compiler (which means it doesn't use the gcc):

1. It is expensive. (Whereas gcc-fortran is free.)
    2. It is only Fortran 95 (with Fortran 2003 and 2008 features). @blastdoor almost certainly wants gcc-fortran 10, which is based on Fortran 2018.

The alternative: pay a ton in licensing for a badly outdated Fortran version. Better off sticking with the Intel Mac on the current machine until gcc is available, which according to what I read would occur in 2Q 2021. That is, if it isn't a rumour in the first place. Also, even if it isn't a rumour, I severely doubt that it will take that long. There are CERTAINLY a bunch of open source types building and testing gcc against M1 Macs as we speak and will likely have their first submits in a few weeks.

ALSO ... would an 8/16 GB machine be sufficient for Fortran stuff anyway? That sounds like 64 GB Mac Pro stuff to me. So ... maybe wait till the M1X Macs with 32/64 GB come out in 2021? That way both the necessary hardware and up-to-date free and open source software should be available. As impressive as the M1 MBA/MBP/Mac Minis are, they are still entry level machines whose performance is roughly akin to hexacore AMD and Intel CPUs (even if they run a lot cooler and use much less power). 
  • Reply 8 of 21
    gilly33 said:
    I’m thinking about getting one as I ditch my 2012 iMac. This new chip has me curious about the Mini for the first time. 
    I haven't bought one (yet) as I am still waiting on either/or an old HP or Dell to die (and I also need VMWare on it) but you get performance that surpasses an Intel Core i7 i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 5 3600U at a fraction of the power/heat (5W vs 65W) for $699. To extrapolate, that exceeds the performance of the smaller $1500 iMac with 8 GB RAM. Of course, said iMac has a 21.5' 4K monitor ... but one of similar caliber can be had for about $400-500 I guess so you would still be ahead.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 21
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    I'm using all 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports on my Intel Mac Mini... what am I doing if I update to a two port M1?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    Apple unit market share gains are going to be outstanding over the next four years.   We could be seeing 30-35 million Macs sold per year

Buckle up 
    MisterKitseanjmariowincoBeatsJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    steven n. said:
    blastdoor said:

The issue I'm reacting to is described here: 

https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2020/11/02/will-r-work-on-apple-silicon/index.html

In particular, they write: 
    GCC’s GFortran supports 64-bit ARMs: an earlier blog post from Maywas about building and testing R on Linux running on 64-bit ARM (Aarch64) inside QEMU emulator. However, the Apple silicon platform uses a different application binary interface (ABI) which GFortran does not support, yet.
    Currently, there seems to be no other Fortran 90 compiler, neither free nor commercial. Specifically, LLVM’s Fortran compiler (now called Flang again) is not yet finished.

It's really R that I need, and R needs Fortran. 

• Reply 12 of 21

cloudguy said:
    steven n. said:
    blastdoor said:

While this should work as the link states specific support for MacOS Big Sur using the Xcode C/C++ compiler (which means it doesn't use the gcc):

1. It is expensive. (Whereas gcc-fortran is free.)
    2. It is only Fortran 95 (with Fortran 2003 and 2008 features). @blastdoor almost certainly wants gcc-fortran 10, which is based on Fortran 2018.

The alternative: pay a ton in licensing for a badly outdated Fortran version. Better off sticking with the Intel Mac on the current machine until gcc is available, which according to what I read would occur in 2Q 2021. That is, if it isn't a rumour in the first place. Also, even if it isn't a rumour, I severely doubt that it will take that long. There are CERTAINLY a bunch of open source types building and testing gcc against M1 Macs as we speak and will likely have their first submits in a few weeks.

ALSO ... would an 8/16 GB machine be sufficient for Fortran stuff anyway? That sounds like 64 GB Mac Pro stuff to me. So ... maybe wait till the M1X Macs with 32/64 GB come out in 2021? That way both the necessary hardware and up-to-date free and open source software should be available. As impressive as the M1 MBA/MBP/Mac Minis are, they are still entry level machines whose performance is roughly akin to hexacore AMD and Intel CPUs (even if they run a lot cooler and use much less power). 
    Yup, it should be just a matter of time, and probably not a lot of time. I do a lot of work in R and R requires Fortran -- that's the basis for my need. 

16 GB is a little snug, but generally sufficient for my purposes. While more RAM would certainly be nice, 16 GB for 8 cores isn't horrible. And dropping down to using only the 4 big cores would be an option in cases where I need more RAM per core. 

By the time I'm ready to replace my Linux box (which I bought to replace my 2009 Mac Pro), though, I'm hoping there will be headless desktop Mac with more big CPU cores and more RAM. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I use a 2018 Mac Mini here at the office, and while I still have a needs for Windows, if the M1 Mini could support two thunderbolt monitors like what I have here at work, I would have bought one just as a test platform for all the apps we use.  

Pretty exciting stuff really.  I'm watching performanc/comparison videos on YouTube with all the M1 machines and I'm just blown-away as to how fast these machines.  It really puts Intel to shame.

I really think we have entered a new period of CPU performance.  I'm super excited to see what Apple has in store for the 16" MBP, iMacs and Mac Pros.  At this rate, the ones not yet released will represent and entirely new level of performance.
    GG1Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Japanese people don't like knockoffs. Glad to see Apple on top here.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    thrang said:
    I'm using all 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports on my Intel Mac Mini... what am I doing if I update to a two port M1?
    Buy an OWC THUNDERBOLT HUB:  
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-hub

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    BUT Apple will never support Windows on the Apple Silicon Macs!!!!! /s

Meanwhile I'm enjoying my M1 Mac.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

Not true. Apple said it is upto Microsoft to port Windows to M1. So, Apple is open for Windows or Linux to be ported to M1. It is WIN,WIN for both.

• Reply 18 of 21
    wood1208 said:

Not true. Apple said it is upto Microsoft to port Windows to M1. So, Apple is open for Windows or Linux to be ported to M1. It is WIN,WIN for both.

"/s" is to denote sarcasm. There was a user who said Apple would never support Windows on the new Macs. You have these people saying Apple needs Windows to run on the Mac to sell the hardware and should push to make Windows happen on the Apple Silicon Macs. While people do want Windows on the Mac and it would be good for that to happen, stories like this show Apple doesn't need Windows on the Mac. Apple will do just fine. Did anyone really expect any stores of how Macs could be number one in a country? I thought with my issues getting one, they would do well, but not number one in a country.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gilly33 said:
    Yeah? What do you like about it? I’m thinking about getting one as I ditch my 2012 iMac. This new chip has me curious about the Mini for the first time. 
    I think your 2012 iMac can be used by the M1 mini as a monitor, keyboard, and mouse albeit a relatively low resolution.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

nicholfd said:
    thrang said:
    Buy an OWC THUNDERBOLT HUB:  
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-hub

they do daisy chain if the devices have at least two tb3 ports.