Apple working on technology to finally allow iOS devices to support multiple users

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    ID0ID0 Posts: 15member
    ID0 said:
    DangDave said:
    ID0 said:
    I would prefer if Apple would cut the mandatory music upload to iPhone / iPad with iTunes. 
    Just allow uploading music with Files to a local folder which the Music app can use as library.
    You do not need iTunes to upload music anymore. Just enter “How to upload music to an iPhone” in your browser for the latest options. 
    Can you post a link please? The search result promote just some other Mac or Win mandatory software. 
    To refine my question: I attach an hard drive to my iPad and upload music to Files and how to get them into Music app???
    I don't think you can play music files from the Files folder. Even if you could, transferring files onto a hard drive from a computer, then transferring to an iPad to play them seems like an extra step when you can just plug your iPhone/iPad directly to your computer to transfer the files.

It is true that you no longer need iTunes, but only if you have a Mac with macOS Catalina or Big Sur. If you have macOS Mojave or older or a Windows PC, you still need iTunes to transfer music: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201253
    Why on earth you al the time mention a computer?
    I purchase music files online from different vendors and I want to import them from Files to Music app. Period.

• Reply 22 of 27
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    larryjw said:
    larryjw said:
    One of the primary guiding principles in mainframe computing was always the separation of software and data.   The two were never, ever mixed.
    Had PC (and now mobile) computing followed that guideline much trouble would have been avoided.

But, it is too late for that now -- the idea of one big pot for software and data is not only enshrined in technology but in the culture of technology.

In any case, as iPads (and eventually) iPhones include more PC type functionality, it makes sense that multiple users would make sense (but mostly for the iPad).
    That's never been true. The key to computing is everything is data. There is no separation and never has been. Even at the chip level, say the microcoding of RISC and CISC chips, the CPU instructions are just data to the microprocessor. 

You know that ebook you're reading? It's not data. It's computer code in a specialized language that is being executed by an interpreter to render the information on the page. 

Wrong
    Sorry, but you are 100% wrong.   In the IBM mainframe days keeping data software separate was a sacred rule that was never, ever broken.
    ...  Go ask you mommy.
    Sorry, my mommy never knew anything about computers -- but I do.

To the OS, even the IBM mainframe, the loader sees your program as just data. It reads the loader instructions, as data, interpreting the commands, then places those things which have metadata saying this is a program, into memory, and sets registers within the CPU to point to areas which will have an instruction counter. Those segments designated as data will be placed in memory and address pointers initialized, all being executed by interpreters reading this information as data. At certain points, because the OSes are multi-tasking, the OS will swap out those segments designated as data, to allow them to be allocated to other data segments or code, as instructed by metadata, all under control of an interpreter. 

All systems are almost an infinite regress of interpreters, each reading in stuff as data and depending on metadata, determining which of the many interpreters available to it, is the appropriate interpreter for a given piece of data. 

You can continue to embarrass yourself by disagreeing with me, but you need to get a clue before you continue to show your ignorance.

Apparently you don't either.
    Because programs got executed and data gots processed concurrently didn't mean they got mixed together and stored together like they are on a PC.   Sorry.  That's just how it was.   It was a security feature like many others that got lost when the migration to PCs happened.
    Wrong. 

It depends on the programming language. Fortran historically allocated code and data together. Common blocks and Named Common blocks could be allocated separately, but local variables occupied the same segment as code. 

Lisp language allows dynamic program creation and execution. Code and data are one and the same. 

Let’s not be so esoteric and go for common processes. Client server processes are all about dynamic processes. Websites are all data = code. The server builds up some webpage code, the web browser reads in the data from the server, using http get method, and proceeds to execute the html code and the JavaScript code which the server sent. 

On the server backend is a relational database management system. The server is dynamically building SQL statements and sending them to the RDBMS for execution. The RDBMS parses the sql statement, pulls stats from the database and dynamically builds an execution plan that is optimized then sends it off to be executed, having to determine which of many RDBMS servers should execute certain parts depending on the load and location of the data in the data center. 

Let me emphasize. At no point in any day am I using systems that separate code from data. Everywhere they are one and the same. I’m always using systems that are executing data and it’s got nothing to do with PC vs mainframes. 
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    larryjw said:
    larryjw said:
    larryjw said:
    One of the primary guiding principles in mainframe computing was always the separation of software and data.   The two were never, ever mixed.
    Had PC (and now mobile) computing followed that guideline much trouble would have been avoided.

But, it is too late for that now -- the idea of one big pot for software and data is not only enshrined in technology but in the culture of technology.

In any case, as iPads (and eventually) iPhones include more PC type functionality, it makes sense that multiple users would make sense (but mostly for the iPad).
    That's never been true. The key to computing is everything is data. There is no separation and never has been. Even at the chip level, say the microcoding of RISC and CISC chips, the CPU instructions are just data to the microprocessor. 

You know that ebook you're reading? It's not data. It's computer code in a specialized language that is being executed by an interpreter to render the information on the page. 

Wrong
    Sorry, but you are 100% wrong.   In the IBM mainframe days keeping data software separate was a sacred rule that was never, ever broken.
    ...  Go ask you mommy.
    Sorry, my mommy never knew anything about computers -- but I do.

To the OS, even the IBM mainframe, the loader sees your program as just data. It reads the loader instructions, as data, interpreting the commands, then places those things which have metadata saying this is a program, into memory, and sets registers within the CPU to point to areas which will have an instruction counter. Those segments designated as data will be placed in memory and address pointers initialized, all being executed by interpreters reading this information as data. At certain points, because the OSes are multi-tasking, the OS will swap out those segments designated as data, to allow them to be allocated to other data segments or code, as instructed by metadata, all under control of an interpreter. 

All systems are almost an infinite regress of interpreters, each reading in stuff as data and depending on metadata, determining which of the many interpreters available to it, is the appropriate interpreter for a given piece of data. 

You can continue to embarrass yourself by disagreeing with me, but you need to get a clue before you continue to show your ignorance.

Apparently you don't either.
    Because programs got executed and data gots processed concurrently didn't mean they got mixed together and stored together like they are on a PC.   Sorry.  That's just how it was.   It was a security feature like many others that got lost when the migration to PCs happened.
    Wrong. 

It depends on the programming language. Fortran historically allocated code and data together. Common blocks and Named Common blocks could be allocated separately, but local variables occupied the same segment as code. 

Lisp language allows dynamic program creation and execution. Code and data are one and the same. 

Let’s not be so esoteric and go for common processes. Client server processes are all about dynamic processes. Websites are all data = code. The server builds up some webpage code, the web browser reads in the data from the server, using http get method, and proceeds to execute the html code and the JavaScript code which the server sent. 

On the server backend is a relational database management system. The server is dynamically building SQL statements and sending them to the RDBMS for execution. The RDBMS parses the sql statement, pulls stats from the database and dynamically builds an execution plan that is optimized then sends it off to be executed, having to determine which of many RDBMS servers should execute certain parts depending on the load and location of the data in the data center. 

Let me emphasize. At no point in any day am I using systems that separate code from data. Everywhere they are one and the same. I’m always using systems that are executing data and it’s got nothing to do with PC vs mainframes. 

Again, wrong.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    ID0 said:
    ID0 said:
    DangDave said:
    ID0 said:
    I would prefer if Apple would cut the mandatory music upload to iPhone / iPad with iTunes. 
    Just allow uploading music with Files to a local folder which the Music app can use as library.
    You do not need iTunes to upload music anymore. Just enter “How to upload music to an iPhone” in your browser for the latest options. 
    Can you post a link please? The search result promote just some other Mac or Win mandatory software. 
    To refine my question: I attach an hard drive to my iPad and upload music to Files and how to get them into Music app???
    I don't think you can play music files from the Files folder. Even if you could, transferring files onto a hard drive from a computer, then transferring to an iPad to play them seems like an extra step when you can just plug your iPhone/iPad directly to your computer to transfer the files.

It is true that you no longer need iTunes, but only if you have a Mac with macOS Catalina or Big Sur. If you have macOS Mojave or older or a Windows PC, you still need iTunes to transfer music: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201253
    Why on earth you al the time mention a computer?
    I purchase music files online from different vendors and I want to import them from Files to Music app. Period.

Sorry, I was just trying to help...

So how on earth do your files get on your external hard drive? Don't you have to connect your hard drive to a computer at some point to transfer the files purchased from an online vendor? Now, if you have some other way that those files appear on that external drive without connecting to a computer that you own or otherwise control, I can't help you.

PS: Sometimes the path of least resistance is just to go with the flow and follow the guidelines that the device manufacturers have spelled out, rather than trying to force your idea of how it "should" be (even if your idea is better). I mean, really, how hard is it to just connect your iPad directly to a computer? (Assuming you have one).

PPS: Apologies to other forum posters on this thread for going OT
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Ever notice how on Star Trek someone will hand a tablet to another officer and then walk away? That's how you do multi-user on tablets. The tablet simply becomes your tablet and sharing is as easy as leaving a document open for the next user to take and use. Effortless, invisible technology.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Ever notice how on Star Trek someone will hand a tablet to another officer and then walk away? That's how you do multi-user on tablets. The tablet simply becomes your tablet and sharing is as easy as leaving a document open for the next user to take and use. Effortless, invisible technology.
    Yes! And while you're at it, make the Holodeck real because it was in Star Trek and was way better than the shitty VR we have now.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    dysamoria said:
    More complexity. Yay.
    You have problems sharing data between users on your Mac? This is essentially the same thing.