Apple loses iOS copyright claim in suit against security firm Corellium

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
A U.S. federal court has handed a win to security firm Corellium, ruling that its emulation of Apple's iOS is fair use.

Credit: Corellium

U.S. District Court Judge Rodney Smith issued the ruling on Tuesday, throwing out Apple's claims that Corellium had violated its copyrights. Judge Smith denied Apple's motion and granted Corellium's in part to "the extent the Court finds that Corellium's use of iOS constitutes fair use."

On the other hand, he didn't throw out any motions related to the DMCA claim. Apple had accused the company of violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which criminalizes technology intended to circumvent access to copyrighted works, through illegal replication of the iOS operating system.

"Weighing all the necessary factors, the Court finds that Corellium has met its burden of establishing fair use. Thus, its use of iOS in connection with the Corellium Product is permissible," Judge Smith wrote.

Corellium was founded in 2017 and created a platform that allowed customers to run virtual iPhone environments on computers. That proved useful to security researchers, since it allowed them to find bugs and security vulnerabilities in iOS.

Apple first sued the virtualization company in 2019 for copyright infringement. Since then, Apple has escalated its fight with Corellium, subpoenaing records from contractors who have used the iOS emulating platforms.

Along with the copyright claims, Apple argued that Corellium's product could be dangerous if it fell into the wrong hands and that it sold the system indiscriminately. Judge Smith called the first argument "puzzling, if not disingenuous," and added that Corellium uses a vetting process before it sells its products to customers.

The Cupertino tech giant had initially attempted to acquire Corellium in 2018, The Washington Post reported. As those acquisition talks stalled, Apple filed the lawsuit that threatened to sink the startup. Compared to Apple, its resources and budget were limited.

Apple's lawsuit was said to have scared security researchers away from Corellium's product. In 2019, Apple announced the Security Research Device program, which allows researchers to find vulnerabilities in specialized iPhones and could serve as an alternative to Corellium and other products.

Apple Versus Corellium- Ruling by Mike Wuerthele on Scribd

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Apple will likely find that it will continue to fight a losing battle in an ever increasing hostile environment particularly to DMCA claims and security. Recent Apple exposure of Facebooks misdeeds in data harvesting makes these arguments it makes in this case incongruent with general company policy and position. Really challenges are coming with respect to the App Store and Right to Repair in a variety of industries. It appears the appetite is changing against control by big tech on a large scale.
    DAalseth
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Run on implications for games platforms in 5, 4..
    Dogpersonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Hard to believe the Apple lawyers would make such silly, hysterical claims that gave the judge an easy reason to rule against. You’d think there would be peer review and that ‘dangerous’ statement would have been taken out. By that logic Apple should bet every iPhone buyer to make sure they’re not ‘dangerous’. 

I still think Apple will win eventually- it’s their OS and terms and conditions certain protect them against unauthorized use of iOS. 
    rcfawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Apple will likely find that it will continue to fight a losing battle in an ever increasing hostile environment particularly to DMCA claims and security. Recent Apple exposure of Facebooks misdeeds in data harvesting makes these arguments it makes in this case incongruent with general company policy and position. Really challenges are coming with respect to the App Store and Right to Repair in a variety of industries. It appears the appetite is changing against control by big tech on a large scale.
    What Apple exposure of Facebook's misdeeds in data harvesting are you referring to make their arguments in this case incongruent, specifically?
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19

Hard to believe the Apple lawyers would make such silly, hysterical claims that gave the judge an easy reason to rule against. You’d think there would be peer review and that ‘dangerous’ statement would have been taken out. By that logic Apple should bet every iPhone buyer to make sure they’re not ‘dangerous’. 

I still think Apple will win eventually- it’s their OS and terms and conditions certain protect them against unauthorized use of iOS. 
    No, it doesn't, because merely buying an iPhone doesn't allow you to run it in a virtualized environment the way Corelium does, which Apple is arguing gives the user of such virtualization a better tool to develop exploits with. Whether that's true or not I can't say, but that's what they're arguing, and that's different than having an iPhone alone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    What are you basing that on? The fact that there seem to be a lot of articles about Apple lawsuits lately?
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Dangerous? Security through obscurity is no security.

I want all exploits to be found, the more “dangerous” the better. I don’t need security holes covered up, I need them exposed.

Also, a device owner’s root access is not “insecure”, insecure is only if someone without credentials can gain privileged access.

So, in reality, EVERYONE should be getting these “special” iPhones as these aren’t “insecure”, they are just less obscure.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 8 of 19
    In the long run, I think this will be good for Apple and the iOS ecosystem. Apple’s track record of acting on serious security vulnerabilities are spotty as many developers have reported them to Apple and some have still not been patched. This can create more white hats to help secure the OS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Apple should almost certainly win on appeal. It’s not fair use when the entire product is copied for the purpose of hacking for profit or to abet hacking. No third party will protect Apple’s IP to the extent Apple does. Third parties change ownership and policies, such that a vetting process becomes obsolete, yet the hacking resource remains in their possession.
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    KTRKTR Posts: 279member
    A U.S. federal court has handed a win to security firm Corellium, ruling that its emulation of Apple's iOS is fair use.

U.S. District Court Judge Rodney Smith issued the ruling on Tuesday, throwing out Apple's claims that Corellium had violated its copyrights. Judge Smith denied Apple's motion and granted Corellium's in part to "the extent the Court finds that Corellium's use of iOS constitutes fair use."

On the other hand, he didn't throw out any motions related to the DMCA claim. Apple had accused the company of violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which criminalizes technology intended to circumvent access to copyrighted works, through illegal replication of the iOS operating system.

"Weighing all the necessary factors, the Court finds that Corellium has met its burden of establishing fair use. Thus, its use of iOS in connection with the Corellium Product is permissible," Judge Smith wrote.

Corellium was founded in 2017 and created a platform that allowed customers to run virtual iPhone environments on computers. That proved useful to security researchers, since it allowed them to find bugs and security vulnerabilities in iOS.

Apple first sued the virtualization company in 2019 for copyright infringement. Since then, Apple has escalated its fight with Corellium, subpoenaing records from contractors who have used the iOS emulating platforms.

Along with the copyright claims, Apple argued that Corellium's product could be dangerous if it fell into the wrong hands and that it sold the system indiscriminately. Judge Smith called the first argument "puzzling, if not disingenuous," and added that Corellium uses a vetting process before it sells its products to customers.

The Cupertino tech giant had initially attempted to acquire Corellium in 2018, The Washington Post reported. As those acquisition talks stalled, Apple filed the lawsuit that threatened to sink the startup. Compared to Apple, its resources and budget were limited.

Apple's lawsuit was said to have scared security researchers away from Corellium's product. In 2019, Apple announced the Security Research Device program, which allows researchers to find vulnerabilities in specialized iPhones and could serve as an alternative to Corellium and other products.

Apple Versus Corellium- Ruling by Mike Wuerthele on Scribd

I believe apple is getting sloppy.  I think they have gotten so big and getting more arrogant. I think apple should and need to beef up security.  They Need better lawyers, who need to pay attention to details and close loop holes.  Maybe the company found one and use it to their advantage.  JMO.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Armchair lawyers where are you now?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19

In the long run, I think this will be good for Apple and the iOS ecosystem. Apple’s track record of acting on serious security vulnerabilities are spotty as many developers have reported them to Apple and some have still not been patched. This can create more white hats to help secure the OS. 
    Maybe apple should create a { iOS light, fee ba$e ) a scale down version of the iOS for third party handset manufactures with the same access to the app store.  This way they can monitor the gps of the downloads and the devices.  As Tim Apple said "it only takes ONE bad actor to compromise an ecosystem.  What do you guys think?
  • Reply 13 of 19

If jobs was still alive, he would have let this happen. Or, at least fire the one involve.  Option 1. apple could buy the company and shut them down. 2.  Revoke the developer tools that allow them to to the work. Option 3, any other ides.
  • Reply 14 of 19

flydog said:
    What are you basing that on? The fact that there seem to be a lot of articles about Apple lawsuits lately?
    In reference to "The fact that there seem to be a lot of articles about Apple lawsuits lately?"  It seems  like EVERY one wants to take down Goliath.  Keep in mind that apple is still the underdog in the computer industry.  Its apple vs every one else.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    cpsro said:
    No third party will protect Apple’s IP to the extent Apple does. 
    This has already been shown to be demonstrably false.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    THe one line that stood out to me was "On the other hand, he didn't throw out any motions related to the DMCA claim". But fair use should, at least AIUI, touch on some of the DMCA claim.  I really wish the article had gone into how the DMCA applies in all this.
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

I find it puzzling that the judge would find opening a security hole "puzzling".   What rock does he live under?    Perhaps we should find it puzzling that he locks his doors at night.   After all:   What could possibly go wrong?
    maximararob53killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I have not read the cases cited by the judge to support his conclusions, so I don't really have a feel for whether his conclusions are really supported by the law. Remember too, this decision is in a Federal Circuit Court, not a Federal appeals court. 

What struck me reading the opinion is the extent to which the judge went to a whole lot of trouble to support Corellium's arguments. I felt quite uncomfortable reading it.

Since this is a motion for summary judgment, where all facts remaining in dispute are interpreted in the other party's favor, it seems the judge did just the opposite. Remember, no evidence was presented to the court as a trier of fact. Everything the court knows was in the form of affidavits, and perhaps some cross examinations in the discovery phase of this lawsuit (perhaps). The court does say much of the argument is based on sealed documents  -- as one can tell by noticing some of the court's language is redacted. 

Not knowing the recent case law on copyright of computer programs, I was uncomfortable with the court mixing up patent law concepts of functionality and utility with copyright protections. Considering Fair Use is an Equitable Law concept, the court seemed too willing to invoke the concept for the benefit of Corellium. 

I could have imagined Apple losing on the Motion For Summary Judgment based on Estoppel (the allegation that Apple approved of Corellium during which time they were in negotiation for purchase by Apple).

Anyway, the Court's overly broad interpretation of Fair Use, IMHO, left me cold. 

edited December 2020 GeorgeBMackillroywatto_cobrateejay2012
  • Reply 19 of 19
    This was a weird case start to finish (or to be continued).  If I remember correctly Apple helped Corellium develop their product.  Then the Apple Lawyers got involved, and they’re now attempting to kill it.  This happened only after Apple created their own internal version (tools) for finding vulnerabilities.

I think Apple are legally in the right... but they’re acting like a 2-faced mega corporation.  Apple could have handled this better.