"Audio Units"?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Have a look at this http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/soundtrack.html, it's the new soundtrack bit of FCP4. They mention "Audio Units" - sounds odd, new and neat - anyone else thinking that this might have something to do with the new music sharing thin?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mavstermavster Posts: 51member
    actually, I believe that audio units refer to the new plugin architecture built into Mac OS X... comparable but different than VST...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    yup audio units are plug-ins for use in Logic and such replacing vst
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Here's some info for you:

http://www.audio-units.com/

And because this is actually an OS-wide plug-in system and not specific to FCP and Soundtrack, I'm moving this to the Mac OS X forum.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Beware.

I've been informed that Final Cut Pro Audio Units will not work in other AU compatible apps

This taken from a Jhoward on osxaudio.com. He seems to have alot of info.

BTW..he also noted that Emagic did not develop Sountrack technology. That was done by Apple's internal Audio Engineers one of whom is Chris Moulios..the creator of ACID.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

The new look is for Apple pro apps only. So it's not going to be another metal texture theme that developers can use.

You can do single take recording and multi-take recording in Soundtrack.

The quality of the finished product is dependent upon the skill of the user. So yes, it can sound like crap.

The tempo stetching algorithms are really good.

Video editors don't need to know a lot about music to create their soundtracks. Just the type of sound they're looking for.

The audio created can be used as a placeholder for original custom musical compositions or for a finished product.

The Emagic effects are for Soundtrack only. No other apps will be able to use them even though they have been converted to be AUs.

Not sure about in FCP but in Soundtrack, any effect parameter can be automated (master or track)

Soundtrack is not the work of Emagic but Chris is part of the team.

Here's an interesting thread