Data shows 62% of Apple TV+ subscribers are on a trial, most don't plan to renew

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    igorsky said:
    Everyone here who said this is an issue of “quantity” is 100% on the money. People like their services to have big libraries, and Apple TV+ is in its infancy in that regard.  ATV+ shouldn’t really even be in the conversation with other services at this point. 
    Not really. People want to have shows they watch, not libraries of content they do not watch. I have both TV+ and Disney+, however despite its library being many times the size, I have watched fewer shows on Disney+. Were I to have to choose between the two today, I would easily pick TV+.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    AlanWynn said:
    igorsky said:
    Everyone here who said this is an issue of “quantity” is 100% on the money. People like their services to have big libraries, and Apple TV+ is in its infancy in that regard.  ATV+ shouldn’t really even be in the conversation with other services at this point. 
    Not really. People want to have shows they watch, not libraries of content they do not watch. I have both TV+ and Disney+, however despite its library being many times the size, I have watched fewer shows on Disney+. Were I to have to choose between the two today, I would easily pick TV+.
    You're missing a key point as to how having libraries of content affords a much larger group of people of having shows they watch. There simply is no possible scenario where you can have a half dozen original shows that everyone loves to watch, regardless of how well they are made. Human interests in entertainment are simply too diverse.
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 63 of 73
    AlanWynn said:
    igorsky said:
    Well, so far Apple TV only had two shows I wanted to watch but they are over now, TMS and FAMK. All other shows, for me are “garbage” that everyone says others have. For us, Netflix has way more quality shows to watch. Besides this site, nobody talks about the shows on Apple TV in conversation. But everyone is talking about one of the many quality shows on Netflix. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 64 of 73
    lkrupp said:
    Yikes. 

I truly hope someone serious at Apple is reading these comments. 
    So people actually want all the useless dung that’s on Prime and Netflix? Gobs of knock-off movies starring unknown, bad actors? As for original content I don’t see much quality in what Prime and Netflix have to offer. 

And why would Apple pay attention to what a bunch of tech blog know-nothings have to bloviate about.
    Apple has some useless dung as well. And why would anyone listen to you. You obviously don’t know what people like since all the top shows streamed and talked about are on Netflix.  
  • Reply 65 of 73
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    AlanWynn said:
    igorsky said:
    Well, so far Apple TV only had two shows I wanted to watch but they are over now, TMS and FAMK. All other shows, for me are “garbage” that everyone says others have. For us, Netflix has way more quality shows to watch. Besides this site, nobody talks about the shows on Apple TV in conversation. But everyone is talking about one of the many quality shows on Netflix. 
    I think you mean TV+ rather than Apple TV. 
    TV+ is (almost certainly) meant to supplement things like Netflix on the Apple TV.  I doubt Apple intends the service to be the only service you get.

Perhaps the analogy is:  When you get a new iPhone it comes with Apple's apps -- but those are not the only apps that Apple intended for you to use.

• Reply 66 of 73
    AlanWynn said:
    igorsky said:
    TV+ is (almost certainly) meant to supplement things like Netflix on the Apple TV.  I doubt Apple intends the service to be the only service you get.

Perhaps the analogy is:  When you get a new iPhone it comes with Apple's apps -- but those are not the only apps that Apple intended for you to use.

So, we have AppleTV the device, AppleTV the app, and AppleTV+ the subscription service with some original shows. Oh, moreover, AppleTV the app and AppleTV+ the service can also be accessed through iTunes Store the app. 

Can't wait for it to be rounded out with AppleTV++ the whatever-that-will-be. And maybe iTunes Store+ that is all-in-one. 
    edited January 2021 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 67 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    AlanWynn said:
    igorsky said:

So, we have AppleTV the device, AppleTV the app, and AppleTV+ the subscription service with some original shows. Oh, moreover, AppleTV the app and AppleTV+ the service can also be accessed through iTunes Store the app. 

Can't wait for it to be rounded out with AppleTV++ the whatever-that-will-be. And maybe iTunes Store+ that is all-in-one. 
    I think the app is just called TV, though for some reason the icon is styled as tv.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    lkrupp said:
    digitol said:
    Dear Apple. What NOT to do. Offer a paid monthly service, and then embed further payment required content w/in that ecosphere! content is horrible AND extremely LIMITED. All in all Apple + is a big minus. Pitiful! 
    Nope. This just demonstrates your abject ignorance of the difference between the Apple TV app and the Apple TV+ streaming service. Of course you are not alone in the stupidity of your response in making assumptions about something you are incapable of grasping.
    LOL. Sounds like Apple failed Branding 101. Instead you blame the consumer. 

Reminds me of the branding of the ill-fated Google+. (I'll bet you remember that one). 
    It's honestly not that hard to navigate and understand the difference between the TV app and TV+ and what is viewable in the TV app. I don't see the failed branding at all?

• Reply 69 of 73
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    I don’t plan on renewing Apple TV+ because most stuff I want to see on there they charge extra to watch. With Netflix everything is included. With Apple, not everything is included. Why pay a subscription and then pay per view on top of that? I wish they had a setting where it only showed you what is included in the subscription and not all the other iTunes stuff mixed in. 
    Their original content is good, but I’ve watched it all and now run out of things to watch. I’ll keep the trial until July but for me it’s not worth paying for when there’s plenty on Netflix. 

You bring up a good point:   Apple Music was successful because they essentially opened the entire iTunes library to those who subscribed.   For TV+ you subscription gets you a tiny selection and you have to pay for all the rest.  And that last is what bothers me most about TV+ -- they bombard you with what amounts to advertisements for stuff you need to buy.  And, even worse, you don't even know if you need to buy it or rent it (and for how much) till you open it up.

In effect, TV+ is largely just a segway to suck you into iTunes.

That's not to trash TV+ -- for $5 its worth it.   But it could, at least theoretically, be much better.
    Huh? 

Watch now let's you see what you are currently watching across services and let's you get right back to it. TV+ is the paid service. Movies again shows you selections across services as well as what Itunes has to offer.. same goes for the TV Shows tab. Library shows items you own through Itunes and search is self explanatory. Bombard you with ads is a bit of a reach.. they show items for sale on itunes and things available on your subscription services. There aren't obtrusive ads keeping you from seeing your content or impeding the experience.. come on now.

• Reply 70 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jcs2305 said:
    I don’t plan on renewing Apple TV+ because most stuff I want to see on there they charge extra to watch. With Netflix everything is included. With Apple, not everything is included. Why pay a subscription and then pay per view on top of that? I wish they had a setting where it only showed you what is included in the subscription and not all the other iTunes stuff mixed in. 
    Their original content is good, but I’ve watched it all and now run out of things to watch. I’ll keep the trial until July but for me it’s not worth paying for when there’s plenty on Netflix. 

You bring up a good point:   Apple Music was successful because they essentially opened the entire iTunes library to those who subscribed.   For TV+ you subscription gets you a tiny selection and you have to pay for all the rest.  And that last is what bothers me most about TV+ -- they bombard you with what amounts to advertisements for stuff you need to buy.  And, even worse, you don't even know if you need to buy it or rent it (and for how much) till you open it up.

That's not to trash TV+ -- for $5 its worth it.   But it could, at least theoretically, be much better.
    Huh? 

Watch now let's you see what you are currently watching across services and let's you get right back to it. TV+ is the paid service. Movies again shows you selections across services as well as what Itunes has to offer.. same goes for the TV Shows tab. Library shows items you own through Itunes and search is self explanatory. Bombard you with ads is a bit of a reach.. they show items for sale on itunes and things available on your subscription services. There aren't obtrusive ads keeping you from seeing your content or impeding the experience.. come on now. 
    It does cut a bit of a contrast with Apple Music, where, if you subscribe then you have access to everything, no additional payments.  What Apple have done by combining Apple TV+ with the Videos app and the content available through iTunes vendors is both understandable and good from the perspective of a customer who wants to get content from multiple sources, and frustrating and confusing for a customer who just wants thenApple TV+ content that they've paid for.

It'd be good if Apple enabled some sort of granular toggles for showing/hiding content from the different services.  e.g. I don't have any interest in Amazon Prime content showing up in searches because I'm never going to subscribe to Amazon Prime, so if I could turn off Amazon Prime then I'd be happier.  Other users could turn off all services except Apple TV+.

You can kind of do this to a lesser degree in Music, if you're not a subscriber to Apple Music then you can hide all of the Apple Music stuff.
    edited January 2021 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 71 of 73
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jcs2305 said:

Huh? 

Yeh, I meant Apple TV rather than TV+
    And yes, it does show you 'up next' and such.
    But, I want the previews to be from stuff I've subscribed to rather than stuff I have to buy.  Or, if I do have to buy it (or rent it) to watch it, that should be made obvious up front.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 72 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,215member
    jcs2305 said:

Huh? 

Yeh, I meant Apple TV rather than TV+
    And yes, it does show you 'up next' and such.
    But, I want the previews to be from stuff I've subscribed to rather than stuff I have to buy.  Or, if I do have to buy it (or rent it) to watch it, that should be made obvious up front.
    A point on which we agree. 
    GeorgeBMac