Apple brings next-hour precipitation to Weather in the UK and Ireland

Posted:
in iOS
When iOS 14.5 launches this spring, users in the UK and Ireland could benefit from next-hour precipitation forecasts in Apple's first-party Weather app.

Weather
Source: lgladdy via Twitter

The feature, which is currently offered for U.S. users, provides a detailed 60-minute rain or snow forecast within the Weather app and its corresponding widgets. When precipitation is present, or will be in the coming hour, a chart displaying a minute-by-minute breakdown of weather conditions appears.

Apple is working to expand access to other locations, and it appears that users in the UK and Ireland will be among the first to benefit from the feature. Users in the region began to see next-hour reports pop up in Weather following today's iOS 14.5 beta release, according to multiple reports on Twitter.

Weather integrated next-hour forecasts shortly after Apple acquired popular weather data aggregation app Dark Sky last March. The title was among the first to leverage multiple weather stations and proprietary algorithms to provide accurate hyper-local forecasts to smartphone users.

Whether Apple intends to roll out the new Weather capability with iOS 14.5 is unknown, though chances are good considering its early presence in the latest beta.

The upcoming iOS update is shaping up to be a substantial release with a slew of new features including unlocking iPhone with Apple Watch when Face ID detects a face mask, new game controller support, Apple Card sharing, worldwide 5G for dual-SIM setups and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    I’m in the U.K on iOS 14.4 and I already have next hour, and hyper-local precipitation forecasting for weather widget and app. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    This seems to have now been removed from the UK after it was available last night 🤷🏼
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I’m in the UK, already there in 14.4 👍

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    It may just be inconsistent. It only sometimes works for me in the US. Dark Sky is equally flaky in this rural mountainous location.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Wow. I guess they didn't want to start with easy places to predict the weather.  Gotta admire Apple's courage.
    asdasdTRAGwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    fred1 said:
    Wow. I guess they didn't want to start with easy places to predict the weather.  Gotta admire Apple's courage.
    This is just Dark Sky's data source integration. They had this service for the U.S. and UK/Ireland before they were acquired by Apple. 

I really hope Apple find a way to make this available in continental Europe, but the data don't appear to be as readily available. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    spheric said:
    I really hope Apple find a way to make this available in continental Europe, but the data don't appear to be as readily available. 

I’d love to see that too. Here where I live they can’t predict yesterday’s weather!
    edited February 2021 beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I  have both London and Edinburgh as locations in Weather, and Edinburgh gets the next hour precipitation info, while London doesn't  :s
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I hadn't actually opened Weather in ages because I normally use Dark Sky, there's loads of information!  Seems like it's turned into a very comprehensive app.
    asdasdsellerington
  • Reply 10 of 23
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    fred1 said:
    Haha, Well it predicts rain so probably Ireland and the UK are good testbeds for that.  Also dark sky had that information. 

I can see it working for  Cupertino as well.  Seems it never rains in California but it drizzles. 

selleringtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23

frank1e74 said:
    I’m in the UK, already there in 14.4 👍

Look at you and your snow! Scotland or Northern England?
    selleringtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    If it said rain in England every time, it would be right 90% of the time ;)
    selleringtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    crowley said:
    I hadn't actually opened Weather in ages because I normally use Dark Sky, there's loads of information!  Seems like it's turned into a very comprehensive app.
    As I use both Dark Sky and Carrot Weather I had removed Weather from my home screen. I was surprised today when I saw how much Weather had improved since I last used it. I imagine that Dark Sky will eventually disappear. 
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 14 of 23
    MacPro said:
    If it said rain in England every time, it would be right 90% of the time ;)
    Naw. Plenty of places in the US where it’s just as rainy or more rainy than London, or Dublin. However the U.K. and Ireland have very low sunshine. 
    selleringtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 53member
    crowley said:
    I  have both London and Edinburgh as locations in Weather, and Edinburgh gets the next hour precipitation info, while London doesn't  :s
    I am in London and it is showing up for me.

Also, not sure who took the screen shot in the article but Bath is my hometown. Can’t think why it would be shown in the screen shot but a great choice! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    crowley said:
    I think that is because the next-hour precipitation forecast only appears if precipitation is forecast in the next-hour? i.e. in your case Edinburgh is expecting rain in the next hour and London is not?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    TRAG said:
    crowley said:
    I am in London and it is showing up for me.

Also, not sure who took the screen shot in the article but Bath is my hometown. Can’t think why it would be shown in the screen shot but a great choice! 
    Bath is gorgeous. 
    watto_cobraTRAG
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Whether Apple intends to roll out the new Weather capability with iOS 14.5 is unknown, though chances are good considering its early presence in the latest beta.

I see what you did there.  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    crowley said:
    I think that is because the next-hour precipitation forecast only appears if precipitation is forecast in the next-hour? i.e. in your case Edinburgh is expecting rain in the next hour and London is not?
    If that's true I don't thiink it's very good design, it just loooks like something is missing rather than there being no precipitation.  Also, it has been raining, so if you're right then the predictions suck.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Not impressed.

When I checked 1703 Tuesday it said drizzle stopping in 8 mins, starting again 5 min later.
    Then I checked a minute later, and it said drizzle stopping in 43 mins.
    Three minutes later, it said stopping in 41 mins, starting 14 mins later.
    One minute later it said stopping in 8 min, starting again 10 mins later.

This is not useful.

If I want to see what the weather will do within the hour, I just go out and look up at the sky.