Always-on 'iPhone 13' display could show persistent clock and battery icons

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2021
The "iPhone 13" could have an always-on display, a rumor claims, one that could potentially light up portions for a brief period to show notifications to the user, without illuminating the entire screen.

The 2021 iPhone refresh is already rumored to include a few big changes in its display technology. However, one of the features could be the always-on function that was introduced in the Apple Watch Series 6.

According to Max Weinbach via EverythingApplePro, the "iPhone 13" may use an always-on display. To users, this will mean that the lockscreen will still show some important elements, but won't necessarily fully illuminate in the same way as current models do.

The clock and battery icons will apparently always be visible on the screen, even if the screen is locked, and will do so regardless of the illuminated state of the rest of the display.

Notifications are displayed on the lock screen "using a bar and icons," with it popping up normally on the display, though not all of the screen will light up. "Instead, it will display it just like you're used to right now, except dimmed down and only temporarily," said Weinbach.

Weinbach has a decent track record when it comes to leaks, along with EverythingApplePro's reporting. The pair were a main proponent of ProMotion rumors for the iPhone 12 in 2020, though that feature did not make it into production models.

Early rumors surrounding the "iPhone 13" have already revived the idea of a 120Hz iPhone display, using LTPO technology to handle the variable clock speed of ProMotion. It would also be feasible for the technology to provide an always-on function, as it does for the Apple Watch by minimizing the refresh rate to save power.

So far, there have only been rumors about the technology's use in the "iPhone 13," and with relatively few reports at that. As time nears for its launch, the specifications for the inbound generation may become clearer.

The video also brought up other elements of the device's potential changes, including the use of a stronger magnet array for MagSafe, and an automatically-switching astrophotography mode when the stars or the moon is detected by the camera.

The video didn't just stick to the iPhone. The long-anticipated "AirTags" are said to be launching in March or April. This tracks with information tweeted out by another prominent leaker on Friday, with a March launch earmarked for the trackable device.

Lastly, the "Apple Watch Series 7" apparently won't include glucose monitoring. A report in January claimed the feature was on the way, offering a non-invasive way to track blood sugar measurements.

Other previous claims about the "iPhone 13" include its use of a four-camera array with LiDAR, a smaller or minimal notch at the front, a port-less design without Lightning, and the return of Touch ID.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    The always on screen was added in the Apple Watch Series 5, not the Series 6. 
    Japheyselleringtonpg4g0001pulseimagesFlytrapwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    What is the effective lifespan of oled pixels these days? IDK, but I’d be a bit concerned if this means that portions of my phone display will age more rapidly and diminish the useful life if the phone.
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I had this on my Samsung S7 , Yonkers ago. About time Apple ! Really liked it on that phone.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I should add the S7 moved the image slightly every so often so it didn’t “burn in” the screen. I expect Apple will do something similar. 
    napoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    There is zero reason this couldn't be done on any OLED iPhone, so the iPhone X and above. Years ago there were rumours about lighting only part of the LCD display on iPhones for notifications, but it never came to anything. Many Android phones have had always-on displays like this for years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    What is the effective lifespan of oled pixels these days? IDK, but I’d be a bit concerned if this means that portions of my phone display will age more rapidly and diminish the useful life if the phone.
    Long enough that it doesn't cause an issue on the AW5. As Lewchenko says, they move the image slightly to prevent it. I imagine they do this already with the status icons on the X and above, and the AW.
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    Better still. An AOD that knows when it is being looked at and only turns on then. Known as an Eyes On Display (EOD). 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 19
    My absolute favourite feature of my aging Pixel phone is that always-on display. I have two cheapo charging stands, one on my nightstand and the other on my working desk. 
    No need for a clock radio or a wristwatch with the phone always displaying date, time, weather, alarm status and identifying background music playing. This would be a strong selling point on getting me back to the iPhone; USB-C and better contacts management would be close second and third. I can easily recreate on an iPhone most of the other stuff that Google does better for my common usage: maps, search, TV, email, GPS, music, etc. Kindle would still be a problem with an iPhone, but I reluctantly could live with that. Emphasis on "my common usage" here, I don't want to generalize or start a firestorm. As of now using an iPad Pro, an Android phone and a computer allows me to carry around only one lipstick size USB-C GaN charger for all. I really like that minimalistic freedom. Common Apple, aren't you supposed to be the company known for that ? Make the next iPhones USB-C. 
    muthuk_vanalingamd_2
  • Reply 9 of 19
    avon b7 said:
    Better still. An AOD that knows when it is being looked at and only turns on then. Known as an Eyes On Display (EOD). 
    No please don't do that EOD. You can't really  use the phone as a nightstand clock that way, which is one of the big advantages of having the time always on the display. This does not affect the battery life of my Pixel in a perceptible way. How do I know? If I put the phone face down then the display is turned off. And I don't really see a perceptible battery advantage to doing that. 

• Reply 10 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    avon b7 said:
    I imagine the power drain from the ‘eyes on’ functionality would be more than just keeping the display on. 

I hope Apple does this - as others have mentioned, Samsung did it years ago with their OLED displays and there’s no reason it can’t be done with any of the OLED iPhones. 

It would also be nice to have an alarm clock feature that would keep the clock on while charging on your night stand. 
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    I assume smart enough to turn off if the screen is face down or in a pocket, cover,.... generally not visible.
    I which case why not allow any of the new widgets, maybe with a call for low visual demand versions.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    This would be nice. The Apple Watch implementation is already welcome. 
    ramanpfaff
  • Reply 13 of 19
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Didn’t windows Lumia phones do this a decade ago.   Why is this even news.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    I imagine the power drain from the ‘eyes on’ functionality would be more than just keeping the display on. 

I hope Apple does this - as others have mentioned, Samsung did it years ago with their OLED displays and there’s no reason it can’t be done with any of the OLED iPhones. 

It would also be nice to have an alarm clock feature that would keep the clock on while charging on your night stand. 
    It's almost certainly less drain than a regular AOD as they have moved from that to EOD. Only caveat is that the phone needs the hardware to make it work (3D depth sensing, gesture sensor..) 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    As long as I can turn it off, I’m fine with it.  I never look at my phone just for the time or new notifications.  I have a watch for that.  My phone is generally either in my pocket, or lying face down on a table or counter, often in a different room.   When I pick it up, it wakes, so there is no point for the feature in my use case. 
    urashidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    k2kw said:
    That’s like asking why it might be newsworthy that Porsche is creating a new EV when they had a fully battery powered automobile in the late 1800s. Or why it’s newsworthy that McD will be introducing new sandwich options when they already have chicken sandwiches and they didn’t invent the chicken sandwich.
    edited February 2021 StrangeDaysRayz2016TRAGwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Sounds interesting, but I’m not replacing my iPhone XS Max until either it dies or they remove the notch.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Had this in my Samsung S5 work phone. Over rated and kills battery life. Turned it off, among other relatively useless features. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Xed said:
    k2kw said:
    That’s like asking why it might be newsworthy that Porsche is creating a new EV when they had a fully battery powered automobile in the late 1800s. Or why it’s newsworthy that McD will be introducing new sandwich options when they already have chicken sandwiches and they didn’t invent the chicken sandwich.
    McDonald’s sell burgers 🍔 not sandwiches 🥪