Intel targets M1 weaknesses in 'You're not on a Mac' ad campaign

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 126
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

LOL...  You are calling the fact that Microsoft does not have a viable copy of their OS able to run on any and all ARM chips -- much less the M1 -- a "licensing issue"?    OK....
    Not true.  Microsoft has a version of Windows for ARM, they ship it with the Surface Go, which is an ARM machine.  But they don't sell it standalone.  So the product exists, but customers can't legitimately buy it to install on M1 Macs.  Some people have used an image of that OS and installed Windows within a Parallels VM, and it works.  Therefore for customers it's predominantly a license issue and Microsoft's decision to make whether they want to sell it.  There is additional work to make Windows install natively on M1 Macs that Microsoft could also choose to do.

GeorgeBMac said:

Even your statement is ridiculous 
    ...  Since those "every one else" you cite is running under Apple's OS -- not interfacing directly with the hardware.   Big difference.
    Correlium have M1 Macs booting to Ubuntu. "Interfacing directly with the hardware", as you put it. You keep ignoring that I'm telling you this.

Sorry - but Apple pretty much said that their on their own:   that was silly and childish of them -- certainly not professional.

Don't say sorry when you're not sorry.

And you are imagining things. Apple never said anything of the sort. I posted the quote in an earlier comment, Craig Federighi simply said that whether Windows for ARM is made available is up to Microsoft. Which is absolutely true irrespective of whether Apple assist with modifying Boot Camp, or additional developer support, neither of which he directly commented on. You are claiming to know things that you do not know.

The only thing childish here is your stubborn clinging to a falsehood in the face of no one agreeing with you, and apparent belief that you can make it true by repeating it over and over. What a lot of tedious noise over something that hardly anyone even wants. 

You sound all upset that Apple won't lift a finger to help Microsoft port Windows to run natively on the M1.

The losers are Apple's customers.
    I'm not upset at all, I use an Intel MacBook Air right now so this doesn't affect me one iota.  I think Apple have done all they need to, and would probably assist more if asked, but they can't do anything unless Microsoft want to make Windows available at retail for ARM machines, which as of yet they have not shown any inclination towards doing.  If there's anything else going on behind the scenes I don't know about it, but neither do you, despite your repeated absurd claims.

If Microsoft release a version of Windows that works on M1 Macs then great, and if they don't I won't lose sleep over it, Windows for ARM has pretty bad reviews.  Either way Apple have no power to compel Microsoft to release Windows for ARM, or to make it good.  It is up to Microsoft.

Of course Apple cannot compel them to develop a version of Windows that will run on the M1.   It is up to Microsoft -- and Apple can and should assist in that effort.  And, at some point, both will likely do their jobs since it is in the best interests of both of them.
  • Reply 122 of 126
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    spheric said:
    spheric said:
    spheric said:
    A better question is:  Why won't Apple lend them cooperation and assistance?

They aren't? Source for your claim please. 

Apple
    Where? Source please? 

Because all I've found is the interview with Federighi on Ars Technica, where he's quoted thus: 
    "As for Windows running natively on the machine, "that's really up to Microsoft," he said. "We have the core technologies for them to do that, to run their ARM version of Windows, which in turn of course supports x86 user mode applications. But that's a decision Microsoft has to make, to bring to license that technology for users to run on these Macs. But the Macs are certainly very capable of it."

That does not translate to "They'll have to do it on their own; we're not going to help". Quite the opposite, in fact. 

There's you source.
    Thanks for retracting your point. 

I'm not sure why you made me do the legwork for you, though.

Thanks for demonstrating that you're delusional.
    Your claim was that Apple was refusing to help Microsoft get Windows running on Apple Silicon. 

When repeatedly pressed for the source of your claim, you eventually confirmed that it was a quote I dug out. 

Except that quote in no way supports your claim. At all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 123 of 126
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

LOL...  You are calling the fact that Microsoft does not have a viable copy of their OS able to run on any and all ARM chips -- much less the M1 -- a "licensing issue"?    OK....
    Not true.  Microsoft has a version of Windows for ARM, they ship it with the Surface Go, which is an ARM machine.  But they don't sell it standalone.  So the product exists, but customers can't legitimately buy it to install on M1 Macs.  Some people have used an image of that OS and installed Windows within a Parallels VM, and it works.  Therefore for customers it's predominantly a license issue and Microsoft's decision to make whether they want to sell it.  There is additional work to make Windows install natively on M1 Macs that Microsoft could also choose to do.

GeorgeBMac said:

...  Since those "every one else" you cite is running under Apple's OS -- not interfacing directly with the hardware.   Big difference.
    Correlium have M1 Macs booting to Ubuntu. "Interfacing directly with the hardware", as you put it. You keep ignoring that I'm telling you this.

Sorry - but Apple pretty much said that their on their own:   that was silly and childish of them -- certainly not professional.

And you are imagining things. Apple never said anything of the sort. I posted the quote in an earlier comment, Craig Federighi simply said that whether Windows for ARM is made available is up to Microsoft. Which is absolutely true irrespective of whether Apple assist with modifying Boot Camp, or additional developer support, neither of which he directly commented on. You are claiming to know things that you do not know.

The only thing childish here is your stubborn clinging to a falsehood in the face of no one agreeing with you, and apparent belief that you can make it true by repeating it over and over. What a lot of tedious noise over something that hardly anyone even wants. 

You sound all upset that Apple won't lift a finger to help Microsoft port Windows to run natively on the M1.

I'm not upset at all, I use an Intel MacBook Air right now so this doesn't affect me one iota.  I think Apple have done all they need to, and would probably assist more if asked, but they can't do anything unless Microsoft want to make Windows available at retail for ARM machines, which as of yet they have not shown any inclination towards doing.  If there's anything else going on behind the scenes I don't know about it, but neither do you, despite your repeated absurd claims.

If Microsoft release a version of Windows that works on M1 Macs then great, and if they don't I won't lose sleep over it, Windows for ARM has pretty bad reviews.  Either way Apple have no power to compel Microsoft to release Windows for ARM, or to make it good.  It is up to Microsoft.

Of course Apple cannot compel them to develop a version of Windows that will run on the M1.   It is up to Microsoft -- and Apple can and should assist in that effort.  And, at some point, both will likely do their jobs since it is in the best interests of both of them.
    Your posts are worthless. Even with the facts presented to you you can't admit that you were wrong. You're worse than Trump.
    edited February 2021 sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 124 of 126
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Your posts are worthless. Even with the facts presented to you you can't admit that you were wrong. You're worse than Trump.

His quote just demonstrated what I've been saying.  Apple is laying it all on Microsoft, washing their hands of it  and walking away.

• Reply 125 of 126
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

His quote just demonstrated what I've been saying.  Apple is laying it all on Microsoft,
    It is all on Microsoft, they own and develop Windows for ARM and it's completely on them to decide if they want to release it.  Apple can do nothing if Microsoft don't take the first steps in deciding if they want to move in that direction.

washing their hands of it
    Nope, they didn't do that. You've inserted your owen imagination into the quote there.

and walking away.
    Nope, they didn't do that. You've inserted your owen imagination into the quote there.

Enough George, you've got nothing.
    Xedspheric
  • Reply 126 of 126
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    crowley said:

His quote just demonstrated what I've been saying.  Apple is laying it all on Microsoft,
    It is all on Microsoft, they own and develop Windows for ARM and it's completely on them to decide if they want to release it.  Apple can do nothing if Microsoft don't take the first steps in deciding if they want to move in that direction.

washing their hands of it

and walking away.

Enough George, you've got nothing.

If you say so and it makes you feel better, Ok...