2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    darkvader said:
    CuJoYYC said:
    "sooner rather than later"
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,

Later rather than sooner would be better.

I'm advising all my clients who are considering new Mac purchases to buy Intel Macs now, while they still can.

The M1 Macs are NOT as fast as the benchmarks would suggest, the Intels are faster in the real world, they can hold more RAM, and for at least some models they can still be upgraded.

And given that many users need x86 Windoze virtual machines, the M1s are utterly worthless to them.
    That's good advice if your clients need to run Windows VMs. I agree the M1s are utterly worthless to them. But for the rest of us M1s could be far better. Do you have any idea what percentage of Mac users run Windows VMs? 80%? 50%?
    Fidonet127cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 508member
    darkvader said:
    CuJoYYC said:
    "sooner rather than later"
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,

Later rather than sooner would be better.

I'm advising all my clients who are considering new Mac purchases to buy Intel Macs now, while they still can.

The M1 Macs are NOT as fast as the benchmarks would suggest, the Intels are faster in the real world, they can hold more RAM, and for at least some models they can still be upgraded.

And given that many users need x86 Windoze virtual machines, the M1s are utterly worthless to them.
    Intel Macs are dropping on the resale market, so it is a bad idea to have this blanket push to buy Intel Macs while you can. If you absolutely need Windows, buy a windows PC, or wait longer for MS to allow it on the ASi Macs. These are low end ASi Macs, so if you need tons of memory, tons of processing power, software or hardware that doesn't work with Big Sur or ASi Macs, then yes, keep on Intel. For the vast majority, the ASi Macs out now will work great for them. I don't regret my M1 Macs. To me CPU and GPU improvements have been massive, though I'm coming from 2014 Macs.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Fidonet127 said:
    Intel Macs are dropping on the resale market, so it is a bad idea to have this blanket push to buy Intel Macs while you can. If you absolutely need Windows, buy a windows PC, or wait longer for MS to allow it on the ASi Macs. These are low end ASi Macs, so if you need tons of memory, tons of processing power, software or hardware that doesn't work with Big Sur or ASi Macs, then yes, keep on Intel. For the vast majority, the ASi Macs out now will work great for them. I don't regret my M1 Macs. To me CPU and GPU improvements have been massive, though I'm coming from 2014 Macs.
    Yeah, for example, my wife uses fairly standard Mac apps and video editing for her YouTube channel. Here current MBA could use a refresh eventually, and besides all of Big Sur's issues (which she unfortunately has on her older MBA, because Apple has gotten too tricky), I think it would be an improvement in about every way.

Myself, I can't replace my Intel Mac for who knows how long? I need to run some Windows-only software, either via Boot Camp or Parallels (luckily Parallels works pretty well, so I get the best of both worlds at the same time). I'd love an M-series, but I'm in no particular hurry aside from curiosity.
    watto_cobra