which drive to put my OSs' on?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, been lurkin

this is sort of a pc/unix question. just built a pc a few months ago to goof around with Fbsd and winxp and now i have added both os's to my, "arsenal" anywho, on with the situation.

I have 5 HDDs in my comp now, and am wondering which drive should I install my os's on. It will have a 20gig partition for winXP, one 20gig partition for FreeBSD. Anyway, the drives are:

200gig WD se (8mb cache)

120gig WD se (8mb cache)

80gig WD (2mb cache)

80gig Seagate Barracude IV (2mb cache)

10gig WD (ATA 66)

i know not to put the 10 gig (ata66) as the boot disk, but i seriusly can't decide which of the drives to put my two OS's on. As usual, i will NOT be using the Boot disk for swap, i will create swap partition/slices for either OS a separate drive on separate IDE channel.

BTW, epox 8k5a2+ mobo, and all the storage space is for mp3 and divx :P

what are your thoughts on this and thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Usually a slow OS like XP should be installed on the fastest drive. Swap files should live on the fastest drive, too, and if you can afford it to have them on partitions of two separate fastest drives, it should be great. I don't know your BIOS restrictions in regard to which drives it can boot from, but you get the main idea. Sorry if I said something obvious.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    If I remember correctly, XP *must* be on the first partition of the first ATA drive. Linux doesn't really care, so that's not a problem. As far as which drive.... I dunno. \
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wagnerite

Hi, been lurkin

this is sort of a pc/unix question. just built a pc a few months ago to goof around with Fbsd and winxp and now i have added both os's to my, "arsenal" anywho, on with the situation.

I have 5 HDDs in my comp now, and am wondering which drive should I install my os's on. It will have a 20gig partition for winXP, one 20gig partition for FreeBSD. Anyway, the drives are:

200gig WD se (8mb cache)

120gig WD se (8mb cache)

80gig WD (2mb cache)

80gig Seagate Barracude IV (2mb cache)

10gig WD (ATA 66)

i know not to put the 10 gig (ata66) as the boot disk, but i seriusly can't decide which of the drives to put my two OS's on. As usual, i will NOT be using the Boot disk for swap, i will create swap partition/slices for either OS a separate drive on separate IDE channel.

BTW, epox 8k5a2+ mobo, and all the storage space is for mp3 and divx :P

what are your thoughts on this and thanks in advance

Awesome system ya got there. I wanna try out Linux... But I wanna run it on a comp that can be on for long increments of time... Red Hat is on my list to try out... I'd die for that much space..
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Put your MS OS on the first partition of the first disk.

You can put XP (and 2000) on other drive but lots of apps throw a wobbly when they can't see c:/(OSNAME).

We run a few boxes with 2000/Debian(hamm)/Suse.

I upgraded to a newer bios to be able to boot from other hard drives.

Dobby.