Apple considering ruggedized Apple Watch for release as soon as 2021

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MacPro said:
    I want one for retirees that emphasizes relaxation, gentle exercises like cleaning teeth, and gin and tonic time. With reminders like, "Are you still breathing" and "Go on, stay in bed another hour."
    One step after the assisted living facility and before the nursing home!  No thanks!

I tend to agree.  Actually, I strongly agree.
    But his way has a certain appeal that's hard to ignore....

If he's doing it with his eyes open I say "Go for it!"
  • Reply 22 of 46
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    I want one for retirees that emphasizes relaxation, gentle exercises like cleaning teeth, and gin and tonic time. With reminders like, "Are you still breathing" and "Go on, stay in bed another hour."
    One step after the assisted living facility and before the nursing home!  No thanks!
    You obviously have a great appreciation for humor there.  ;)

Yeh, he missed it.
    We fitness nuts tend to take it all too seriously sometimes.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    longpath said:
    Just wear a Solar Powered G-Shock watch and be done with the whole having to plug in your watch at night or at any point during the day because the battery life sucks.
    How much data does the Solar powered G-shock give the wearer? The trend in sports watches, as amply demonstrated with the Garmin Fenix series, is collecting data to improve training and performance. I say this as someone who owns and has been scuba diving with an Oceanus (Casio's former high end division) with solar power and it's titanium case is plenty robust for sports use; but it doesn't tell me a thing about what my body is doing, so it's utility ends at telling time (although I fully admit that's helpful when timing decompression stops, if you're not using a dive computer).

wizard69 said:
    With the way the space industry is going, Apple would be smart to offer a vacuum safe watch.   That is a watch that will not explode if accidentally exposed to a vacuum.   That would be an interesting battery problem, not sure how they would solve that.    However I really think people are underestimating how big the space industry will become over this decade.    If you agree, Apple would benefit from being able to advertise that their watch is used by astronauts or those @#$!!&@ Martians.
    Is there any reason to believe that an Apple Watch has a pressurized interior component? Also, if I'm exposed to hard vacuum, my watch is not high on my list of matters I'm concerned about. Getting my backside back inside a pressurized part of the ship before I black out is my concern. I do concede that the watch might give interesting data on how my body reacted during that exposure; but that's extremely low on the list of importance in a situation that can be life threatening in seconds to minutes.

Unless like you said, you’re going scuba diving. The need to have a watch that tells you what your body is doing or how it’s reacting to certain situations, is not necessary in my opinion. But if you are doing some type of exercise or scuba diving or what have you, then yes, I see the need for a watch that will do all of that. 

Until then, unless you’re running a marathon for diving in search of the Lost City of Atlantis, stick to a normal watch. Solar Powered G-Shock watches are the best option, in my opinion. 

• Reply 24 of 46
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Better swim tracking? How about just make the Apple Watch where it’s more water proof? Had my series 2 die at roughly 2 years from water damage, still in a pool........ took a while to convince the Apple “genius” (idiot?) it was water damage. Had to buy a series 4 because of Apple’s failure.....

coming up on 20 months with the 4. So far, so good 
  • Reply 25 of 46
    seankill said:
    Better swim tracking? How about just make the Apple Watch where it’s more water proof? Had my series 2 die at roughly 2 years from water damage, still in a pool........ took a while to convince the Apple “genius” (idiot?) it was water damage. Had to buy a series 4 because of Apple’s failure.....

Did Apple ever say the Series 2 was water resistant?   I think that didn't happen till the Series 3.
    randominternetpersonmike1
  • Reply 26 of 46
    seankill said:

Did Apple ever say the Series 2 was water resistant?   I think that didn't happen till the Series 3.
    Yes, it was resistant to 50m just like the series 3. Doubt I  ever got it beyond 2 meters - I’m not a diver. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Rugged version of the Apple Watch is a dumb down version like the Apple Watch SE?  No thanks!  Who wants to wear a budget Watch with limited features inside it?
    It’s for people who go outdoors and do fun stuff. 
    dewme
  • Reply 28 of 46
    seankill said:

Yes, it was resistant to 50m just like the series 3. Doubt I  ever got it beyond 2 meters - I’m not a diver.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 46
    kitatitkitatit Posts: 66member
    I’d love a ruggedized Apple Watch, also AirPods case that doesn’t use magnets. The magnets attract metal particles and cause the lid not to close properly. My work it too rough and dirty for me to wear an Apple Watch, even though I’d like to.  I’d like some protrusions on the case that protect the crown from being bent or broken off.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    Just wear a Solar Powered G-Shock watch and be done with the whole having to plug in your watch at night or at any point during the day because the battery life sucks.
    That has an on board computer for tracking all the activity stuff? I mean that’s the point of the device, not just being a rugged digital watch. 
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 31 of 46
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Apple considering ruggedized Apple Watch for release as soon as 2021"

But in the article it said fall of 2021 or 2022, hardly "as soon as 2021" 

• Reply 32 of 46
    macapfel said:
    Makes sense, as Apple Watch is heavily used for sports and outdoors. 

Actually, its the opposite.   The Apple Watch is already well suited to sports and outdoor activities.

So:  Please point out any weaknesses you perceive that it has in that area because I am simply not aware of any except scratching of the crystal -- which can be limited with a sapphire crystal which is already available for those who want to pay for it.
    In fact, with fall detection and LTE, I feel far safer going outdoors with my watch.  In fact, I do not feel safe without it.   So, even if it were too delicate for outdoor use (which it isn't), those benefits would likely take precedence over any perceived weakness.
    The type of sports enthusiasts that are driven to buy more rugged watches aren’t the type of users that are concerned about falling unless it is over a cliff.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    Make a slimmer watch without all the sensors and faff

• Reply 34 of 46
    macapfel said:
    Makes sense, as Apple Watch is heavily used for sports and outdoors. 

Actually, its the opposite.   The Apple Watch is already well suited to sports and outdoor activities.

So:  Please point out any weaknesses you perceive that it has in that area because I am simply not aware of any except scratching of the crystal -- which can be limited with a sapphire crystal which is already available for those who want to pay for it.
    In fact, with fall detection and LTE, I feel far safer going outdoors with my watch.  In fact, I do not feel safe without it.   So, even if it were too delicate for outdoor use (which it isn't), those benefits would likely take precedence over any perceived weakness.
    The type of sports enthusiasts that are driven to buy more rugged watches aren’t the type of users that are concerned about falling unless it is over a cliff.

That seems like a pretty limited customer base -- unless it sucks in the kind who buys an off road vehicle to drive around town.  There are plenty of them, I call them chest thumpers, these days
  • Reply 35 of 46
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Will it tell me the hummer of miles I’ve cycled, and send that info to my activity app.  And take phone calls? 
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDays
  • Reply 36 of 46
    wizard69 said:
    With the way the space industry is going, Apple would be smart to offer a vacuum safe watch.   That is a watch that will not explode if accidentally exposed to a vacuum.   That would be an interesting battery problem, not sure how they would solve that.    However I really think people are underestimating how big the space industry will become over this decade.    If you agree, Apple would benefit from being able to advertise that their watch is used by astronauts or those @#$!!&@ Martians.
    Those @#$!!&@ Martians?  Hey, if you don’t like Elon, just don’t buy a Tesla.  /jk
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 37 of 46
    ... I would be happy to see a round option from an aesthetic standpoint, with direct sync vs needing iCloud (I am told) from a privacy standpoint ...
    You will never see Apple make a round Apple Watch.  
    - RadarTheKat, 2014
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDays
  • Reply 38 of 46
    “Apple” and “rugged” strike me as two words that are mutually exclusive/incompatible.

Sure, they may want to make a watch that looks rugged (and even that I doubt) to chase the rugged wearables market, but I don’t believe it’s in their DNA (to paraphrase Apple’s own terrible and cliched metaphor) to make products that are genuinely tough and long-lasting.
    edited March 2021 kitatit
  • Reply 39 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    s.metcalf said:
    “Apple” and “rugged” strike me as two words that are mutually exclusive/incompatible.

Sure, they may want to make a watch that looks rugged (and even that I doubt) to chase the rugged wearables market, but I don’t believe it’s in their DNA (to paraphrase Apple’s own terrible and cliched metaphor) to make products that are genuinely tough and long-lasting.
    1) “in our DNA” isn’t an Apple-coined phrase. It’s used by everyone.

2) Nuts. Dunno what world you’re living in, but here in this one Apple gear has the longest useful lifespans and thus the highest resale values. I’m a developer and I had an iMac for 8 years, which is remarkable for a desktop. My Windows machines were complete junk by that time and never got that sort of genuinely useful lifespan. Similar story with my MBP. iPads also last forever, and iPhones routinely command the best after market sales. 
    mike1
  • Reply 40 of 46
    s.metcalf said:

1) “in our DNA” isn’t an Apple-coined phrase. It’s used by everyone.

2) Nuts. Dunno what world you’re living in, but here in this one Apple gear has the longest useful lifespans and thus the highest resale values. I’m a developer and I had an iMac for 8 years, which is remarkable for a desktop. My Windows machines were complete junk by that time and never got that sort of genuinely useful lifespan. Similar story with my MBP. iPads also last forever, and iPhones routinely command the best after market sales. 

My financial computer, an IBM Thinkpad T60p, is 14 years old,  runs perfectly and sports a current, fully supported Windows operating system.  I keep thinking of upgrading it -- but there's simply no reason for me to do that.   It does what I need and runs perfectly.  And if it ever doesn't, I will likely be able to fix it pretty cheaply and easily.

It's looking like that thing will run longer than I will.
    muthuk_vanalingam