Leaked images of revamped iPad Pro and iPad mini show few changes

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2021
A purported image of forthcoming iPad mini dummy cases shows the same design as the iPad mini 5, while ones for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro appear to feature a reduced camera bump.

Purported leaked iPad Pro and iPad mini dummies
Purported leaked iPad Pro and iPad mini dummies

As expectations mount that a new iPad Pro may be revealed soon, a long-time leaker has shown off images of dummy chassis designs. Alongside dummies for both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the images feature what's believed to be the "iPad mini 6."

Refreshed iPad Pros and iPad Mini dummies. Triple Camera array on the pros. Central camera up top on iPad mini; slightly thicker. Hard to tell and different in screen size. pic.twitter.com/5Luizv1T2r

-- Sonny Dickson (@SonnyDickson)

Leaker Sonny Dickson says that these are dummy units, so there is no display to turn on yet. That makes determining the width of bezels uncertain -- but it appears that both the iPad Pro and iPad mini refreshes feature no marked redesigns.

One potential exception to this is that the two iPad Pro dummies show all the correct ports, except for the Smart Connector. The regular Smart Connector is not visible in the images in its usual place, nor is it reportedly relocated to anywhere else on the chassis. The Magic Keyboard requires this connector, so it seems unlikely to have been stricken from the design.

Other features, such as a Thunderbolt USB-C port versus a USB 3.1 type C port and a faster processor expected for the model are obviously not able to be shown on a dummy likely intended for the case manufacture industry.

Separately, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro dummy does appear to feature a less pronounced rear camera bump, as compared to 11-inch dummy, or the currently shipping models.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    The smart connector is perfectly visible at the bottom of the iPad Pro dummy unit, however it looks to have had a slight redesign so that only the perimeter of the connectors are exposed metal to make contact and the centres are the same colour as the iPad. It actually looks much more elegant to me as it blends in. If memory serves the original smart connectors looked more like this. 
  • Reply 2 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    What I’ve wanted is for Apple to put the FaceTime sensors and front cameras on a long side. It’s ridiculous that they have it in the portrait position. Who really uses an iPad that way most of the time? This is a horizontal device. FaceTime isn’t as useful because on the side, it doesn’t always work, because you hold it by the sides.
    dysamoriacanukstormh2p
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    auuuugh I really hope this is wrong, I was so looking forward to a modern iPad Mini

If true, we won't see a design refresh until probably 2024 ;_;
    dewmeike17055firelockPezailoveapplegear
  • Reply 4 of 34
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    auuuugh I really hope this is wrong, I was so looking forward to a modern iPad Mini

What makes it “not modern”? Change for the sake of change is bad.
    Beats
  • Reply 5 of 34
    dysamoria said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

I'm referring to the "design language" of the iPad Pro, iPad Air, and iPhone 12. flat sides, no "chin" or "forehead." This design is pretty universally acclaimed and would make the iPad Mini a much better device (either smaller and more portable with the same screen size, or much more screen in the same device size), not "change for the sake of change" at all.
    edited April 2021 muthuk_vanalingambloggerblogfastasleepfirelockPezailoveapplegear
  • Reply 6 of 34
    melgross said:
    What I’ve wanted is for Apple to put the FaceTime sensors and front cameras on a long side. It’s ridiculous that they have it in the portrait position. Who really uses an iPad that way most of the time? This is a horizontal device. FaceTime isn’t as useful because on the side, it doesn’t always work, because you hold it by the sides.
    You are completely wrong.  Browsing the web and using 99% of apps are in portrait mode, you can see more of a page in portrait mode.  The only time people use it in Landscape is for video and some games, or for the small percentage of people that bought a keyboard for it instead of a MacBook.  FaceTime with a person is more ideal in portrait mode than landscape mode.
    muthuk_vanalingamBeats
  • Reply 7 of 34

Eric_WVGG said:

You will never see it.  The iPad mini is a low cost iPad, just like the $329 iPad.  It will never look like the Air or Pro.

The one nice benefit of the mini and $329 iPad is the square cornered display, not the ridiculous rounded corners of the Pro and the Air.
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 8 of 34
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    melgross said:
    Everybody who is not watching a video.  It's not a "horizontal" device.  It was designed to be used primarily in portrait mode since that is optimum for consuming most content.  
    muthuk_vanalingamBeats
  • Reply 9 of 34
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    I use my 12.9 iPad pro horizontally.  It's too tall to use in portrait.
    edited April 2021 melgross
  • Reply 10 of 34

Eric_WVGG said:

You will never see it.  The iPad mini is a low cost iPad, just like the $329 iPad.  It will never look like the Air or Pro."
    "Never"? The idea that 2025 iPads will look like 2015 iPads sounds pretty silly.

Design changes like this always trickle down from the expensive models to the mainstream models. Apple is very predictable in this way.
    canukstormmuthuk_vanalingamiloveapplegear
  • Reply 11 of 34
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    flydog said:
    melgross said:
    Everybody who is not watching a video.  It's not a "horizontal" device.  It was designed to be used primarily in portrait mode since that is optimum for consuming most content.  
    The 12.9" iPad Pro is very uncomfortable to hold in portrait orientation for long periods of time.  Any device above 10.9" screen size is far better used in landscape.
    edited April 2021 melgross
  • Reply 12 of 34
    The 12.9" iPad Pro is very uncomfortable to hold in portrait orientation for long periods of time.  Any device above 10.9" screen size is far better used in landscape.
    I'd love to see some analytics on this. I personally think you're dead wrong. Particularly w/r/t web browsing.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    I don't know if I've ever used my iPads in portrait mode. They just feel much more natural in landscape. IMO. 
    ike17055melgross
  • Reply 14 of 34
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    melgross said:
    Yet if they did that, then the camera would be on the right side where people would be just as likely to hold it when in portrait. I don't use FaceTime ever, but it's super rare that my iPad Pro is in landscape while being held; it's usually when it's in its propped up mode on my desk or wherever. Otherwise I'm holding it in portrait 99% of the time.

If you mean Face ID ("it doesn't always work" sounds like a Face ID not FaceTime problem), I literally have zero problems using it in horizontal mode.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 15 of 34
    ike17055ike17055 Posts: 121member
    dysamoria said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

here is what it means to me: new design with bigger screen means I buy the new model.. no redesign means I do not.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 34
    melgross said:
    You are completely wrong.  Browsing the web and using 99% of apps are in portrait mode, you can see more of a page in portrait mode.  The only time people use it in Landscape is for video and some games, or for the small percentage of people that bought a keyboard for it instead of a MacBook.  FaceTime with a person is more ideal in portrait mode than landscape mode.”
    Sorry but that is your opinion and not how everyone uses the device.  All of my iPads live in landscape  mode.  I only use portrait mode for poorly designed apps that force me to do portrait mode.  

For evidence of your belief is total crap, my are the Apple designed accessories designed for landscape mode? The Smart Cover, the Magic Keyboard, and the Smart Keyboard are all designed for only landscape mode.
    Pezamelgross
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I'd love to see some analytics on this. I personally think you're dead wrong. Particularly w/r/t web browsing.
    Sorry but that is your opinion and not how everyone uses the device.  All of my iPads live in landscape  mode.  I only use portrait mode for poorly designed apps that force me to do portrait mode.  

For evidence of your belief is wrong, why are the Apple designed accessories designed for landscape mode? The Smart Cover, the Magic Keyboard, and the Smart Keyboard are all designed for only landscape mode.
    melgross
  • Reply 18 of 34
    nicoteonicoteo Posts: 8member
    melgross said:
    Count me in as one who mainly uses both my 12.9 and 11inch in portrait the majority of the time when handheld. And when I do hold it in landscape position, I hold it near the bottom right and left...nowhere near obscuring the camera...since this device is meant to be used in either orientation, you're always going to have someone upset it seems..unless there's a camera in both spots. 

Actually, when I use the iPads in landscape, I'm rarely holding them. They're either attached to their keyboard or on a stand. This is the way I see most people using it out and about when in landscape and at my workplace and in my house. I'm sure there are plenty who use it the way you do as well. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 34
    nicoteonicoteo Posts: 8member

Eric_WVGG said:

For evidence of your belief is wrong, why are the Apple designed accessories designed for landscape mode? The Smart Cover, the Magic Keyboard, and the Smart Keyboard are all designed for only landscape mode.
    Not OP, but I'd guess for one, that the accessories, which are either to prop up the iPad for movie / media consumption or for text input, such as a keyboard, would not be very useful in portrait mode, as it would make the keyboards excessively small to type on and uncomfortable. That was design by necessity, and doesn't show anything about intended use. Plus people are used to laptops and this was at least at some point painted as a laptop alternative.

But that argument doesn't really address the original point of this further up about this being a primarily horizontal device needing a camera in landscape. The person posting had said that the camera should be in the landscape orientation so as not to cover it when holding it in landscape. All of Apple's accessories are not designed to be held while in landscape. They are designed to be set on a surface to keep the iPad in landscape while typing and viewing content that is better seen in landscape. Which means the camera would not be covered in those uses. 

And again, since the iPad can be used in any orientation, the camera risks being covered no matter what unless there were two. I don't think it's that hard to hold the iPad in landscape and avoid covering the camera.

But yes, I do agree with you that everyone uses their iPads differently. Mine are almost always in Portrait as that's my preference for a lot of what I do. I use a stand or keyboard accessory when in landscape usually. And when I'm drawing and sketching I really use it in all orientations as I'm turning it constantly. I'm hoping to buy one of those stands that holds iitn like the old iMac G4 but adding screen rotation to the mix.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 20 of 34
    nicoteo said:
    melgross said:
    Count me in as one who mainly uses both my 12.9 and 11inch in portrait the majority of the time when handheld. And when I do hold it in landscape position, I hold it near the bottom right and left...nowhere near obscuring the camera...since this device is meant to be used in either orientation, you're always going to have someone upset it seems..unless there's a camera in both spots. 

Actually, when I use the iPads in landscape, I'm rarely holding them. They're either attached to their keyboard or on a stand. This is the way I see most people using it out and about when in landscape and at my workplace and in my house. I'm sure there are plenty who use it the way you do as well. 
    You are absolutely spot on. Myself and my family members have used the iPad in portrait mode most of the times, but I could very well see why MANY of the others could be using it in landscape mode. In short - iPads are NOT intended to be used in any specific orientation, they are adaptable to both orientations depending on the needs of the users. 

@Melgross got it wrong on this, which is rare but it happens.
    nicoteo