SARS - where did it come from?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    You are the one irresponsible here when you deny the major potential threat that represant SARS for the world. But you are not a doctor and i can't blame you for that.

This epidemia is a serious threat and should been deal seriously. It seems to be the case in Honk Kong, and it will allow to stop the epidemia and things will return to normal. But it has to be manage in the proper way and not minoring this issue, like the chinese governement did. If the chinese gov have taken the rights solutions in time, it will limited the epidemia. Perhaps the economical situation in Hong Kong will not sucked now. But i am confident in the management of these epidemia, it will allow to stop it, and the normal life will return back in asia. It's just a temporary crisis, like the gulf war is an another one.

This epidemia have to been stopped before they grow, because when they are too big it's too late, due to the exponential developpement of them. Luckyly this type of infection is noisy (contrary to aids), and it's allow to contain it quckly and stop the disaster, like the virus Ebola and Marburg in the past. But if drastics solutions are not taken, this type of virus can killed millions of people. I do not say we have to panic, but we must be very carefull.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    SARS=not a problem for nations with modern healthcare systems.

You notice that no one outside of Hong Kong/China has died from the disease? My girlfriend (who is a doctor) says that there's probably hundreds more people who have it, but never went to the doctor, because it's no worse than the the flu. It's hyped-up media bullshit, just like anthrax letters, Y2k, etc. How quickly we forget.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Hong Kong DOES have a modern healthcare system - the main reason Hong Kong has been hit so hard is that it was one of the first places to be infected. Now that everyone knows what to look out for, other countries are quicker to respond to any outbreaks.

China on the other hand does NOT have a modern healthcare system. You still get a lot of pregnant women going into HK on a tourist visa and then overstaying so as to give birth in HK and their child will then receive the best healthcare and education.

Another factor against these two places is that they are VERY densly populated.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

SARS=not a problem for nations with modern healthcare systems.

You notice that no one outside of Hong Kong/China has died from the disease? My girlfriend (who is a doctor) says that there's probably hundreds more people who have it, but never went to the doctor, because it's no worse than the the flu. It's hyped-up media bullshit, just like anthrax letters, Y2k, etc. How quickly we forget.

SARS is more dangerous when you are old and weak, and have only acess to insuffisant healthcare. But there is not specific therapy against SARS.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    "SARS - where did it come from?"

"A kitchen worker hits a water rat on the head to stun it before it is killed for a meal in a restaurent in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou."

(AFP/File/Peter Parks)

Uh...you make the call...\