Apple launches new Apple TV 4K with A12 Bionic CPU, redesigned Siri remote

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    dkhaleydkhaley Posts: 57member
    While not unexpected, I'm pleased that they're including thread support, which is important to Homekit's future.

I suppose many of you didn't notice because you were too busy complaining about the remote control.

StrangeDaysseanboy81asdasdbeowulfschmidtwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 84
    PeteM said:
    Will the new remote work with the old 4K Apple TV?

Per Apple website: "The Siri Remote (2nd generation) brings precise control to your Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD" with no distinction being made between the new 4K/HD boxes and the 2017 4K and 2015 HD Apple TV boxes (at least not yet).
    superklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 84
    cpfcpf Posts: 7member
    cpf said:
    A12 is slower for gaming than A10X.... are you sure it's not 12X?

It's actually the A12 Bionic.
    Does  A12 Bionic = A12X?

I thought there are 3 versions of that chip?
    -- 
    A12 Bionic  (in iPhone XS ) https://support.apple.com/kb/SP779?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    -- 
    A12X Bionic  (in iPad Pro 3ed gen) https://support.apple.com/kb/SP784?locale=en_US
    -- 
    A12Z Bionic (in iPad Pro 4th gen) https://support.apple.com/kb/SP815?locale=en_US

edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 84
    elijahg said:
    First impression is wow that's expensive. The remote seems better though, which was one of my main complaints. Also, no use having a CPU "as powerful as an Xbox One" when all the games are graphically about the same as the first gen Xbox or PS2, and all but a few are nowhere near as immersive.
    “Most” might be a stretch. Even those old machines could run battlefield. It’s interesting that modern warfare runs on an iphone 5S (not a typo) but isn’t built for any apple tv models. 
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 84
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mike1 said:
    The Apple TV 4K also gains a new color balance feature, that uses advanced sensors in the iPhone to set the colors accurately on a user's TV set. Using the camera and proximity sensor, it guides users with an onscreen target to manage color balance automatically.

Any reason this feature couldn't be used with the original 4K model? Seems like most of the heavy lifting is done in the phone.

Unlikely. It has been explained to me that the color balance feature adjusts the output of the Apple TV and does NOT adjust the TV itself.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 84
    The tech specs product page on Apple says it also has Thread.

edited April 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 84
    neillwd said:
    Hate the remote.
    Came here to say exactly that. It reminds me of the old remotes before they used a touch pad. I dread “click, click, clicking” around m the screen rather than just a swipe which can get me to the other side of the screen in a single gesture. 

Thought I was the only one who liked and understood what the touch remote accomplished. 
    Agreed on the touchpad, it was way better than D-pad clicking. Momentum and scrubbing are so great, hope they persist that functionality. (haven’t watched event yet) Sounds like it has both:

The all-new Siri Remote features an innovative clickpad control that offers five-way navigation for better accuracy, and is also touch-enabled for the fast directional swipes Apple TV users love. The outer ring of the clickpad supports an intuitive circular gesture that turns it into a jog control — perfect for finding a scene in a movie or show. 
    What’s amazing to me is that there are still people using this thing for anything more than a troubleshooting device when the software remote on your iphone stops working unexpectedly. Abandon it! Mine sits under my apple tv so i know where to find it. That’s how useful it is! 
    MplsP
  • Reply 28 of 84
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    hcrefugee said:
    PeteM said:

Per Apple website: "The Siri Remote (2nd generation) brings precise control to your Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD" with no distinction being made between the new 4K/HD boxes and the 2017 4K and 2015 HD Apple TV boxes (at least not yet).

Compatibility

Apple TV Models

• Apple TV 4K (2nd generation)
    • Apple TV 4K (1st generation)
    • Apple TV HD

Sounds promising.   I see little need for an A12.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    PeteMPeteM Posts: 10member
    hcrefugee said:
    PeteM said:

Thanks for the Link, And the good news under the dropdown for compatibility it says it is compatible with older models.
    edited April 2021 hcrefugeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 84
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 272member
    mobird said:
    I wonder how this "new color balance feature" actually works and is it literally changing the TV''s settings, can it be disabled, does it restore to original settings when exited? My Sony Bravia XBR55A9G was professionally calibrated and I don't want my iPhone mucking with anything.
    Please tell me it wasn't the Geek Squad. TV Calibration might be the single biggest waste of money associated with buying a TV.
    llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Thread support is quoted in the tech specs - hopefully, the Apple TV will act as a Thread Border Router for HomeKit, just like the HomePod mini. Really good for those of us not HomePod users.
    jeffreytgilbertwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 84
    wwinter86 said:
    The tech specs product page on Apple says it also has Thread.

Was the old one bluetooth 5 or 4? The bluetooth wasn’t great. The mimo stuff is cool if i didn’t have the device wired into the router already. 
  • Reply 33 of 84
    cpf said: Does  A12 Bionic = A12X?
    No. A12 Bionic is not an X series chip. Apple appears to be retiring the X series, so the only question per ATV is why they didn't go with the A13 or A14. 
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 84
    I struggle to find a real value-add here and I want to - many TVs have the AppleTV+ app now and AirPlay2.  If I have a A12/A14 in my phone, M1 in my iPad.... do I really need another under the TV.
    edited April 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 84
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,776member
    Detnator said:

elijahg said:
    First impression is wow that's expensive. The remote seems better though, which was one of my main complaints. Also, no use having a CPU "as powerful as an Xbox One" when all the games are graphically about the same as the first gen Xbox or PS2, and all but a few are nowhere near as immersive.

Hopefully this gives the game developers more to work in order to build decent games.  Maybe the processing just wasn't up to it before?  

It could be that or it could be "Apple stuff just isn't for real games" syndrome.  The devs (perhaps incorrectly) think that so they don't build the decent games, thus self-fulfilling prophecy type thing?
    Actually part of it is Apple forces devs (with Apple Arcade at least) to target the iPhone 6S as a minimum spec. That presumably is rolling, so until the minimum requirement ends up at whatever phone has the AppleTV CPU in, in say 5 years time, nothing on AA will be making full use of the GPU. Not sure if that applies to other games on AppleTV too, but currently it's pretty stupid. Historically Apple has put a lot of barriers in the way for Mac gaming devs, which is where the "Apple stuff just isn't for real games" comes from.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 36 of 84
    cpf said: Does  A12 Bionic = A12X?
    No. A12 Bionic is not an X series chip. Apple appears to be retiring the X series, so the only question per ATV is why they didn't go with the A13.
    Ok so it's coming with the A12 from the iPhone XS and NOT the iPad Pro as the article incorrectly states.  The iPad Pro came with a A12X or A12Z and never A12

"...upgrade is a shift to the A12 Bionic system-on-chip, which Apple has previously used in the iPad Pro ..."  https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/04/20/apple-launches-new-apple-tv-4k-with-a12-bionic-cpu-redesigned-siri-remote

-- A12 Bionic  (in iPhone XS ) https://support.apple.com/kb/SP779?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    -- 
    A12X Bionic  (in iPad Pro 3ed gen) https://support.apple.com/kb/SP784?locale=en_US
    -- 
    A12Z Bionic (in iPad Pro 4th gen) https://support.apple.com/kb/SP815?locale=en_US
    edited April 2021 elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 84
    elijahg said: Actually part of it is Apple forces devs (with Apple Arcade at least) to target the iPhone 6S as a minimum spec. 
    Apple Arcade has a baseline spec, but all of the games scale the quality of graphics (like textures/lighting effects) to the SoC that is being used. That's similar to how PC gaming works. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 84
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,470member
    neillwd said:
    Hate the remote.
    Came here to say exactly that. It reminds me of the old remotes before they used a touch pad. I dread “click, click, clicking” around m the screen rather than just a swipe which can get me to the other side of the screen in a single gesture. 

Thought I was the only one who liked and understood what the touch remote accomplished. 
    Agreed, and besides, you can tap (tap not clicks) on the edges of the current remote to mimic clicking. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 84
    No mention of whether or not this new Apple TV will support Spatial Audio. Any idea?
    Scot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 84
    No mention of whether or not this new Apple TV will support Spatial Audio. Any idea?
    I thought thats more an AirPods thing that an iPhone/ iPad / AppleTV thing?
    n2itivguywatto_cobra