Compared: 2021 iPad Pro vs 2020 iPad Pro and 2018 iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad
Apple has launched a new pair of iPad Pro models, but is it worth making the upgrade from the 2020 or 2018 models to the latest refresh? AppleInsider breaks down what's new in the 2021 iPad Pro update.

The 2021 iPad Pro range

Following a year where the iPad became more important than ever for those working or learning from home, Apple has revealed its latest iteration of the iPad Pro lineup. The updated hardware, which is offered in the continued 11-inch and 12.9-inch form factors, will generate buzz among those looking for a new iPad Pro upgrade.

However, the question is whether the 2021 iPad Pro lineup is worth the upgrade for existing iPad Pro users -- particularly those who have bought an iPad Pro in the last few years. On the face of it, there are relatively few major changes to the product, but the features that have changed amount to major improvements for the lineup.

So, is it worth it for you to update to the 2021 iPad Pro? Ahead of their release in the second half of May and the wave of product reviews, we turn to Apple's specifications for a direct comparison.

2021 iPad Pro vs 2020 and 2018 iPad Pro -- Specifications

2018 iPad Pro2020 iPad Pro2021 iPad Pro
Screen size (inches)11,12.911,12.911,12.9
Base price$799, $999$799, $999$799, $1,099
Resolution2,388 x 1,668,
2,732 x 2,048
2,388 x 1,668,
2,732 x 2,048
2,388 x 1,668,
2,732 x 2,048
Pixel Density (dpi)264, 264264, 264264, 264
Brightness (nits)600600600 (11-inch maximum)
1,000 (12.9-inch full-screen)
1,600 (12.9-inch peak brightness HDR)
Display typeLiquid Retina,
ProMotion,
True Tone,
Wide color (P3),
Fully Laminated
Liquid Retina,
ProMotion,
True Tone,
Wide color (P3),
Fully Laminated
Mini LED (12.9 only),
Liquid Retina,
ProMotion,
True Tone,
Wide color (P3),
Fully Laminated
ProcessorA12X BionicA12Z BionicM1
Apple PencilSecond GenerationSecond GenerationSecond Generation
Smart ConnectorYesYesYes
Dimensions (inches)9.74 x 7.02 x 0.23
11.04 x 8.46 x 0.23
9.74 x 7.02 x 0.23,
11.04 x 8.46 x 0.23
9.74 x 7.02 x 0.23,
11.04 x 8.46 x 0.25
Weight (lbs)1.03, 1.41.04, 1.411.03, 1.5
Capacities64GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, 2TB
Rear camera (MP)12 wide12 wide, 10 ultra wide, LiDAR12 wide, 10 ultra wide, LiDAR
Front camera (MP)7MP TrueDepth7MP TrueDepth12MP TrueDepth
Video recording4K at 30/60fps4K at 24/30/60fps (wide) and 60fps (ultra wide)4K at 24/30/60fps (wide) and 60fps (ultra wide)
BiometricFace IDFace IDFace ID
Speakers444
PortUSB-CUSB-CThunderbolt 4

Physical Appearance

Between the 2018 and 2020 iPad Pro models, there was only one real external difference between the two generations. While the 2018 model had a single camera, the 2020 upgraded it to a full camera bump and multiple cameras.

Other than that, the appearance was largely the same, using identical design language throughout. The dimensions were even identical across both sizes, at 9.74 inches by 7.02 inches for the 11-inch models, and 22.04 by 8.46 inches for the 12.9-inch versions. The thicknesses were the same at 0.23 inches apiece.

There were marginal weight differences, but we're talking a matter of grams between generations. For example, the 2018 11-inch iPad Pro weighed 1.03 pounds, while the 2020 variant was 1.04 pounds.

For 2021, Apple has barely changed the dimensions of the iPad Pro over the previous generation, with the 12.9-inch model being marginally thicker at 0.25 of an inch.

On the weight side, Apple has tweaked the 11-inch model to get it down to 2018's 1.03 pounds, while the 12.9-inch gains some mass to 1.5 pounds.

If you were expecting a radical design change to the exterior for 2021, you're certainly not going to find it here.

Displays

Users of the 2018 and 2020 models saw no change in display technology between the generations, with each using a Liquid Retina display and identical resolutions. The 2,388-by-1,668 pixel display of the 11-inch and the 2,732-by-2,048 resolution of the 12.9-inch stayed the same, as did the pixel densities of 264ppi.

There also wasn't a major shift in display technology usage either, with Apple employing the same backlighting system as usual for its iPads.

For 2021, there's a fundamental change in what Apple is using, at least for the 12.9-inch model. While the 11-inch model uses the unchanged backlighting system of yesteryear, Apple has beefed up the larger model by incorporating Mini LED into the Liquid Retina XDR display.

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro houses 10,000 mini LEDs, giving it 2,596 local dimming zones for considerably higher levels of contrast and better color representation overall. It has a contrast ratio of 1 million to 1, which is extremely high for a tablet display that doesn't use OLED.

The 12.9-inch model's use of mini LED means the screen has a high 1 million:1 contrast ratio.
The 12.9-inch model's use of mini LED means the screen has a high 1 million:1 contrast ratio.

Apple's implementation here is like a more extreme form of the Pro Display XDR's backlighting system, but with considerably more light sources, and in an ultrathin portable device.

While this technology may filter into the 11-inch model and other Apple hardware in future releases, the inclusion in the 12.9-inch iPad Pro demonstrates some of the benefits of bringing it to other Apple products down the road.

Cameras

On the back of the device, Apple shifted from a single camera on the 2018 to a full camera bump on the 2020 edition, introducing a 10MP ultra-wide camera alongside the 12MP wide lens that was there before.

The extra space in that bump also afforded Apple the inclusion of LiDAR, a system that can be used to improve the autofocus capabilities of the iPad Pro camera, along with some computational photography uses. The sensor is also able to be used for augmented reality applications, which is a field that is still relatively in its infancy.

Apple hasn't made any change to the 2020 rear camera setup for 2021, so you still have a 10MP ultra-wide and 12MP wide camera combo and LiDAR.

This includes the capability to record 4K video at up to 60fps and 1080p Slo-mo at 240fps.

Around the front, Apple has decided to continue to use its tried and tested TrueDepth camera. It's solid technology used for Face ID, and it hasn't really warranted much change over the years, but Apple has tweaked it for 2021 to have a 12-megapixel sensor instead of 7 megapixels.

It's not just a megapixel change, as it's using an ultra-wide lens, which can take advantage of the new Center Stage feature for video calls.

As users move around the field of view of the camera, the iPad Pro detects where they are and zooms in, shifting the frame around wherever the subject moves. If there's more than one person in shot, or someone walks in or out, Center Stage will also automatically reframe the picture to accommodate who is visible.

Performance

When Apple introduced the 2018 iPad Pro, it was equipped with the A12X Bionic chip, which at the time was a very capable processor. For 2020, Apple tweaked the design to make it the A12Z Bionic, giving it eight cores.

For 2021, Apple has taken the radical step of moving the iPad Pro away from the A-series chips altogether, in favor of using the M1 from its Mac lineup. This makes sense for Apple as it's reusing a proven desktop-class chip in a mobile product, one that also shares many design elements with its mobile counterparts.

While there are no benchmarks available for an iPad Pro-based M1 yet, it is probably best to turn to the Apple Silicon Mac lineup for comparisons, as they all use the same M1 chip.

The M1 should make the iPad Pro even more efficient when it comes to desktop-level workloads.
The M1 should make the iPad Pro even more efficient when it comes to desktop-level workloads.

In terms of single-core testing, the A14 manages 1,592 on Geekbench, while the A12Z can hit 1,158. On Metal, the A14 has benchmarks reaching 12,482, while the A12Z gets to 11,868, which is not that much of a difference.

On multi-core tests, the A12Z still manages to outpace the A14 at 4,654 versus 4,212. This is largely down to the 12Z having eight CPU cores and eight GPU cores, versus the six and four of the A14, since the iPad Pro's variant chips tend to have more cores.

The M1 Mac mini is more powerful than the A14, with it managing 1,710 under single-core tests and 7,409 for multi-core. Under Metal, Apple's M1 is considerably more powerful than the A14, at 20,573 points.

There is a caveat to this sort of comparison, in that this is comparing a desktop-class chip in a desktop machine against a mobile chip in a mobile device.

Desktops have a general advantage in that they are built with more powerful cooling systems, while mobile devices don't have the same level of cooling available. Mobile devices also cannot afford to get hot, otherwise it could be uncomfortable for a user holding it.

Given this, it is likely the M1 in the iPad Pro could see its score dip a little bit, but we ultimately won't know until it's actually tested.

USB-C to Thunderbolt

The last few generations of the iPad Pro line have singled themselves out as one of Apple's only mobile-oriented devices not to use Lightning. Using USB-C offered up many benefits, including enhanced external drive support, as well as compatibility with many other USB-C devices.

In the 2021 iPad Pro, Apple is making the shift over to Thunderbolt 4. Externally, there's no difference as it is still a USB Type-C connection, and even supports USB 4, but it's what it does that is important.

Thunderbolt is considerably faster than USB 3.1 Gen 2, with its 40Gbps of bandwidth trouncing USB's 10Gbps. You also have the other benefits of Thunderbolt, like being able to daisy-chain peripherals and storage devices through the same connection, without necessarily using a dock.

USB-C returns, but this time as Thunderbolt 4 and USB 4.
USB-C returns, but this time as Thunderbolt 4 and USB 4.

It's also compatible with any existing hardware that uses USB-C, so any current iPad Pro setups around the connection will continue to work fine.

The change in connection won't be important for everyone. For those who rely on an external display, more storage devices, and other hardware connected to the iPad Pro, it will be a game-changer.

Capacity and Pricing

In 2018, Apple offered four different storage capacities for the work-centric iPad Pro. The smallest you could get is 64GB of storage, rising to 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB at the highest.

This formula didn't change that much in 2020, with Apple switching out the 64GB for 128GB, but keeping the 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB options the same.

For 2021, Apple has finally increased the storage to five options, retaining the 2020 list but adding 2TB to the end.

Much like the rest of the device specifications and design, Apple kept things roughly the same in 2020 as it did in 2018. If you wanted an iPad Pro at launch, the 11-inch model would cost $799 at the lowest capacity, and the 12.9-inch was $999.

It's not quite the same in 2021, as while the 11-inch will still start from $799, the 12.9-inch has gone up to $1,099. There's a $1,100 difference between the lowest-capacity 128GB model and the highest-capacity 2TB model, with cellular connectivity costing an extra $200.

Should you upgrade?

The differences between the 2018 iPad Pro and the 2020 iPad Pro were not really that major. Aside from a processor refresh and an extra camera on the back, it was hard to really justify an upgrade from the 2018 model at the time.

One year later, the latest generation offers far more of an overall jump from 2018. Not only is there the camera and LiDAR, but you also benefit from Thunderbolt, the massive performance gains of the M1 chip and for the 12.9-inch model, a fantastic display technology upgrade.

The iPad Pro is a very good portable workstation. The 2021 model pushes that idea further.
The iPad Pro is a very good portable workstation. The 2021 model pushes that idea further.

It's not hard to imagine those with 2018 iPad Pro models or older shifting over to the 2021 versions. It's a bit tougher for 2020 iPad Pro users.

The changes are largely internal between 2020 and 2021, consisting of massive chip jump, a considerably better display in the 12.9-inch model, and Thunderbolt connectivity.

Those users of one-year-old models probably won't necessarily need to move up, unless they absolutely need to.

If those users don't rely on connecting their iPad Pro to external devices like a monitor or other hardware, they won't feel the need to change. Performance could be an issue, but in a very small number of cases where it's warranted, especially since the A12Z is still respectably fast.

The display of the 12.9-inch could be a bigger deal for upgraders wanting to improve what they're looking at, but it's a bit of a hefty price to jump over to it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    kkapoorkkapoor Posts: 25member
    Seems like there is no need to upgrade from a 2018 11" until 11" gets the new display.
    williamlondonright_said_fredwatto_cobratht
  • Reply 2 of 24
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Why is this thing not dual boot macOS and iPadOS?

In particular, a 12” iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard is, in every sense, the superior hardware when compared to a MacBook Air, yet it’s forced to run the crippled iPadOS!

The kernel is the same between macOS and iPadOS, Catalyst is present to run i(Pad)OS apps under macOS, and the OS could restrict apps to Catalyst when used without MagicKeyboard to optimize for touch Ui.

But why can we not (at least optionally) run macOS on an iPad Pro wit MagicKeyboard?

THAT is what I’m waiting for! A Mac with the ability to use pen/finger to interact where needed. For the most part, I use my current iPad Pro with keyboard and touchpad, with the occasional screen/pen interaction 
    drsternlightwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamMplsPGeorgeBMacraybo
  • Reply 3 of 24
    kfury77kfury77 Posts: 47member
    I think RAM should be mentioned in the comparisons. Latest base model has 8GB, up from 6GB in the previous version and 4GB from version before that. 
    harry wildBeatstechconcwatto_cobraraybothtapplecored
  • Reply 4 of 24
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I don’t _need_ it, but the better display, LiDAR, better performance and Thunderbolt are all good incentives, so I probably will upgrade from the 2018 version. I’d like to see them in the store first.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    rcfa said:

In particular, a 12” iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard is, in every sense, the superior hardware when compared to a MacBook Air, yet it’s forced to run the crippled iPadOS!

The kernel is the same between macOS and iPadOS, Catalyst is present to run i(Pad)OS apps under macOS, and the OS could restrict apps to Catalyst when used without MagicKeyboard to optimize for touch Ui.

But why can we not (at least optionally) run macOS on an iPad Pro wit MagicKeyboard?

THAT is what I’m waiting for! A Mac with the ability to use pen/finger to interact where needed. For the most part, I use my current iPad Pro with keyboard and touchpad, with the occasional screen/pen interaction 
    I would settle for uncrippling ipadOS.
    williamlondonBeatstenthousandthingsMplsPGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 24
    rcfa said:

Its an interesting idea.  As macOS now runs on M1, I guess there is no major reason why they couldn't do it.

My guess is that they think it may cannibalize sales of Mac hardware
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I do not need this iPad Pro but oh boy do I want it. the iPad Air 4 is enough for my use case at the moment. 

2021 iPad Pro with the M1 is a brilliant move in terms of product positioning as personally I always felt that the iPad Pro value prop was limping along a bit since the soc tended to be an interaction of the iPhone soc. Now it is more positioned with heavy workloads and helps Apple to build further efficiencies of scale for the M1 chip.

I wonder if there would be a future option to run Rosetta 2 on the iPad and if having a magic keyboard and trackpad connected then to flip into a macOS emulation mode similar to how iOS apps can run under macOS. The M1 certainly provides the infrastructure to enable all sorts of convergence use cases in the future.
    watto_cobradewme
  • Reply 8 of 24
    One thing you left out of this article is that while the price difference between the 2020 and 2021 at the 128/256/512 config is $100, that rises to $300 at the 1TB config.  I realize there is more ram 16GB vs. 8GB in the 1 TB vs. the smaller storage configs, but does this kind of RAM really cost $200 to double?  How much of a performance increase does the 1TB have over the 512GB model?  Is the 16GB necessary for the extra storage space for caching or something?  

I was seriously considering the 1TB model until I saw the price discrepancy. Now I want to know what I'm getting for that extra $200, the cheapskate that I am. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I’m looking forward to seeing the Geekbench scores for the new models. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    DAalseth said:
    I’m looking forward to seeing the Geekbench scores for the new models. 
    Are you really expecting something substantially different from something like a MacBook Air?
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 24
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    I do not need this iPad Pro but oh boy do I want it. the iPad Air 4 is enough for my use case at the moment. 

2021 iPad Pro with the M1 is a brilliant move in terms of product positioning as personally I always felt that the iPad Pro value prop was limping along a bit since the soc tended to be an interaction of the iPhone soc. Now it is more positioned with heavy workloads and helps Apple to build further efficiencies of scale for the M1 chip.

I wonder if there would be a future option to run Rosetta 2 on the iPad and if having a magic keyboard and trackpad connected then to flip into a macOS emulation mode similar to how iOS apps can run under macOS. The M1 certainly provides the infrastructure to enable all sorts of convergence use cases in the future.
    With the iPad Pro now having the M1 and still starting at $999 (for the 11"), I wouldn't recommend the iPad Air ($599). For an extra $200 you get so much more (ProMotion, FaceID, Center Stage, 8GB / 16GB RAM, double performance, quad speakers, better mics)  and it's worth it even if only for the future proofing. In addition to that the iPad 9 is rumored to get the A13, 4GB RAM, laminated screen, 10.5" screen. To me, the iPad Air is stuck between a rock and a hard place.   If someone is asking my recommendation, I'd say get the entry-level iPad if interested in only basic tasks otherwise fork over the extra $200 for the 11" iPad Pro.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonGeorgeBMacdewme
  • Reply 12 of 24
    DibiaseDibiase Posts: 11member

With the iPad Pro now having the M1 and still starting at $999 (for the 11"), I wouldn't recommend the iPad Air ($599). For an extra $200 you get so much more (ProMotion, FaceID, Center Stage, 8GB / 16GB RAM, double performance, quad speakers, better mics)  and it's worth it even if only for the future proofing. In addition to that the iPad 9 is rumored to get the A13, 4GB RAM, laminated screen, 10.5" screen. To me, the iPad Air is stuck between a rock and a hard place.   If someone is asking my recommendation, I'd say get the entry-level iPad if interested in only basic tasks otherwise fork over the extra $200 for the 11" iPad Pro.
    Am I missing something here?  $599 to $999 is another $400 not an extra $200.  
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 24
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    I have been a huge believer in the smaller iPad Pro due to portability, but with the M1, I am now considering the bigger iPad Pro if I decide to upgrade. I just bought an M1 Mac Mini and that thing flies even with multiple applications open. It is so powerful, I much prefer it to trying to edit in FCP on my MBA 2018. I am wondering if the M1 will bring similar performance to the iPad Pro. Also a large part of the consideration will be if iOS does a better job of windowing multiple apps. Split view and Slide over are ok for short term things, but I would like to see the implementation of different sized windows. PnP is a big deal for me though and the extra space on the 12.9 would allow me to keep an open video feed running while I work. I can see vid conferencing and possibly even video editing / recording (a Filmic window of my iPhone recording) making PnP even more useful. Also hoping that the TB4 port will open up FCP for the iPad and even with a lower feature set, being able to move projects off the desktop and do some rudimentary video editing on the iPad Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    entropys said:
    rcfa said:

Yes! I have a 2nd gen iPad pro that I originally got as a MBA replacement. I quickly gave up on it - iPad OS was and is still too crippled to really serve as a full desktop/laptop replacement. Workflows are frustrating and more cumbersome and file ‘management’ is horrible. The other day I was trying to create a contact group in the address book and you still can’t do it on iPadOS. Now with that macs have switched over to ARM and the M1 there’s no technical reason we can’t have a iPad Pro working like a real computer. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 24
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Dibiase said:

Am I missing something here?  $599 to $999 is another $400 not an extra $200.  
    My mistake.  Should have been $599 to $799 (starting price of 11" M1 iPad Pro).
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 24
    dpkrohdpkroh Posts: 34member
    sloth77 said:
    rcfa said:

Its an interesting idea.  As macOS now runs on M1, I guess there is no major reason why they couldn't do it.

I believe this question of cannibalization was once put to Steve Jobs or perhaps Joni Ives. Their reply was if we don't cannibalize our own products somebody else will.

I owned the 2018 12.9 inch iPad Pro. That size is too big to be handheld. And if it's not going to be handled then what's the point of having a tablet.  I switched to the 2018 inch iPad Pro and have been happy with that ever since.   If the 2021 11 inch iPad Pro had feature parity with the 2021 12.9 inch I might consider an upgrade, but the 11 inch. Meh.

I strongly agree with dual boot as there are scenarios in which an iPad is advantageous and other scenarios in which a MacBook is advantageous.  Right now to have the best of both worlds you have to carry two devices.

I see no defensible excuse for Apple not to do this. If they are worried about revenue the base 12.9 inch iPad Pro already costs as much as a base MacBook Air.  Apple could sell a lot more of their obscenely expensive iPad magic keyboards if the Magic keyboard would unlock dual boot MacOS  functionality for the iPad.

I can see compromising and getting the larger 12.9 inch iPad if it would also dual boot to macOS.  And if Apple offered dual boot functionality on the 11 inch iPad Pro it would be a great alternative to the 12 inch MacBook they used to sell.

In fact there were no longer be any excuse for requiring dual boot. Simply allow any regular iPadOS app to run on an M1 macOS iPad, as the M1 Macs can now do.  Dual boot in such a product should be optional not mandatory.
    edited April 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraGeorgeBMacdewme
  • Reply 17 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    rcfa said:

Yes, it definitely needs a dual boot MacOS and iPadOS!
    PLUS, let that $350 keyboard / case act as a hub by adding commonly used ports.

Or is Apple trying to protect a rather vulnerable MacBook line by restricting the functionality of their iPad line?  If so, that's a dead end. 

The question, I think, is will this current device be upgradeable in the future to that kind of configuration?  Or, will the buyers of this device be expected to fork over another $1,500?

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 24
    entropys said:
    rcfa said:

I like my cake WITH ice cream.

Why can't we have BOTH an upgraded iPadOS (and Mac level Safari) AND a dual boot (Bootcamp) option to boot MacOS when needed ?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 24

I think the difference is in functionality.  The base iPad serves well for the basic tablet type functions.   The iPad Pro can also perform high end video/photo editing.  But, most importantly, it now has the potential to serve as a full laptop replacement (although Apple has not yet exploited that potential).
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 24
    dpkroh said:
    sloth77 said:
    rcfa said:

I believe this question of cannibalization was once put to Steve Jobs or perhaps Joni Ives. Their reply was if we don't cannibalize our own products somebody else will.

I owned the 2018 12.9 inch iPad Pro. That size is too big to be handheld. And if it's not going to be handled then what's the point of having a tablet.  I switched to the 2018 inch iPad Pro and have been happy with that ever since.   If the 2021 11 inch iPad Pro had feature parity with the 2021 12.9 inch I might consider an upgrade, but the 11 inch. Meh.

I strongly agree with dual boot as there are scenarios in which an iPad is advantageous and other scenarios in which a MacBook is advantageous.  Right now to have the best of both worlds you have to carry two devices.

I see no defensible excuse for Apple not to do this. If they are worried about revenue the base 12.9 inch iPad Pro already costs as much as a base MacBook Air.  Apple could sell a lot more of their obscenely expensive iPad magic keyboards if the Magic keyboard would unlock dual boot MacOS  functionality for the iPad.

I can see compromising and getting the larger 12.9 inch iPad if it would also dual boot to macOS.  And if Apple offered dual boot functionality on the 11 inch iPad Pro it would be a great alternative to the 12 inch MacBook they used to sell.

In fact there were no longer be any excuse for requiring dual boot. Simply allow any regular iPadOS app to run on an M1 macOS iPad, as the M1 Macs can now do.  Dual boot in such a product should be optional not mandatory.

I like the idea of the Magic Keyboard 'unlocking' MacOS in a dual boot (Bootcamp?) configuration.

But, an option would be for Apple to supplement the Magic Keyboard (that doubles as a travel case) with a desktop stand/hub that provides power, multiple ports (Thunderbolt, USB-A, SD, HDMI, etc...) and possibly even an external GPU.  Running MacOS that would be an awesome configuration -- and when you need it, simply pop it off the stand and use it stand alone or with its MagicKeyboard / case.

Apple has opened lots of doors here.   Which one will they take?
    muthuk_vanalingam