Stolen Quanta documents show MacBook Pro with SD card slot, MagSafe

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    pretty bad ransom attempt. Do they have much else? If not this is like a kidnapping event where the kidnappers release the hostage but kept his shoes for leverage.

• Reply 42 of 64
    Maybe it was for a Windows PC?
  • Reply 43 of 64
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    lkrupp said:
    Way to assist criminals, Appleinsider. 
    Well, there’s no reason for Apple tp pay any ransom now. AppleInsider is releasing the stolen documents themselves without asking for a ransom.
    I'm sure these are just a taste of what documents could be released if Apple doesn't pay the ransom. There might be others, and will show the design direction from Apple, for other computer makers to see. Will be interesting to see if Apple pays the ransom, but that might not even be public info, whether they do or not.
    That being said, can't Apple come for AI for publishing these?
  • Reply 44 of 64
    netrox said:
    Why is HDMI even necessary if there are Thunderbolt to HDMI cables? Seriously, that is so backward. 

USB4/TB3 is the port to rule all. I understand the inclusion of SDHC slot tho.
    doggone said:
    MagSafe is good but for me being able to plug in power on either side is a great feature.  If Apple add MagSafe back then please still allow charging via USB-C.  

SD cards may be a useful addition espeicalling if your SSD is on the small size.  You can now get a 1GB SD card for $30.  No idea on the quality, longevity or speed.
    maybe you'll still be able to plug in USB-C power on either side.
    Peza
  • Reply 45 of 64
    netrox said:
    Why is HDMI even necessary if there are Thunderbolt to HDMI cables? Seriously, that is so backward. 

USB4/TB3 is the port to rule all. I understand the inclusion of SDHC slot tho.
    Thankfully, you'll still be able to use your dongle, to covert from USB-C/TB to HDMI, and I hope you'll have a blast doing that. Some of us will just use the HDMI port directly.
    MplsPPeza
  • Reply 46 of 64
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    This is a judgement call, for sure, and I can appreciate the opposite POV on this issue but, overall, I wish the media--especially Apple-focused media like AI--wouldn't aid hackers by publishing stolen documents. Commenters here, who seem tho think that publishing this document negates its value as a "hostage" item, are missing the point: there's a lot more the hackers stole that has yet to be made public. The widespread dissemination of this MacBook document shows what will happen to everything they have if the ransom isn't paid. They'll publish on the dark web, and then let the mainstream press do their dirty work from there. Don't want that to happen, Apple? Fine, pay us $50 million. 
  • Reply 47 of 64
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I hope Apple and Quanta can resist dealing with these criminals. Better still, I hope the Russians can track them down and deal with them appropriately.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    "An SD slot is pointless unless you use a camera with one; most people use their phones to take photographs. Many cameras have wireless connectivity anyway."

So much to unpack here. First most photographers will use a laptop if they need a computer and therefore an SD slot is ideal; Most cameras - high end and low - use SD cards; Most photographers do not use their phones as their primary camera. Period.

Wireless connectivity on cameras is almost certainly too slow, when the raw files might be 55-65 MB. One of my last shoots - in Budapest, Hungary - I shot some 1,300 raw images. Wireless connectivity can't handle that. 

Finally, photographers are a considerable segment of the Mac-buying public and a segment that tends to buy higher-end Mac options.

Thanks.
    muthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    Finally, photographers are a considerable segment of the Mac-buying public and a segment that tends to buy higher-end Mac options.

Photographers are not a considerable segment of any market except for the market for cameras. There are probably a thousand times as many people buying laptops for development work than photographers.

Thankfully, you'll still be able to use your dongle, to covert from USB-C/TB to HDMI, and I hope you'll have a blast doing that. Some of us will just use the HDMI port directly.

so we used to have four ports that could do anything (including video), now we have three ports that can do anything, and one that can only do video. Spectacular.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    mazda 3s said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    WTH said:
    If authentic, these documents show something very important - a return to function over form in the MacBook line.
    Sort of. Three IO ports instead of four sounds less functional to me.
    Uhhh, three Thunderbolt, HDMI, SD and a dedicated power plug. How the hell is that LESS functional? 
    Yep, here is hoping that this is right and they are Making Apple Great Again.
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 51 of 64
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    mazda 3s said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    WTH said:
    If authentic, these documents show something very important - a return to function over form in the MacBook line.
    Uhhh, three Thunderbolt, HDMI, SD and a dedicated power plug. How the hell is that LESS functional? 
    Right now there are 4 USB-C/TB ports so regardless of anything else, that's less functionality. Making claims about how many other things it may come with while ignoring that fact doesn't change the facts.

You may never need 4 USB-C/TB ports, but others might. Hell, I can think of a lot of ways in which having more of those ports to allow me to have even more of (and even more options and other combinations of) the ports you mentioned are benefited from USB-C/TB.

I think Apple will revert to their old system because they are a consumer-driven company so adding a bunch of dedicated, single-use ports does help sell their products to the masses, so your wish is likely going to be granted.
  • Reply 52 of 64

Eric_WVGG said:
    > Finally, photographers are a considerable segment of the Mac-buying public and a segment that tends to buy higher-end Mac options.

Photographers are not a considerable segment of any market except for the market for cameras. There are probably a thousand times as many people buying laptops for development work than photographers.

> Thankfully, you'll still be able to use your dongle, to covert from USB-C/TB to HDMI, and I hope you'll have a blast doing that. Some of us will just use the HDMI port directly.

so we used to have four ports that could do anything (including video), now we have three ports that can do anything, and one that can only do video. Spectacular.
    What Specifically are those all 4 things that you need to do that aren’t Power, SD card, or using an external monitor.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Did AI consult their legal council before posting these pictures? You don’t want to go down the same road as Diaz and Chen. 
    According to case law, as long as the publisher (AI in this case) didn't break any laws themselves to obtain the documents, they are free from prosecution for publishing illegally obtained documents.  Not everything that is unethical is illegal.
    That’s up to a judge to decide. Apple could say that AI contributed to exposing confidential information that has caused Apple harm. Trade secrets and all that crap. It’s just a headache nobody wants to go thru since Apple has the cash to burn in suing someone. 

At the very least AI could end up getting the cold shoulder once this pandemic is over and we have Apple announcements that have an audience. They could end up on the “do not admit” list. 
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Peza said:
    Am embarrassing and sensible U turn. I predict they will do the same with the iPhone if the try to remove all its ports too. 
    Customers won, telling Apple tested my how stupid their laptop ports were. Utterly impractical and driving people towards the competition which has ports built in.

Anyway a welcome comeback, and for Mag Safe at last, although that was hinted at with the new iMac anyway.
    Interesting how Apple seems to be going up in screen size on all its computers.
    Yes and the lack of a Touchbar is a sign that a TouchScreen Macs with SuperOS is on the way (3 - 5 years).

But at the same time didnt the new IMacs just get rid of legacy ports for only Thunderbolt/USB 4.
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Did AI consult their legal council before posting these pictures? You don’t want to go down the same road as Diaz and Chen. 
    According to case law, as long as the publisher (AI in this case) didn't break any laws themselves to obtain the documents, they are free from prosecution for publishing illegally obtained documents.  Not everything that is unethical is illegal.
    That’s up to a judge to decide. Apple could say that AI contributed to exposing confidential information that has caused Apple harm. Trade secrets and all that crap. It’s just a headache nobody wants to go thru since Apple has the cash to burn in suing someone. 

At the very least AI could end up getting the cold shoulder once this pandemic is over and we have Apple announcements that have an audience. They could end up on the “do not admit” list. 
    Apple Legal always comes up short.  AI has nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Xed said:
    mazda 3s said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    WTH said:
    Right now there are 4 USB-C/TB ports so regardless of anything else, that's less functionality. Making claims about how many other things it may come with while ignoring that fact doesn't change the facts.

You may never need 4 USB-C/TB ports, but others might. Hell, I can think of a lot of ways in which having more of those ports to allow me to have even more of (and even more options and other combinations of) the ports you mentioned are benefited from USB-C/TB.

I think Apple will revert to their old system because they are a consumer-driven company so adding a bunch of dedicated, single-use ports does help sell their products to the masses, so your wish is likely going to be granted.
    I understand what you’re saying but I think you’re missing my point. When is anyone ever using every single Thunderbolt port without at least one being a power connection? If you’ve got all ports loaded up, you’re likely plugged into the wall. Who goes around unplugged with four different accessories hanging off their Mac?

So what difference does it make if there are only three TB ports + MagSafe power or four TB ports with one being dedicated for the power brick?

With that being said, in all my travels with folks using 2016+ MacBook Pros (4-port models), I’ve never seen anyone with every single port loaded up at once, unplugged from the wall. 

At most, I see one or two loaded up including a USB-C hub or Thunderbolt dock. 

• Reply 57 of 64
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    mazda 3s said:
    Xed said:
    mazda 3s said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    WTH said:

I understand what you’re saying but I think you’re missing my point. When is anyone ever using every single Thunderbolt port without at least one being a power connection? If you’ve got all ports loaded up, you’re likely plugged into the wall. Who goes around unplugged with four different accessories hanging off their Mac?

So what difference does it make if there are only three TB ports + MagSafe power or four TB ports with one being dedicated for the power brick?

With that being said, in all my travels with folks using 2016+ MacBook Pros (4-port models), I’ve never seen anyone with every single port loaded up at once, unplugged from the wall. 

At most, I see one or two loaded up including a USB-C hub or Thunderbolt dock. 
    Sure, but I was focusing on the use of less functional v more functional, not what is more ideal for the consumer. Personally, I'd kinda like to see MagSafe return, but there are some caveats to that, because I hope it's really just pushing and pulling power from a USB-C port that is modified on the MBP as a dedicated MagSafe port, because I really like being able to plug in my Mac from either side; and while there are times where having the more easily removed MagSafe cable would be a benefit to keep my MBP from hitting the floor I'd also like the ability to use USB-C for charging where the cable may not want to stay connected but is out of the way as a tripping hazard.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    urashid said:
    These drawings don't look legit to me.  The key openings around the space bar do not show the inverted-T for the arrow keys:

I highly doubt that Apple will revert back to the two full-size, two half-size arrow keys so soon after reverting back to the inverted-T layout.

Did you see their latest iMac keyboard just announced with the M1 iMac? It has the idiotic arrow keys. 
  • Reply 59 of 64
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    k2kw said:
    charlesn said:
    This is a judgement call, for sure, and I can appreciate the opposite POV on this issue but, overall, I wish the media--especially Apple-focused media like AI--wouldn't aid hackers by publishing stolen documents. Commenters here, who seem tho think that publishing this document negates its value as a "hostage" item, are missing the point: there's a lot more the hackers stole that has yet to be made public. The widespread dissemination of this MacBook document shows what will happen to everything they have if the ransom isn't paid. They'll publish on the dark web, and then let the mainstream press do their dirty work from there. Don't want that to happen, Apple? Fine, pay us $50 million. 
    Tim Cook should just call up Chairman Xi and ask him to hunt down these hackers and have them painfully killed.   
    What is wrong with you? A death sentence is absolutely NOT a proportionate response for industrial espionage.
    muthuk_vanalingammazda 3s
  • Reply 60 of 64
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    k2kw said:
    Peza said:
    Am embarrassing and sensible U turn. I predict they will do the same with the iPhone if the try to remove all its ports too. 
    Customers won, telling Apple tested my how stupid their laptop ports were. Utterly impractical and driving people towards the competition which has ports built in.

Anyway a welcome comeback, and for Mag Safe at last, although that was hinted at with the new iMac anyway.
    Interesting how Apple seems to be going up in screen size on all its computers.
    Yes and the lack of a Touchbar is a sign that a TouchScreen Macs with SuperOS is on the way (3 - 5 years).

But at the same time didnt the new IMacs just get rid of legacy ports for only Thunderbolt/USB 4.
    Yes, however with those ports in the back they weren't easy to use, most people it seemed bought docks instead. You do get 4 USB C with 2 being Thunderbolt, plus an Ethernet port, in the mid and higher models. But they are iMacs and nor 'Pro' machines.
    Who knows though what Apple will do, I mean it's now given the iPad Pro a stupid waste of power as it's hamstrung by iOS. So will they make a touchscreen Mac computer? Or is the iPad Pro truly it? I do hope they release a touchscreen Mac. It's a feature people seem to love in the Surface products. The Surface Studio was fantastic when it launched as it knew what it was and was novel. I don't know why Apples not made a competitor to it, or are they really only about video editing and music production these days?