Apple's Lisa Jackson says a green economy is better for the planet and business

Posted:
in General Discussion
Lisa Jackson, Apple's VP of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives, says that switching to a greener economy could be better for the planet and for businesses' pocketbooks.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The Apple VP recently spoke to The Washington Post about some of the company's environment and social initiatives, including Apple's plan to go carbon-neutral across its entire business by 2030.

As Jackson says in the interview, Apple is already a carbon-neutral company. But to achieve its 2030 goal, it needs to also get to carbon neutrality across both its supply chain and its products.

Jackson says that "means making sure that every product that we make is made in a way that adds no carbon to the atmosphere, and the use of our products. That means when you charge it, we want to put clean energy on the grid so that the use of our products is also neutral as well."

She touted some of Apple's continuing work in the area, including the business-oriented Restore Fund, which she calls a "innovative" solution toward investing in a greener economy.

"We hear all this talk about how the economy needs to switch to a green economy. This is one way. We're not asking folks to do it out of the goodness of their heart. We're asking them to do it out of the goodness of their pocketbook as well," Jackson said.

The Apple executive also touched on the company's Racial Equity and Justice Initiative, and specifically, how it relates to addressing climate change. She says a large part of addressing climate change is ensuring that racial equity is included in the plan.

"For too long, climate change was seen as something that happened to be, but other people were part of the solution, and I think for us to really look at the opportunities inherent in this transformation, all Americans have to feel part of the solution and part of the prosperity that can come with addressing climate change head on and in a business-smart manner," Jackson said.

When asked about whether or not she believes the United States is moving toward a brighter future, despite the current state of the country, Jackson remained upbeat.

"I definitely think we're in a time of transition, and I think the ability of the American sort of psyche, people writ large, to adapt and change and innovate is part of what makes us American, part of why I love Apple, this incredibly innovative company full of folks who see different futures," she said. "Yes, I absolutely have hope."

Jackson was also recently elected a member of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences. Specifically, she was elected in the Leadership, Policy, and Communications class as one of eight members in the Public Affairs and Public Policy section.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    I wonder how Apple employees might lead by example ?
    www.footprintcalculator.org
    www3.epa.gov/carbon-footprint-calculator
    edited April 2021 elijahgAlex_V
  • Reply 2 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    The fuck are you talking about?
    williamlondonpulseimagestoddzrx
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I went out since it’s Earth day and ran through a tankful of gas in our V-10 gas powered F-350. It was a great feeling to be able to do that just because I wanted too. Maybe if I was lucky I got 330 miles out of that but hey it beats sitting around doing nothing.  
    williamlondoncrazybearlegstoddzrxAlex_V
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I went out since it’s Earth day and ran through a tankful of gas in our V-10 gas powered F-350. It was a great feeling to be able to do that just because I wanted too. Maybe if I was lucky I got 330 miles out of that but hey it beats sitting around doing nothing.  
    Cool story bro. Your options were to sit around and do nothing or cit in a vehicle for 330 while doing nothing? Congratulations, your life is even more boring than your post. 
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 5 of 13
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    it has been shown that cites that enacted a carbon tax did better than those that scrapped it.
    Alex_Vtmay
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 215member
    Whether your story is true or not it demonstrates how American conservative males view environmentalism as an affront to their masculinity. In your story, you got great pleasure in driving your (real or imaginary) sleek car with its long hood (a symbol of your status and virility) in stubborn defiance of your mother earth / mother nature! 🤣
    johnb0529boboliciouswilliamlondonpulseimageskiltedgreenelijahgtmay
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Alex_V said:
    Whether your story is true or not it demonstrates how American conservative males view environmentalism as an affront to their masculinity. In your story, you got great pleasure in driving your (real or imaginary) sleek car with its long hood (a symbol of your status and virility) in stubborn defiance of your mother earth / mother nature! 🤣
    There are innumerable recent essays on this ('masculinity') with branding adjectives illustrated using the recent change in American governance...
    williamlondonAlex_Vtmay
  • Reply 8 of 13

The *^#! are you talking about?
    Might such a score (individual + corporate) become appropriate credibility measures in social capitalism alongside executive compensation and financial performance...?
    edited April 2021 Alex_Velijahg
  • Reply 9 of 13
    How mature, were you given a lollypop when you returned, or did you then grab your gun and go shoot sumpin' to keep the rise in your trousers?
    Alex_Vpulseimageskiltedgreenelijahgtmayrevenant
  • Reply 10 of 13
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    I just saw last night, the latest AppleTV+ documentary “The year earth changed” and it really puts it in perspective how much human activity interferes with everything. 

As for Mr. “my F350 is an extension of you know my what..... “, he just went on my ignore list. 
    Alex_Vpulseimageselijahgtmay
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I'm with you! Go see the world instead of being locked in some dungeon with a computer screen.

Apple is so eco conscious by creating a computer that is totally self contained and can't be upgraded or repaired except by being totally replaced thus reducing it's lifespan and adding to the e-waste or shortening the time between recycles... and calling that eco-concienrness.
    williamlondontoddzrx
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I'm with you! Go see the world instead of being locked in some dungeon with a computer screen.

Apple is so eco conscious by creating a computer that is totally self contained and can't be upgraded or repaired except by being totally replaced thus reducing it's lifespan and adding to the e-waste or shortening the time between recycles... and calling that eco-concienrness.
    First post and, ahem, you took a wrong turn on your way to the asylum, it's labelled "MacRumors" - it's well labelled and filled with nutty freaks who'll welcome you into the fold.
    tmay
  • Reply 13 of 13
    “A green economy is better for planet and business”

well, without something like a “green economy” there won’t be any business, so yes. The life-supporting processes of Earth were there first, and if they go, then ...
    tmay