Apple releases new video detailing App Tracking Transparency

Posted:
in iOS
App Tracking Transparency is here with iOS 14.5 and Apple has detailed the feature in a new privacy ad spot.

Apps must ask users for permission to track starting with iOS 14.5
Apps must ask users for permission to track starting with iOS 14.5

The "Privacy. That's iPhone." ad series has covered multiple aspects of iPhone data control like Face ID and Safari Tracking Protection. Monday's ad explains the latest user privacy protection called App Tracking Transparency.

The feature, which some companies have rallied against, was delayed to give developers and advertisers time to prepare. Now, Apple expects any app submitted for review to support App Tracking Transparency.

The popup for App Tracking Transparency will give users two options -- allow tracking or don't. Companies must make their case in this popup to convince users to opt into tracking, otherwise there will be no other methods allowed.

The dialog will only show up after the app has been updated for iOS 14.5 and should appear when first launching the app. Users who never want to be asked can toggle App Tracking off in Settings. If toggled off, all apps that would prompt the user will no longer show a dialog and default to "do not track."

To disable the App Tracking Transparency dialogs, users can go to Settings > Privacy > Tracking and toggle the "Allow Apps to Request to Track" to off.

Users can update to iOS 14.5 by manually updating via the Settings app or automatically overnight. Other features of iOS 14.5 include new emoji, iPhone unlock via Apple Watch when wearing a mask, and new Shortcuts options.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I thought this was an excellent commercial. I hope to see them plaster it everywhere so that those who bought into the Facebook lies will begin to understand. Also, I think this single commercial will do more to influence any potential Android switchers than the other iPhone 12 ones did. 
    edited April 2021 mac_dogbaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Updated iPhone 8 to iOS 14.5. Went to Settings->Privacy->Tracking and turned on ‘Allow Apps to Request to Track’. Launched Facebook app... nothing, no request to track. Launched the Amazon app... no request to track. Launched the YouTube app... no request to track.

I guess I don’t understand the feature.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Japhey said:
    I thought this was an excellent commercial. I hope to see them plaster it everywhere so that those who bought into the Facebook lies will begin to understand. Also, I think this single commercial will do more to influence any potential Android switchers than the other iPhone 12 ones did. 
    I suspect most users don’t care. When asked they say yes, they want privacy. In practice they don’t care.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I don’t understand which choice to make in privacy to protect my data from advertisers. Can someone tell me which choice is the private one please?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    lkrupp said:
    Updated iPhone 8 to iOS 14.5. Went to Settings->Privacy->Tracking and turned on ‘Allow Apps to Request to Track’. Launched Facebook app... nothing, no request to track. Launched the Amazon app... no request to track. Launched the YouTube app... no request to track.

I guess I don’t understand the feature.
    Same here.  Turned on option, yet to find an app that asks my permission to track, including IG and Amazon and Chrome.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I don’t understand which choice to make in privacy to protect my data from advertisers. Can someone tell me which choice is the private one please?
    With the option in Privacy/Tracking turned OFF, no apps will be allowed to track you and won't ask.
    With the option turned on, apps that track you will ask your permission.

That's how it's supposed to work, yet I haven't found an app that has asked me yet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    'a simple new feature that puts your data back in your control'... and so how long has this been known...?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    You’re not seeing apps notify you - even if you have tracking enabled - because most apps have not yet been updated specifically for iOS 14.5. Each app must include it when it reaches that milestone in its development and release cycle. 

EDIT: typo; To clarify - when an app releases a version “compatible with iOS 14.5 and later”, it must adhere to the app tracking program moving forward. 
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Did Apple set a deadline by which all apps must be compatible with IOS 14.5?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    bluefire1 said:
    Did Apple set a deadline by which all apps must be compatible with IOS 14.5?
    The next iteration of the app a developer submits to Apple for release in App Store must adopt this beginning now; otherwise, it will be rejected. You’ll see popular apps immediately releasing updates in coming hours/days. 
    bluefire1chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    With the option in Privacy/Tracking turned OFF, no apps will be allowed to track you and won't ask.

That's how it's supposed to work, yet I haven't found an app that has asked me yet.
    UPDATE: If you want apps to ask your permission to track, turn “Allow Apps to Request to Track” ON, not off.

NEW app installs or future updates will ask you if they can track, and you can say no if you want. CURRENT tracking status of apps is as it was before 14.5.

(Edited to remove incorrect information)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    chasm said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

UPDATE: If you want apps to ask your permission to track, turn “Allow Apps to Request to Track” ON, not off.

NEW app installs or future updates will ask you if they can track, and you can say no if you want. CURRENT tracking status of apps is as it was before 14.5.

(Edited to remove incorrect information)
    And if you want the apps not to track AND not to ask turn 'Allow Apps to Request to Track' OFF.
    (Of course it works only if the app is compliant with the new App Store policy on privacy).