ElevationLab 'TagVault' keeps your AirTag hidden in plain sight

Posted:
in General Discussion
ElevationLab will soon ship the the "TagVault," a rugged, waterproof holder designed to keep your AirTag safe.

The TagVault is a two-piece AirTag holder that screws together with stainless Tox hardware, offering complete protection from bumps, scratches, and normal wear and tear. This makes it an attractive option for attaching to objects like keys and luggage.

Securing an AirTag inside will up the water-resistance of the AirTag to being completely waterproof. Should you drop your keys in a stream while hiking, for instance, it could offer more protection than a bare AirTag.

TagVault is designed to be nondescript, giving no indication that it holds an AirTag inside. This may dissuade someone from removing it and disposing of it. The manufacturer suggests clipping them on backpacks, luggage, purses, and more.

The TagVault is now available for preorder, priced at $12.95 for a single TagVault, or $29.95 for a set of three. ElevationLab will be shipping orders in June.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I can see someone complaining that they cannot find their keys because the keys are at the bottom of a lake. You cannot get the radio waves to go through the water.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I can see someone complaining that they cannot find their keys because the keys are at the bottom of a lake. You cannot get the radio waves to go through the water.
    Well not the ones that Apple is using right now, but if they started using a form of sonar like animals use, then maybe. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Well not the ones that Apple is using right now, but if they started using a form of sonar like animals use, then maybe. 
    How are you going to fit sonar of any type in a tag? The small size of tags limits you to higher frequencies. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    You mean I don’t have to take out a second mortgage and buy Apple’s cases? I love it!
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 5 of 11
    siretmansiretman Posts: 117member
    I only see key ring attachments. Where is the luggage attachment?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Lost, but especially stolen, luggage will get no benefit from a fancy exposed tag. First thing a thief will to is remove and toss it. Better to hide it in the zip out lining. I know from experience. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Lost, but especially stolen, luggage will get no benefit from a fancy exposed tag. First thing a thief will to is remove and toss it. Better to hide it in the zip out lining. I know from experience
    We just found our resident luggage thief…
    BeatsJanNLwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    bageljoey said:
    Lost, but especially stolen, luggage will get no benefit from a fancy exposed tag. First thing a thief will to is remove and toss it. Better to hide it in the zip out lining. I know from experience
    We just found our resident luggage thief…
    Arrest him:-))errrrr
  • Reply 9 of 11
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    Seems like this TagVault will certainly muffle the audible tone being emitted from thevAirTag.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    The concept is not crazy but the number of use cases that would benefit from this probably does not justify the expense and compromises, like requiring a larger battery, moisture sensor to activate the pinging, and much more stringent waterproofing. Black boxes used in aircraft have sonar pingers. Of course you’d need a listening device to fully take advantage of this capability, i.e., a way to determine direction of the source using beamforming to locate it in deep water.  

The output of the sound transducer in the current AirTag should be detectable in water. Sound travels faster and more efficiently in water than it does in air. I don’t have an AirTag but I imagine you could test it in your bathtub or aquarium as long as you don’t exceed the IP67 rating parameters. But without a way to tell the AirTag to start beeping it’s not going to be of much use, other than to entertain your guppies.
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    atomiqatomiq Posts: 1member
    Great product, great idea.
    I think it’s great it comes as a bundle, but it should come as a bundle of 4 since they sell the AirTags from apple as single or bundle of 4
    watto_cobra