Australian retailer pulls AirTag over battery safety concerns

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 39unconfirmed, member
    rob53 said:
    neilm said:
    According to iFixit’s recent teardown of the AirTag, the battery lid is quite difficult to remove. They state that even with clean, dry fingers it’s hard to get enough friction to turn and release it.
    And according to iFixit, the Tile and Samsung(?) trackers are very easy to open up. What about all those hearing aid button batteries lying around? Why is it always Apple that governments, especially Australia, going after? It's just the money and control.

What a peculiar thing to write. Consumer bodies, governments of different levels etc "go after"  every company that they consider is selling a product with safety issues. I guess if you only read Apple news sites you'd think what you think. Do you live in Australia?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    velociveloci Posts: 10member
    I am with officeworks and would be seeking advice from ACCC. I own one and it is very easy to open. 
    edited May 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    veloci said:
    I am with officeworks and would be seeking advice from ACCC. I own one and it is very easy to open. 
    iFixit says it’s hard to open. Who should I believe? You or one of Apple’s biggest critics? I believe iFixit. GeeAye said:
    rob53 said:
    neilm said:
    According to iFixit’s recent teardown of the AirTag, the battery lid is quite difficult to remove. They state that even with clean, dry fingers it’s hard to get enough friction to turn and release it.
    And according to iFixit, the Tile and Samsung(?) trackers are very easy to open up. What about all those hearing aid button batteries lying around? Why is it always Apple that governments, especially Australia, going after? It's just the money and control.

What a peculiar thing to write. Consumer bodies, governments of different levels etc "go after"  every company that they consider is selling a product with safety issues. I guess if you only read Apple news sites you'd think what you think. Do you live in Australia?
    Only Apple gets the general press coverage, period. Show us the Australian press releases about the danger of the Tile battery case being easy to open and a danger to children. Show us the Officeworks announcement they pulled the Tile until the ACCC investigated.

We’ll wait. 
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 24 of 25
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 39unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:
    veloci said:
    iFixit says it’s hard to open. Who should I believe? You or one of Apple’s biggest critics? I believe iFixit. GeeAye said:
    rob53 said:
    neilm said:

Only Apple gets the general press coverage, period. Show us the Australian press releases about the danger of the Tile battery case being easy to open and a danger to children. Show us the Officeworks announcement they pulled the Tile until the ACCC investigated.

We’ll wait. 

That is a very specific example you are demanding but if you'd like to find your way to the ACCC or the productsafety.gov.au web site let me know if you see any bias.

I was addressing the poorly phrased claim that "governments, especially Australia, going after", which is total unsupported bunkum. Show us where I mentioned officeworks?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    jagnutjagnut Posts: 24member
    acejax805 said:
    You can relate individual responsibility, accountability, and now intelligence based on how nanny a government is. Australia isn’t looking so good. 
    The whole Air Tag is actually not much bigger than the battery.   Yet nobody seems concerned about kids swallowing the whole thing.  On the other hand if they did then it would be easy to track the little buggers.  At least for around 24 hours till they go to the bathroom. 🤭
    watto_cobra