MacBook Air redesign will include iMac-like color options, leaker claims

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    thedba said:

Beats said:
    I was disappointed when I didn’t see a redesign debut for M1 MacBooks.

I’d like to also see cellular but I take it that won’t be ready until Apple finishes developing their own from the Intel acquisition.
    Due to how Qualcomm license their cellular I.P. I doubt we will have see MacBooks with cellular built in. If Apple was resistant to paying 5% of the price an iPhone to Qualcomm I doubt they would want to pay 5% of a product that has a higher ASP especially when the feature is in no way critical to the device itself. 
    Quite honestly someone will have to explain to me the logic in charging a percentage of the whole device for a piece of equipment. 
    Thought experiment:
    iPhone SE: $500 price tag therefore Qualcomm charges $25 for the modem.
    iPhone 12 Pro: $1000 price tag, therefore Qualcomm charges $50 for same modem?
    It’s not the modem that is the cost it’s the intellect property used to build the modem. This was the heart  of the legal battle between Qualcomm and Apple. And I’m with you on trying to understand the logic. 
  • Reply 22 of 34
    charlesn said:
    Apple faces an interesting and increasingly difficult challenge in convincing people to continue buying new desktops, laptops and tablets when the Apple products that the vast majority of people already own are WAY more than capable of handling their computing needs for many years to come. What's the point of 3X faster when you're already not waiting on your computer for anything? So I expect to see new form factors and colors of existing products being used increasingly to drive upgrade cycles in advance of actually "needing" to upgrade. While Apple has always existed at the crossroads of technology and fashion, I expect "fashion" to become a more important driver of sales than ever before.
    Unadulterated bullshit. Apparently you missed last quarter's earnings report in which Mac sales were up 70.1% and iPad was up 78.7%. There is no "increasingly difficult challenge" as you describe.

"What's the point of 3X faster" is laughable when even the very first reports of M1 Macs focused on how quick everything was, even for menial everyday tasks. Even more laughable when you consider a not insignificant chunk of the market actually is waiting on their computer to do things. Maybe you don't, but I sure as hell do working in video, animation, batch image processing, 3D, etc. 
    It seems like you are getting upset over something silly.  Apple seems to be more interested in fashion and less features with the M1 Macs.  They are more interested in colors than Macs that have useful features.  The quarter reports mean nothing since hardware sales have been up because of the pandemic and more people working from home.  Doesn't mean people are upgrading Macs.  If you really did video, animation, batch processing, 3D, you obviously are not buying an M1 base model Mac.  Because if you did any of that, you would be using a higher powered Intel Mac with dedicated graphics.  So you really would not be interested in any of these base model colorful Macs.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 34
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,413member
    charlesn said:
    Apple faces an interesting and increasingly difficult challenge in convincing people to continue buying new desktops, laptops and tablets when the Apple products that the vast majority of people already own are WAY more than capable of handling their computing needs for many years to come. What's the point of 3X faster when you're already not waiting on your computer for anything? So I expect to see new form factors and colors of existing products being used increasingly to drive upgrade cycles in advance of actually "needing" to upgrade. While Apple has always existed at the crossroads of technology and fashion, I expect "fashion" to become a more important driver of sales than ever before.
    Unadulterated bullshit. Apparently you missed last quarter's earnings report in which Mac sales were up 70.1% and iPad was up 78.7%. There is no "increasingly difficult challenge" as you describe.

"What's the point of 3X faster" is laughable when even the very first reports of M1 Macs focused on how quick everything was, even for menial everyday tasks. Even more laughable when you consider a not insignificant chunk of the market actually is waiting on their computer to do things. Maybe you don't, but I sure as hell do working in video, animation, batch image processing, 3D, etc. 
    Apple seems to be more interested in fashion and less features with the M1 Macs.  They are more interested in colors than Macs that have useful features...
    Oh ffs, not this OLD FUCKING CHESTNUT espoused by (mostly M$haft) trolls for eons, seriously, get a new argument it's absolutely pathetic!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    longfanglongfang Posts: 513member
    charlesn said:

It seems like you are getting upset over something silly.  Apple seems to be more interested in fashion and less features with the M1 Macs.  They are more interested in colors than Macs that have useful features.  The quarter reports mean nothing since hardware sales have been up because of the pandemic and more people working from home.  Doesn't mean people are upgrading Macs.  If you really did video, animation, batch processing, 3D, you obviously are not buying an M1 base model Mac.  Because if you did any of that, you would be using a higher powered Intel Mac with dedicated graphics.  So you really would not be interested in any of these base model colorful Macs.
    Speak for yourself. I’m very much interested in am orange or cherry red mac air. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 34
    garfolinogarfolino Posts: 4member
    Why pro users have to live with gray? Many of us are creative pro users and like colors too. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Since the new iMac no longer has the Apple Logo on it, will the new MacBooks no longer have them?
    The iMac still has the Apple logo on it. It's on the back just like MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.
    Oh I know it’s still on the back but will it be removed from the back since they’ve taken it off the front of the new iMac and gone all Pastel colors? Which by the way is heinous!
    Huh? Will they remove the logo from the back because the removed it from the front? No. How do I know that? Because they removed the logo from the front and don’t remove from the  back. 
    Well, you never know. It could happen. They’ve already gone with hideous colors for the iMacs and took the Apple logo off the front. Why not do the same on the new MacBooks? Why not remove all Apple logos from all products and go heinous pastels for the colors? 

Pastel colored AirPods, Pastel colored Apple Watches etc….
    Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, that is some lazyass trolling. Why take the time to create an account if you aren't going to put in the effort? Trolling aint easy and we have had some really good ones come through. We have high expectations when it comes to the quality of trolling here in the AI comments section. At this point you are embarrassing yourself to the extent that we all feel uncomfortable on your behalf. 
    Hahahahahahahahahaha
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 34
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    Since the new iMac no longer has the Apple Logo on it, will the new MacBooks no longer have them?
    The iMac still has the Apple logo on it. It's on the back just like MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.
    Oh I know it’s still on the back but will it be removed from the back since they’ve taken it off the front of the new iMac and gone all Pastel colors? Which by the way is heinous!
    Huh? Will they remove the logo from the back because the removed it from the front? No. How do I know that? Because they removed the logo from the front and don’t remove from the  back. 
    Well, you never know. It could happen. They’ve already gone with hideous colors for the iMacs and took the Apple logo off the front. Why not do the same on the new MacBooks? Why not remove all Apple logos from all products and go heinous pastels for the colors? 

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, that is some lazyass trolling. Why take the time to create an account if you aren't going to put in the effort? Trolling aint easy and we have had some really good ones come through. We have high expectations when it comes to the quality of trolling here in the AI comments section. At this point you are embarrassing yourself to the extent that we all feel uncomfortable on your behalf. 
    Lol, “trolling ain’t easy”. Gotta remember that one, thanks!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Maybe?  Who cares?
  • Reply 29 of 34
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    thedba said:

Beats said:
    I was disappointed when I didn’t see a redesign debut for M1 MacBooks.

I’d like to also see cellular but I take it that won’t be ready until Apple finishes developing their own from the Intel acquisition.
    Due to how Qualcomm license their cellular I.P. I doubt we will have see MacBooks with cellular built in. If Apple was resistant to paying 5% of the price an iPhone to Qualcomm I doubt they would want to pay 5% of a product that has a higher ASP especially when the feature is in no way critical to the device itself. 
    Quite honestly someone will have to explain to me the logic in charging a percentage of the whole device for a piece of equipment. 
    Thought experiment:
    iPhone SE: $500 price tag therefore Qualcomm charges $25 for the modem.
    iPhone 12 Pro: $1000 price tag, therefore Qualcomm charges $50 for same modem?
    This is the same way that Apple charges for Software in the APP store.   And if Apple didn't like it they could have stuck with intel modems for years more. two years ago everyone here was saying Apple didn't need 5G .   Looks like Apple was desperate and caved.   I'm looking forward to getting a new iphone (if it has TouchID under display).   The QualComm modem will be an welcome improvement over the crap Intel modem in my 8Plus.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 34
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,924member
    people like colors but seeing new iMAC dull colors. Appreciate Apple offers products in various shade colors but colors like iPhone space gray, white,Gold gives bit deep color feeling. I would not consider other colors unless come close to space gray, white,gold,
    edited May 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 34
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member
    charlesn said:

I didn’t say I was buying an M1 base model Mac, did I? I’m waiting for whatever replaces the 16” MBP, and I absolutely do that kind of work.  The rest of of this is nonsense; people are buying Macs and there’s no substance to the argument that Apple is “more interested in fashion”  than features, which is one of the oldest troll arguments ever. Seriously, been hearing that for decades now. 

These Macs will sell like hot cakes, get mad. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 34
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,448member
    Is the chin of the new iMacs glass with colour back?
    I do wonder how that lighter user facing colour scheme brighter colours outward facing will play out on the Macbook air.

Maybe glass keyboard with white keys and colour matched surround.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 34
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,418member
    mike54 said:
    I just hope they don't make it any thinner to make the thermals as bad as the Intel machines.
    The M1 Processor generates very little heat. Apple could probably make an iMac about the thickness of an iPad without thermal issues, but they'd also have to make thinner fans.
    watto_cobra