24-inch iMac with M1 benchmarks up to 56% faster than Intel model

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
The M1 processor performs similarly no matter the machine, so benchmarks have shown that the new 24-inch iMac outperforms its Intel variants handily.

The 24-inch iMac performs in line with other M1-based Macs
The 24-inch iMac performs in line with other M1-based Macs

The 24-inch iMac debuted at Apple's "Spring Loaded" event in April and houses an M1 processor. The computer will ship to customers starting May 21, but Geekbench results have already surfaced.

First reported by MacRumors, the 24-inch iMac scores similarly to Apple's other M1-based Macs. Customers can expect a impactful performance gain upgrading from even the most powerful Intel-based iMacs.

Geekbench is a benchmarking tool that attempts to provide an overall score that indicates processor performance. Scores can be affected by the operating system used, background tasks, and the temperature of the computer tested.

Benchmark scores for the 24-inch iMac provided by Geekbench
Benchmark scores for the 24-inch iMac provided by Geekbench

The 24-inch iMac scored 1729 on the single-core metric and 7459 on the multi-core metric. This appears to be the entry-level M1 processor with an 8-core CPU and 7-core GPU.

When compared to the 2019 21.5-inch iMac running Intel with an Intel Core i7 processor, the M1 runs 56% faster when compared to single-core performance. The M1 is 24% faster when compared to multi-core.

The 27-inch iMac with the 10th-generation Intel Core i7 won in multi-core with a 24% lead. However, the single-core performance of the M1 still won out with a 38% faster score.

These numbers are not an absolute reflection of how these machines will perform in everyday use. The M1 does show promise that upgrading from nearly any Intel-based Mac won't leave users wanting for more assuming that they have no workflows limited to Intel-only.

The 24-inch iMac is available in two configurations with seven color options, with upgrade options to up to 16GB of Ram and 2TB of storage on any model.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 122member
    How about that: mighty impressive performance of the 7-GPU core M1 🦖

On a side note, I have yet to notice the fan in my M1-macMini (sitting on my desk, just in front of the keyboard). In fact, I haven’t heard the fan at all, despite torturing the machine by restoring Aperture libraries up to 500.000 thousand pictures. (no complaining, though 😋)
    williamlondonqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    rundhvid said:

On a side note, I have yet to notice the fan in my M1-macMini (sitting on my desk, just in front of the keyboard). In fact, I haven’t heard the fan at all, despite torturing the machine by restoring Aperture libraries up to 500.000 thousand pictures. (no complaining, though 😋)
    Aperture still runs?! Wow!
    rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    So what? Intel still has all these goofy PCs!!

Show me a Mac that can project it’s screen through your fingers!!

williamlondonchadbagqwerty52chiaurahararadarthekatjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    indiekidukindiekiduk Posts: 380member
    I wonder who quit over the 7 GPU cores sales trick
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 14
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    This will be a great upgrade from my 2010 21.5” iMac with SSD which is still running strong and serves my needs. But, I’m going to wait until Apple releases the 27” replacement and/or refreshed MBPs to see what kind of processor they come with. Hopefully they make an M2 available as an upgrade in the 24”. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    rundhvid said:

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 15” and a M1 Mac Mini. I use iStat Pro on both to monitor, among other things, CPU temperature. The MacBook Intel CPU runs around 140 degrees when doing simple word processing and will go up to 200+ degrees when rendering video. I have never seen the M1 Mac Mini go over 100 degrees even when pushing it and it typically stays around 75 degrees for general use.  Big difference in generated heat generated by the CPUs.
    rundhvidmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondondanoxradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 122member
    mr lizard said:
    rundhvid said:

Yep, it sure does, given a little help: Retroactive 
    fischstarrmr lizardjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    rundhvid said:
    mr lizard said:
    rundhvid said:

OK.. that might just be the most wonderful comment that I've read on Appleinsider in the last 10 years. I have over 200,000 photos on Aperture, loved the interface and functions, and am still running Mojave because I don't buy Adobe's scam and I really can't find something to replace it with. This looks amazing. Thank you!

watto_cobrarundhvid
  • Reply 9 of 14
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    rundhvid said:
    mr lizard said:
    rundhvid said:

Brilliant! 
    watto_cobrarundhvid
  • Reply 10 of 14
    The article intentionally leaves out the scores for graphics performance.  The M1 performs better than Intel integrated graphics, but it does not perform better than dedicated graphics cards.  This has been well documented on various sites with the Metal scores, including here at AppleInsider.  The iMacs with upgraded dedicated graphics cards are faster the M1 in graphics performance (especially the 27"), but now the articles currently being posted leave out that information.  Even Apple only claims the M1 is faster than the 'standard' iMac 21.5", but not the ones with upgraded graphics.  

The chip shortage definitely has something to do with it because even the 21.5" models offered upgraded options, but now the M1 24" iMacs offer no upgrades at all, except for 16GB RAM and up to 2TB storage.  But it is fine for a base model iMac, but if someone wanted a smaller screen iMac and still wanted a graphics card upgrade, they no longer have that option.

You would think if Apple had been planning for this change for years, they would have the higher performance chips ready, but other chip shortages are causing an issue.  

Apple better have something better in pipeline because 16GB RAM, 2TB storage, and limited ports is pretty weak.  And not long ago, people were complaining about Apple and limited RAM and now everyone thinks it is great?  Makes no sense.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    The article intentionally leaves out the scores for graphics performance.  The M1 performs better than Intel integrated graphics, but it does not perform better than dedicated graphics cards.  This has been well documented on various sites with the Metal scores, including here at AppleInsider.  The iMacs with upgraded dedicated graphics cards are faster the M1 in graphics performance (especially the 27"), but now the articles currently being posted leave out that information.  Even Apple only claims the M1 is faster than the 'standard' iMac 21.5", but not the ones with upgraded graphics.  

The chip shortage definitely has something to do with it because even the 21.5" models offered upgraded options, but now the M1 24" iMacs offer no upgrades at all, except for 16GB RAM and up to 2TB storage.  But it is fine for a base model iMac, but if someone wanted a smaller screen iMac and still wanted a graphics card upgrade, they no longer have that option.

You would think if Apple had been planning for this change for years, they would have the higher performance chips ready, but other chip shortages are causing an issue.  

Apple better have something better in pipeline because 16GB RAM, 2TB storage, and limited ports is pretty weak.  And not long ago, people were complaining about Apple and limited RAM and now everyone thinks it is great?  Makes no sense.
    Apple does have higher spec chips ready. Apple just doesn’t want to put them in lower end computers right now. Why are you comparing 27” GPU vs lower end computers? Just because some people want higher amounts of memory, doesn’t mean that the current M1 memory configurations are not great for many people. People have different needs ok? For us, 8 or 16 is fine. For  that matter, 16gb is double what we had before on Intel Macs. I’ve always said some people will require more memory , storage and GPU. For most people, the current offerings are great. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    j2fusion said:
    rundhvid said:

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 15” and a M1 Mac Mini. I use iStat Pro on both to monitor, among other things, CPU temperature. The MacBook Intel CPU runs around 140 degrees when doing simple word processing and will go up to 200+ degrees when rendering video. I have never seen the M1 Mac Mini go over 100 degrees even when pushing it and it typically stays around 75 degrees for general use.  Big difference in generated heat generated by the CPUs.
    My intel MBP is routinely too hot to touch, even when it seems like I’m doing nothing and I can barely get more than 2 hours of battery life (probably because I’m heating the entire room with it.) A new Apple Silicon MBP is definitely in my future...
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

You're either not paying attention or being willfully obtuse because you can't stop talking about how disappointed in Apple you are. Clearly, they are getting the popular consumer models out with the M1 SoC configuration out first, and clearly there will be replacements for the pro side of the lineups coming later. They announced the transition would take place over two years, so not sure why you are assuming anything is delayed by a chip shortage or not "ready" etc. Absolutely nobody expected everything would be released at the same time.
    Fidonet127StrangeDaysPaulRP1williamlondonjony0watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 14 of 14
    PaulRP1PaulRP1 Posts: 1member
    I would buy one of these in a heartbeat, if only there was a matching display to use alongside it.  I am really used to two monitors.
    watto_cobra