iPhone user discovers MagSafe and ferrous sand do not mix

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,326member
    It would have been a cool Easter egg if Apple would have arranged the magnets to give the user a Smiley face.
    dewmeFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 22 of 31
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    "Not to mention people with pace makers need to keep the iPhone away from their bodies, like that's really possible. Probably not the best idea to build permanent magnets into your products. Just put in ferrous rings and let the accessory makers build in the magnets."

Okay:

1. The CDC has directly contradicted this. Maybe read sites like AppleInsider a bit more? FDA says iPhone 12 MagSafe risk to pacemakers is low ...

2. Your pacemaker isn't near your crotch or your ear, the two most likely places an iPhone at that level of close contact with your skin are likely to be found. For those with pacemakers who want to keep their iPhone in their breast pockets, I suspect they kind of figured out on their own that electronics that close to their pacemaker is probably not a great idea.

3. Your comment about the worth of magnets in all manner of devices is so ridiculous that it would be a pointless exercise to try and educate you, but if you think magnets  in devices is a bad idea, I have terrible news for you about just about every sort of device you use or have ever used.
    kingofsomewherehotmike1
  • Reply 23 of 31
    gc_ukgc_uk Posts: 110member
    "You're sanding it wrong."
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 24 of 31
    longfanglongfang Posts: 456member
    Magnets attract iron. Who knew?

/S
  • Reply 25 of 31
    kitatitkitatit Posts: 66member
    Working on an iron ore mine and around steel particles from grinding during fabrication, I can say, it’s not a huge issue with the MagSafe cases. 

The AirPods case magnet latch is on the other hand a complete disaster though. Please Apple, magnets are cute and fine for people working in offices but not for many of us. Also please can you make AirPods and their cases in something other than white! I look like a hobo when the dust gets into the AirPods case due to lid not closing because of metal filings stuck on magnet latch. 

Surely we are past the white accessories being needed for brand recognition.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 26 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    Apple could flip the script on the magnet controversy by pointing out that magnets have been shown, at least in experimental instances, to repel sharks. Some animals including sharks and pigeons are affected by magnetic fields. Whether your MagSafe equipped iPhone will keep a shark from eating you or a pigeon from pooping on you is yet to be determined, but who knows? I’m not going to do any experimentation on my own.

Seriously though, there are some rare but legitimate concerns around neodymium magnets used in consumer products. The risk is that children, and I suppose some adults, could ingest multiple magnets which can then cause a bowel obstruction when the magnets pinch and close a part of the digestive tract. This happened when a toy maker used magnets in a paper doll themed toy.

Since these isolated cases regulations have been put in place to prevent this situation with toys and consumer products, which are required to securely retain the magnets and discourage removal and ingestion. This makes sense for products intended for use by children, but anyone can still purchase very high grade loose neodymium magnets from multiple sources, including hardware stores, home improvement stores, and multiple online sources. I also harvest the neodymium magnets from dead hard drives and know people who retrieve them from certain brands of electric toothbrush tips. I used one of the harvested hard drive magnets to fix a problem with my mailbox door flopping open. Now it’s nicely snappy, no more flop, just like the AirPods case lid. 
  • Reply 27 of 31
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    Blah blah blah magnets blah blah blah pacemakers blah blah blah erase tapes blah blah blah tiny MRI blah blah how do they work blah blah blah…
  • Reply 28 of 31
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,141member
    In other news, swimmers complain that they find it difficult to breathe underwater...
    eriamjhmike1
  • Reply 29 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ROFL.  That's IRONIC ;)

Oh my, I was immediately transported back to my first physics class at age 11.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 30 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Not to mention people with pace makers need to keep the iPhone away from their bodies, like that's really possible. Probably not the best idea to build permanent magnets into your products. Just put in ferrous rings and let the accessory makers build in the magnets.

• Reply 31 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    mike1 said:
    Not to mention people with pace makers need to keep the iPhone away from their bodies, like that's really possible. Probably not the best idea to build permanent magnets into your products. Just put in ferrous rings and let the accessory makers build in the magnets.

A new accessary needed a magnet cancelation case.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Two-magnets-can-create-a-magnetic-field-cancellation-Particles-are-pushed-out-from-that_fig8_254059531
    edited May 2021