Google Nest will soon be on HomeKit thanks to Matter support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2021
Apple-backed smart home protocol, Matter, is coming to Google's Android and Nest products which means HomeKit will soon have access to the Nest Thermostat.

Google smart home to gain Matter support in update
Google smart home to gain Matter support in update

Buying devices for the smart home can be confusing due to multiple standards and smart assistants. A consortium of tech giants formed a new protocol, called Matter, to help keep things working regardless of the platform.

On Thursday, Google announced that Matter would be coming to the Android operating system and Nest products. This means that any device that uses the Matter protocol will now connect with Google Home via Android, including devices like the Nest Thermostat.

"All Nest displays and speakers, like the Nest Hub and Nest Mini, will be automatically updated to control Matter devices," says Google. That could allow Google's smart displays to control HomeKit devices that are certified by Matter.

Additionally, Google is specifically committing to updating its latest entry-level Nest Thermostat to support Matter. Unfortunately, Google has remained mum on its other smart home products including the Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Cams, Nest Protect, and Nest Hello. Future versions of these products may include support for Matter or perhaps Google doesn't intend to add Matter to those produts at all.

The Nest Thermostat is a notable addition to Matter since it has not been compatible with other smart home solutions like Apple's HomeKit since launch. Following full implementation of the protocol as soon as late 2021, users will be able to buy one device and use it with any assistant on any platform that supports Matter.

That means once Apple adds Matter support to HomeKit, users will be able to add things like the Nest Thermostat to their Apple Home app for the first time. Apple belongs to the group that develops Matter, but hasn't made any official announcements on adding the protocol.

Google also says it will introduce a new smart home directory to help customers find Google Assistant-compatible products. This hub will enable customers to filter products based on compatible software and protocols.

Google is also bringing support for WebRTC to its smart home product. This means smart doorbells will be able to use the low-bandwidth video format to stream video without lag. Google expects companies like Arlo, Logitech, Netatmo, and Wyze to add WebRTC in the coming weeks.

Apple is expected to announce updates to its HomeKit platform during WWDC in June. It is unknown if Matter will be added in an update to iOS 14 or if it will come in iOS 15 or a subsequent point update.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    heli0sheli0s Posts: 65member
    Until then - www.starlinghome.io

Excellent integration and active development.
    Beatssedicivalvolejibwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    Woo hoo! My only smart home devices without native HomeKit support. 
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    I’m not sure what adding my Nest Protect to the Home app would allow me to do. I suppose I could hope for a HomeKit-enabled water feature and turn it on with a smoke triggered automation.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    ELK7733ELK7733 Posts: 1member
    Does this include existing Nest devices? Or this is only for smart home products that have Matter moving forward?
    gregoriusmScot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    Well that’s interesting. Sounds like Matter will put to bed the issue some people have with not being able to find HK accessories.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Not sure whether to laugh or cry. Have an original Nest. All other devices are HomeKit compatible, and long since sorry that Google acquired Nest. Don’t want that snooping company in my house anymore so certainly don’t want to give it access to my HK network. 
    cg27williamlondonDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    itinj24itinj24 Posts: 51member
    Unless all devices are going to be supported by the “Matter” protocol, it’s just going to add more confusion to the table.  Well only these Nest devices are supported, but not these and these may be with a future update, not sure yet. 

Was really looking forward to this integration when it was first announced but will be a huge disappointment if they’re just adding more fragmentation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Well that’s interesting. Sounds like Matter will put to bed the issue some people have with not being able to find HK accessories.
    I hope it will. The home automation market is somewhat fragmented with several competing and incompatible standards (Z-wave, zigbee, HomeKit.) I have a Z-wave network at home and a HomeKit network at my cabin. Even for basic items like a door and window sensor, the selection of HomeKit devices is pretty thin. This isn't necessarily Apple's fault but it makes HomeKit a less attractive choice.

• Reply 9 of 16
    MplsP said:
    I hope it will. The home automation market is somewhat fragmented with several competing and incompatible standards (Z-wave, zigbee, HomeKit.) I have a Z-wave network at home and a HomeKit network at my cabin. Even for basic items like a door and window sensor, the selection of HomeKit devices is pretty thin. This isn't necessarily Apple's fault but it makes HomeKit a less attractive choice.

It is on Apple to a certain extent. A lot of manufacturers were turned off by Apple’s HomeKit certification process that they just gave up. They made it difficult to get products with HomeKit support to the market by third parties. I believe the process was eased up by not requiring the iM1 chip anymore but by that time, third party accessory manufacturers were looking elsewhere to integrate their devices. Sometimes Apple’s privacy policies are frustrating and a bit much. Tech and privacy don’t mix well. You have to assume a certain amount of privacy will be lost when using tech products. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    itinj24 said:
    MplsP said:

It is on Apple to a certain extent. A lot of manufacturers were turned off by Apple’s HomeKit certification process that they just gave up. They made it difficult to get products with HomeKit support to the market by third parties. I believe the process was eased up by not requiring the iM1 chip anymore but by that time, third party accessory manufacturers were looking elsewhere to integrate their devices. Sometimes Apple’s privacy policies are frustrating and a bit much. Tech and privacy don’t mix well. You have to assume a certain amount of privacy will be lost when using tech products. 
    Yeah - Apple required a hardware encryption chip originally.  Apple's about security & privacy.  Eventually Apple allowed software based encryption, which is generally considered not as secure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I've managed to keep my Nest thermostats on the Nest login which also keeps the original Nest API access working.  I have a plugin for HomeSeer that lets me integrate them with the rest of my home automation gear but I'm sure sooner or later they will force me to switch off of that account which will kill the API.  

So if they add Homekit support I will still be able to maintain functionality, which is great.  I'm getting ready to sell this house - my next one will NOT have Nest thermostats.  I have a Trane Zwave Thermostat that was my first home automation integration capable thermostat.  I got sucked into the "auto learning" hype with Nest - that never was easier to use than just setting your own schedule.  And unlike Nest, the Trane thermostat had handy things like buttons that make turning it on/off, adjusting the temperature and turning the fan on/off pretty trivial.  At least Nest as the ring which is great for changing the temperature quickly - my biggest complaint about the Ecobees - all touch is a PITA for quick adjustments.   A few buttons for frequently used things actually are useful.  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    itinj24 said:
    MplsP said:

You’re confusing privacy with security. HK has more stringent security requirements. Which, may affect your privacy. But considering how insecure many IoT products have been, erring on the side of security is a feature, not a bug. I won’t compromise on security just to get an Alexa skill more easily.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    itinj24 said:
    MplsP said:

You’re confusing privacy with security. HK has more stringent security requirements. Which, may affect your privacy. But considering how insecure many IoT products have been, erring on the side of security is a feature, not a bug. I won’t compromise on security just to get an Alexa skill more easily.  
    Privacy and security go hand in hand. My point is that if you’re worried about your privacy and security, then a smart home is not for you.  Most tech products aren’t for that matter.  
  • Reply 14 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    itinj24 said:
    MplsP said:

Part of the problem is the average consumer has little knowledge or understanding in this area. They see a z-wave or zigbee sensor that's half the price of a HomeKit one and that makes the decision for them. 

Our house came with a z-wave system and I've thought about switching it over but to be honest, the cost makes it prohibitive. On top of that, HomeKit is less flexible and has fewer features than the Nexia z-wave controller we have.
    edited May 2021 gatorguy
  • Reply 15 of 16
    rehamixarehamixa Posts: 1member
    Looks good) but google can't create anything for really useful a long time (    

edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I'm in a similar position to Docno42.    Bought Nest products some years ago (thermostats and Nest-Protect smoke detectors).   When Google later pulled a "google" and tried to shutdown all access to their products other than thru their new google-home platform, I was pretty disgusted with them and cancelled any plans i might have had to ever buy another google/nest product.   Since then, however, like Docono42, I have managed to cling by a thread (no pun intended), maintaining (despite hundreds of nagging messages) my original Nest account and using the old Nest API via a plugin that works (mostly) my home-automation platform of choice.    Only difference is that I use Indigo, he uses Homeseer.