2021 12.9-inch iPad Pro review: Pro hardware without Apple's pro software

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    elijahg said:
    Surely the M1 crossing over to the iPad Pro means iPadOS will begin to diverge from iOS in more meaningful ways than it has before now. The hardware transition always had to come first, so here we are, sooner than anyone expected. Cautiously optimistic?
    There were musings about this when the iPad Pro first came out, and when iPadOS was split from iOS. But short of a few things like slide over and running a whole two apps at once, it’s not changed much since the very first iPad was released. It’s horribly basic compared to macOS, calling it “pro” because it’s got a few simplified versions of pro desktop apps (which are similar in name only and run just fine on newer non-pro iPads too) doesn’t make it a pro machine. 
    And Apple could have just stayed with that status quo, upgrading the cameras and screen, like always. But they didn’t. Instead, they introduced the M1 into the equation. It’s a big step. It differentiates the Pro in a way that it has not been up to now. I think it shows Apple is dead serious about this category — the significant investment in the screen technology used in the 12.9" does so as well. 

I don’t think any of the various wish-list items people are talking about above are off the table, even things that don’t fit the iPad experience to date, like support for an external display (without mirroring) — none of them seem all that far-fetched, now that the M1 is in play.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 48
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    ivanh said:
    My impression is that Apple has ignored needs of a much better Asian language and characters input support to the iPad and iPhone. It is still a disappointment in the iPad Pro M1.
    That's an OS/Software issue - not a hardware issue to complain about a new hardware release.  Did you expect software to work differently on a new hardware release?!?!?!?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 48
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Why 4.5 out of 5 stars with the criticism given? 

Reading the review, iPad Pro could theoretically  have been 10 times as powerful yet remain capped by its software. It’s also running exclusively iOS so you can’t review the hardware without the software. 

The arguments provided seem more like a 3.5 out of 5 star review to me… Strange.  
    The iPad hasn't run iOS for a couple of years.  It runs iPadOS.

And if you're referring to, or hoping for macOS, then keep on hoping.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Summary: The iPad Pro has amazing hardware but meh software.
    My take: The iPad Pro running Mac OS with full touch screen support would be a pure drool fest. An instant buy now and a huge industry disrupter. Steve Jobs would have released it immediately.
    williamlondonelijahg
  • Reply 45 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    My take: The iPad Pro running Mac OS with full touch screen support would be a pure drool fest. An instant buy now and a huge industry disrupter. Steve Jobs would have released it immediately.
    Disgusting idea. It really seems that these who want macOS on an iPad, any iPad, haven’t given any thought to what that would be like.

‘’to do that, get any app that allows an iPad to run the macOS Desktop. You’ll see why it’s a ridiculous idea right away.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 48
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 832member
    melgross said:

Disgusting idea. It really seems that these who want macOS on an iPad, any iPad, haven’t given any thought to what that would be like.

Given that the M1 can run either OS, consider this: boot the iPad into macOS and you essentially get a 12.9” MacBook. Touch screen is disabled. Boot it into iPadOS and it runs like a regular iPad with touch screen operational. Instead of trying to merge the operating systems and functionality, keep them discrete and boot into one or the other. No worries about how this or that app is going to run in a different OS. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 48
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    charlesn said:
    melgross said:

Given that the M1 can run either OS, consider this: boot the iPad into macOS and you essentially get a 12.9” MacBook. Touch screen is disabled. Boot it into iPadOS and it runs like a regular iPad with touch screen operational. Instead of trying to merge the operating systems and functionality, keep them discrete and boot into one or the other. No worries about how this or that app is going to run in a different OS. 
    … and after WWDC you will be greatly disappointed.

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 48
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    melgross said:

‘’to do that, get any app that allows an iPad to run the macOS Desktop. You’ll see why it’s a ridiculous idea right away.
    I am quite certain that Apple has already explored that option. 
    I am also certain that Apple designers/engineers have already seen what the competition is doing as well, the MS Surface/convertible market. If that was the computing Valhalla that many here claim or want, Apple by now would've been calling it quits on iPadOS and touchscreen Macs would've already been announced. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra