2021 12.9-inch iPad Pro review: Pro hardware without Apple's pro software

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Surely the M1 crossing over to the iPad Pro means iPadOS will begin to diverge from iOS in more meaningful ways than it has before now. The hardware transition always had to come first, so here we are, sooner than anyone expected. Cautiously optimistic?
    Err, why? 
    It isn’t as though even the iPad Air is a slouch.  I think it just another example how Apple isn’t executing launches of beautiful blends of hardware and software like it used to.

Apple will probably get there eventually, but at the moment it seems all half arsed.

( it is t really of course on the big picture, Mac OS and ipad OS on a new chip for example. But the half arsed examples in the last month alone  are this iPad hobbled by the OS, Apple TV and Apple Lossless).
    edited May 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Why 4.5 out of 5 stars with the criticism given? 

Reading the review, iPad Pro could theoretically  have been 10 times as powerful yet remain capped by its software. It’s also running exclusively iOS so you can’t review the hardware without the software. 

The arguments provided seem more like a 3.5 out of 5 star review to me… Strange.  
    While I didn't write it, it's the inverse reason for the Apple TV's 2.5/5.

For the Apple TV: Not much of an upgrade since the previous model, effectively the same speed, don't need it if you had the last one. We still recommend it. 2.5/5

For the iPad: Best in class hardware, a giant improvement over the last model, literally, every regard except the camera, with about double the processing speed and more. YMMV on if it applies, based on your software. 4.5/5

And fwiw, scores suck. We absolutely hate having to give them, because 10 folks will have 10 different use cases and as such, different factors that add or subtract points from that score. But, if we don't, those average Joes that I was talking about in another review won't read it, and/or Google won't index it properly as a review.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonpscooter63tenthousandthingsdewmeCheeseFreezeVermelhowatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 48
    hucom2000 said:
    You have to be realistic about the price that the typical iOS/iPadOS customer is going to pay for software. LumaFusion is a $20 app, while Final Cut Pro is $300. IMO, saying that Final Cut Pro needs to be available is similar to saying that AAA console games need to be available...yeah, it would be nice, but it's not a realistic expectation based on the pricing structure that iOS/iPadOS support.   
    Well, one way to get professionals to consider giving the iPad Pro a try in their workflows would be to make the iOS Apps available at no additional cost for macOS pro-App licensees. Who ever owns a rightful copy of, say FinalCut, gets the iOS counterpart without shedding additional money. It would certainly make me try it at least. And who knows, I might make me continuously invest into iOS hardware down the road, because I experienced the potential.

Might not seem to be a typical Apple thing to do, to leave money on the table, but hey, they’re doing it with AppleTV+…
    That's just another way of admitting that spending $300 on an iPad app isn't something you would do...which is the point. AAA game makers don't rush to release their games for iOS/iPadOS for the same reason: it's unlikely that the customer base will accept $60-$70 pricing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    entropys said:
    The software issue isn’t apps. Although apps could do more than they do with that SOC.
    the software issue is the IpadOS itself.

file management is its biggest problem. End of story. 
    Multi user ability. It’s a pro machine.
    Multi windowing, multitasking all need fundamental work

The list is bigger, but those are the biggies preventing iPad being a laptop replacement, instead of a laptop alternative.
    These... are parts of its software.... almost everyone can agree on these. iPadOS needs updated with multi user support, a refreshed Files app, and some improvements to multitasking. Again, the hardware is rock solid. It is what runs on the hardware that needs addressing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 48
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Why 4.5 out of 5 stars with the criticism given? 

Reading the review, iPad Pro could theoretically  have been 10 times as powerful yet remain capped by its software. It’s also running exclusively iOS so you can’t review the hardware without the software. 

The arguments provided seem more like a 3.5 out of 5 star review to me… Strange.  
    LOL.  You're going to quibble about that?  A one star difference?  

This is a great review that is spot-on in my view.  My only thought is there wasn't as much focus on third party "pro" apps and OS/multitasking/file management as maybe there could have been.  But the bottom line is absolutely accurate:  It's a powerful, superb machine that suffers from lack of true pro software.  
    Vermelhowatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 48
    entropys said:
    Surely the M1 crossing over to the iPad Pro means iPadOS will begin to diverge from iOS in more meaningful ways than it has before now. The hardware transition always had to come first, so here we are, sooner than anyone expected. Cautiously optimistic?
    Err, why? 
    It isn’t as though even the iPad Air is a slouch.  I think it just another example how Apple isn’t executing launches of beautiful blends of hardware and software like it used to.

Apple will probably get there eventually, but at the moment it seems all half arsed.

( it is t really of course on the big picture, Mac OS and ipad OS on a new chip for example. But the half arsed examples in the last month alone  are this iPad hobbled by the OS, Apple TV and Apple Lossless).
    If you’re asking why optimistic, I guess I’d argue it’s precisely because of that “big picture” —  putting the M1 into the iPad Pro is a significant departure, in my book. 

What’s more, I don’t think we should assume that it will necessarily find its way to the other iPads. It’s possible, even probable, that’s not the plan. I mean, the M series is overkill in a regular iPad. The regular iPad is not a Surface (and the like) competitor, but this iPad Pro can be, if the OS gets the attention it needs. Apple is obviously committed to this path, they seem to believe in it, so I’m cautiously optimistic that they will follow through on the software side.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    hucom2000 said:
    You have to be realistic about the price that the typical iOS/iPadOS customer is going to pay for software. LumaFusion is a $20 app, while Final Cut Pro is $300. IMO, saying that Final Cut Pro needs to be available is similar to saying that AAA console games need to be available...yeah, it would be nice, but it's not a realistic expectation based on the pricing structure that iOS/iPadOS support.   
    Well, one way to get professionals to consider giving the iPad Pro a try in their workflows would be to make the iOS Apps available at no additional cost for macOS pro-App licensees. Who ever owns a rightful copy of, say FinalCut, gets the iOS counterpart without shedding additional money. It would certainly make me try it at least. And who knows, I might make me continuously invest into iOS hardware down the road, because I experienced the potential.

Might not seem to be a typical Apple thing to do, to leave money on the table, but hey, they’re doing it with AppleTV+…
    Adobe does that with ‘creative Cloud.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    MplsP said:
    entropys said:
    The software issue isn’t apps. Although apps could do more than they do with that SOC.

The list is bigger, but those are the biggies preventing iPad being a laptop replacement, instead of a laptop alternative.
    This. Andrew is right, of course, but as I read the story I kept asking myself - is the lack of software actually because of the OS? I can’t say for sure, but I can say that the OS is lacking.
    melgross said:
    Pro hardware without Apple's pro software
    Usually it's the software that compels you to buy the hardware. The iPad Pro is desirable hardware with no compelling software. Not sure if FCP is going to be enough
    That’s a problem because there were too many major upgrades to the hardware this year. So there are several scenarios. One would have been to have that software out before the tablet. Then we would have reviewers and posters complaining about the hardware not keeping up with the software, with a lousy experience.

second would have been to come out with FCS, Logic and Xcode at the same time as the new machine. Ok, but then we would get complaints that the OS couldn’t handle the requirements of those apps.

the third was to release the the tablet first, as they did, just before WWDC. Then, just a few weeks later, introduce OS changes needed, and the apps, along with some third parties intro’ing theirs, as they usually do. Which they did.

none of these is perfect. But the major OS changes had to wait for iPadOS 15 no matter what. Possibly the apps need to wait for that as well. So announcing them in June is what we could expect.

so, from what I gather, some people think Apple shouldn’t have come out with the M1 iPad until after the software came out later this year. I really don’t agree. There are plenty of apps that will benefit from this model, even without a new OS. I use some of them, and I can’t wait until my new iPad gets here late June (I hope).
    When did they introduce iPadOS 15? Or are you assuming they will announce a major update at WWDC?

Last year’s iPad pro is still limited by the OS and software, so they could easily have updated the software without the hardware being a limiting factor. In the end it doesn’t matter that much if they introduce the ipad and then the new OS & software a month later or vice versa, but the route they chose does leave people questioning their apparent focus on hardware while neglecting software.

That was the point, they haven’t introduced 15 yet, but they will June 7th. People should stop complaining about it until they do. Then, after all the new features are shown, they can begin their yearly rant because not everything they wanted will be out this year. I also disagree with you about the software. I have all of the iPad Pro 12.9” models, and no, the hardware isn’t ahead of the apps out there. Every hardware dependent app I use has gotten better as a result of the greater power of newer models. This will continue. And yes, I understand that a fairly small number of users do work, that for them, is limited by the OS in some way. I don’t believe anyone would argue with that. But I’m willing to bet that the majority of users are not.
    tmaycanukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 48
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    "Adobe does that with ‘creative Cloud."

Not to worry, some fossil will be along shortly to bemoan subscription software and how they own all their software, thankyouverymuch. <roll eyes> But yes, with the release of Photoshop and Illustrator for iPad, I'm finding new ways to use my 2017 iPad Pro in partnership with my main desktop iMac workhorse. My goal is not replacement, but augmentation, and while it'll take a while for me to figure out the best workflow, at least Adobe is making it easy for me to experiment. 

I think the fixation with the iPad replacing a desktop computer is misguided and highlights the sort of limitations the article's author runs into. Remember that Apple likely sells way more $299 10.2" iPads, so iPadOS is always going to be beholden to whatever that model's limitations are (and what that model's audience requires from the device).
    edited May 2021 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 48
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    entropys said:

These... are parts of its software.... almost everyone can agree on these. iPadOS needs updated with multi user support, a refreshed Files app, and some improvements to multitasking. Again, the hardware is rock solid. It is what runs on the hardware that needs addressing.
    Obviously they are all software, but the OS is strictly Apple's province and to the extent that the OS limits application features and development Apple's lack of OS development is a limiting factor. 

Non-Apple applications are of course outside of Apple's control. What is unknown is what factors are limiting more/better application development. Is it because of the OS? Or is it because developers are still unsure of or unwilling to figure out user interface issues unique to a touch screen device. There may also be a bit of a catch-22 in that relatively few people use an iPad as a laptop replacement, making the market for serious productivity apps comparatively small with uncertain returns on development costs. 

I suspect the real reason is a combination of these but if Apple want's to further the iPad as a true productivity machine they need to do everything they can in their power to position it as such - that means improving the OS, developing and marketing their in-house apps to take full advantage of the iPad's potential and possibly incentivizing 3rd party developers to increase the 'pro' software base. 

Edit: another way apple can push progress is through their own work on user interface conventions. MacOS is a long-established platform and as such there is an established 'lexicon' of user interface conventions that has evolved over the years. Those conventions are still evolving for the iPad, meaning developers have to spend proportionally more time working them out.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    Very well done article. I think the issues regarding software inadequacies were fair and backed by solid reasoning. The only issue that I personally disagree with, unless my concerns are mitigated, is the notion that bringing XCode to the iPad Pro being necessary. I have no desire to run XCode in its current incarnation on any device that is limited to one screen, especially on a screen that is by programming workstation standards, a tiny screen. At the very least the iPad Pro would have to support extending the desktop across one or more external monitors. Mirroring is not enough.

When I use a notebook computer for development work it is docked with two external monitors mounted on arms and with a trackball, mouse, and keyboard. I may use the built-in screen for email or other mundane tasks, but typically it is closed. Sure, if I'm traveling and have to do a quick update to a few files or kick off a build, the built-in screen is gun-to-my-head tolerable.

The wild card here is that Apple could redesign XCode to make it enjoyable and productive to use on an iPad Pro. If they do that, I'm all in and will change my tune. But as it stands today, I'm not going to knock Apple at all for holding off on putting XCode on iPad Pro until they can get it done right. Forcing it would be counterproductive.
    edited May 2021 tmaymacplusplusVermelho
  • Reply 32 of 48
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 839member
    entropys said:

THIS. And is there anyone who believes that Apple doesn't have the OS capabilities to solve these issues in a heartbeat if it wanted to? I sure don't. iPadOS remains hobbled in this basic but essential functionality because Apple wants it that way. As long as basics of laptop use remain a kludge on iPadOS, Apple can continue selling you both. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 48
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    melgross said:
    Usually it's the software that compels you to buy the hardware. The iPad Pro is desirable hardware with no compelling software. Not sure if FCP is going to be enough
    That’s a problem because there were too many major upgrades to the hardware this year. So there are several scenarios. One would have been to have that software out before the tablet. Then we would have reviewers and posters complaining about the hardware not keeping up with the software, with a lousy experience.

second would have been to come out with FCS, Logic and Xcode at the same time as the new machine. Ok, but then we would get complaints that the OS couldn’t handle the requirements of those apps.

the third was to release the the tablet first, as they did, just before WWDC. Then, just a few weeks later, introduce OS changes needed, and the apps, along with some third parties intro’ing theirs, as they usually do. Which they did.

none of these is perfect. But the major OS changes had to wait for iPadOS 15 no matter what. Possibly the apps need to wait for that as well. So announcing them in June is what we could expect.

so, from what I gather, some people think Apple shouldn’t have come out with the M1 iPad until after the software came out later this year. I really don’t agree. There are plenty of apps that will benefit from this model, even without a new OS. I use some of them, and I can’t wait until my new iPad gets here late June (I hope).
    This is not the first iPad Pro that had solid performance in every category, but Apple is still unable to demonstrate a convincing use case, they had plenty of time. I know from Adobe that they're not getting enough demand for iPad equivalents, they run their surveys and receive low interest. I had pushed back stating it's like asking people wehther they want a car or a faster horse, they're just going by their survey results. I know Apple even invested their own talent to get PS and Ai to the iPad, but I feel these apps are slowly reaching their EOL. Modern day pro apps like After Effects, Adobe XD, FCP, Visual Studio, and Xcode are the way to go.

To be fair the iPad Pro is a tough case to make, on one end you need a keyboard to type, on the other it's easier to just use a touch-pad rather than floating your entire arm limb over the screen, so why not just buy a laptop. I am aware of the convenience of gestures, but those can also be performed on the touchpad. I had that discussion with myself every time I was tempted to buy an iPad Pro.
    dewmeMplsP
  • Reply 34 of 48
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    melgross said:

This is not the first iPad Pro that had solid performance in every category, but Apple is still unable to demonstrate a convincing use case, they had plenty of time. I know from Adobe that they're not getting enough demand for iPad equivalents, they run their surveys and receive low interest. I had pushed back stating it's like asking people wehther they want a car or a faster horse, they're just going by their survey results. I know Apple even invested their own talent to get PS and Ai to the iPad, but I feel these apps are slowly reaching their EOL. Modern day pro apps like After Effects, Adobe XD, FCP, Visual Studio, and Xcode are the way to go.

To be fair the iPad Pro is a tough case to make, on one end you need a keyboard to type, on the other it's easier to just use a touch-pad rather than floating your entire arm limb over the screen, so why not just buy a laptop. I am aware of the convenience of gestures, but those can also be performed on the touchpad. I had that discussion with myself every time I was tempted to buy an iPad Pro.
    Exactly this.  For productivity and value, the $999 MBA is a much better buy and for basic tasks, there's the iPad / iPad Air.  There was an interview early last year with Imran Chaudhri, Former Director of Design on the Human Interface team on the 10th anniversary of the iPad, he was asked how he would like to see the iPad & Mac lineup evolve;

We all know with 20/20 hindsight what the history of the iPad is 10 years later. But if you were to take a guess at 10 years in the future, do you see the iPad evolving to replace the Mac? Do you see it being a portal to cloud or streaming services? What do you think is the next big step for that platform?

Imran: I think it'll be interesting for all of us to watch and see how Apple evolves the iPad. But, you know, I think one of the struggles that customers have with the iPad right now is really trying to figure out what role it plays in terms of a portable class computer. You have a traditional desktop computer or a traditional laptop computer — and where does the iPad fit in? You know, I would hope and I think they would continue to evolve it to a point where the iPad does end up doing a lot more that the Mac [currently] does and that the Mac redefines itself as more of a professional tool and the iPad defines itself as more of a mass consumer computing platform. I think that would be almost like a natural progression.

https://www.inputmag.com/tech/the-ipads-original-software-designer-and-program-lead-look-back-on-the-devices-first-10-years

I 100% agree with this take.  

edited May 2021
  • Reply 35 of 48
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    charlesn said:
    entropys said:

THIS. And is there anyone who believes that Apple doesn't have the OS capabilities to solve these issues in a heartbeat if it wanted to? I sure don't. iPadOS remains hobbled in this basic but essential functionality because Apple wants it that way. As long as basics of laptop use remain a kludge on iPadOS, Apple can continue selling you both. 
    If I may add, I see external monitor support as an essential one for multi-tasking to shine. Which means, not the terrible mirror mode of today, but native resolution on the external monitor. 
    My guess is that the M1 is the first one to support such a thing on the hardware side, but I don’t know if it’ll be able to power both the iPad screen and an external monitor.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    polymnia said:
    entropys said:

I share your concerns about the filesystem being a major problem. I generate lots of big files in my work. I copy directories full of media assets through various phases of production then deliver big files to my clients upon approval of my work. I can do this now, but the tools are clunky and Dropbox integration isn't a bulletproof as it is on the Mac.
    Apple has tried to make the file system (amongst other things) as basic as it is on iOS. That’s fine for a phone, but it’s no good for something claiming to be a laptop replacement. Conversely to the hardware, Apple has a habit of one-size-fits-all approach to software for pros and non-pros alike. Power users need better access to the file system, CLI, development tools, multi-window workflows etc. Until such time - or perhaps if - whilst the hardware may be “pro” the machine is not.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    There were musings about this when the iPad Pro first came out, and when iPadOS was split from iOS. But short of a few things like slide over and running a whole two apps at once, it’s not changed much since the very first iPad was released. It’s horribly basic compared to macOS, calling it “pro” because it’s got a few simplified versions of pro desktop apps (which are similar in name only and run just fine on newer non-pro iPads too) doesn’t make it a pro machine. 
  • Reply 38 of 48
    melgross said:

From what I read, it’s possible that Apple sold around 10 million iPad pros last year. Thats a considerable number. Going by current backorders, mine included, Apple seems to have a major seller in this one too. Adobe has been working on their iPad apps almost from the beginning, and they have a dozen of them. I use several, and they’re pretty good. But the big ones are a work in progress. When people feel they are at the point where they rival the Desktop versions, then they will use them. They’re good now. Most photographers have iPads, and have for years. The apps they use aren’t really important.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 48
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    elijahg said:
    polymnia said:
    entropys said:

I share your concerns about the filesystem being a major problem. I generate lots of big files in my work. I copy directories full of media assets through various phases of production then deliver big files to my clients upon approval of my work. I can do this now, but the tools are clunky and Dropbox integration isn't a bulletproof as it is on the Mac.
    Apple has tried to make the file system (amongst other things) as basic as it is on iOS. That’s fine for a phone, but it’s no good for something claiming to be a laptop replacement. Conversely to the hardware, Apple has a habit of one-size-fits-all approach to software for pros and non-pros alike. Power users need better access to the file system, CLI, development tools, multi-window workflows etc. Until such time - or perhaps if - whilst the hardware may be “pro” the machine is not.
    If this is what you're looking for then get a Mac, Windows or Linux machine.  The iPad Pro is a great device for creative professionals, some that use it as their only device and others that augment it in their current workflow. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 48
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    elijahg said:
    polymnia said:
    entropys said:
    The software issue isn’t apps
    . Although apps could do more than they do with that SOC.

If this is what you're looking for then get a Mac, Windows or Linux machine.  The iPad Pro is a great device for creative professionals, some that use it as their only device and others that augment it in their current workflow. 
    But here’s the thing - as a creative professional, I don’t think it’s that great… yet, because it is mostly a handicapped experience that resembles macOS. 
    Yes, if you use the pencil a lot and make drawings using ProCreate, you are completely 100% spot on. No doubt.
    But that’s a very niche segment. The “creative professional” is a software developer, a sound engineer, an editor on the go, a post-production person, et cetera, and what they need is a device that scales from mobile/touch to desktop/pro instead having to deal with two operating systems and paradigms which only cross-over on that tiny-ass overlapping point on the Venn diagram.
    Yes, the two can remain apart, but Apple’s strategy is leading to the majority of pros using laptops and desktops, whereas the iPad Pro only serves a niche (unlike the cheap iPads that serve mostly the consumer market).
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamelijahg