Apple adds Thunderbolt Display to list of 'vintage' products

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Amid rumors that Apple is working on a cheaper first-party desktop display, the company has added the 27-inch Thunderbolt Display to its list of "vintage" products.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Apple defines "vintage" products as devices that have not been sold for more than five and less than seven years ago. The company maintains a support document with vintage or obsolete products so that users can get service or repairs after their warranties expire.

The Thunderbolt Display launched in 2011 and was officially discontinued in 2016. During its run, the Thunderbolt display didn't receive any updates. Notably, it was the last Apple-branded display in production before the launch of the Pro Display XDR.

Unlike the consumer-focused Thunderbolt Display, however, the Pro Display XDR is aimed at the professional market -- and it packs a $5,000 price tag.

Apple is reportedly working on a lower-priced external display to succeed the Thunderbolt Display. There isn't much information about the rumored monitor beyond the fact that it should be cheaper than the Pro Display XDR.

Follow all of WWDC 2021 with comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details on new launches and updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Ugh, I wish they’d come out with a 27 inch or higher replacement. I just want a nice thunderbolt 3 connection to my MacBook Pro. 
    narwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    Yeah. Bring a new iMac like 24 and 30 inch display. With TB, Speaker, facetime camera and some microphones. I can imagine many MacBook Pro owners to buy one of these for productive home office sessions with a tidy desktop. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Wohoo another Apple product just got added to my vintage collection 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    So the 30-inch Thunderbolt display is now vintage, but the 30-inch DisplayPort version (which I think is called the LED Cinema Display, which I own) is not vintage? 

Or does Apple also mean to include the DisplayPort version when they talk about the Thunderbolt version?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The 27" LED Cinema Display is also vintage, which you could easily have found out by clicking the link through to the support page.
    edited June 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 10
    So the 30-inch Thunderbolt display is now vintage, but the 30-inch DisplayPort version (which I think is called the LED Cinema Display, which I own) is not vintage? 

Or does Apple also mean to include the DisplayPort version when they talk about the Thunderbolt version?
    Other than the current XDR display every display Apple has made is either vintage or obsolete.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624
  • Reply 7 of 10
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    And my 2004 and 2007 Apple 30” Cinema Displays soldier on.  All three of them.   The oldest is a ticket used daily as a third screen in my iMac. The other two are used intermittently hooked to a 2008 Mac Pro with a native W10 install for some specialty software. 

Costco had a Thunderbolt 4K Display of some sort (Dell?) on the sales floor a few months ago at a decent price. I almost bought on but my display needs right now are not dire so I didn’t.   It was an actual Thunderbolt connected display. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    While it's not a 4K monitor, I refuse to buy any other brand until Apple comes out with their own Apple-branded monitor.

I have two 27" Apple Thunderbolt displays connected to my iMac here at the office, and I have one connected to my iMac at home.  The company I work at is slowly becoming an Apple shop, and they've been buying Apple TB displays on the used market.  That's how good they are.  From a design/quality/and integrated dock/camera/speakers/microphone -  there's STILL nothing that comes close to all-around usability.  They just work (on Intel Macs).

I'm really hoping that Apple comes out with a new, thin external display similar (and larger) like their new iMacs.  I would buy them in an instant.
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    Ugh, I wish they’d come out with a 27 inch or higher replacement. I just want a nice thunderbolt 3 connection to my MacBook Pro. 
    It's still only 2560x1440, and has a traditional anti-glare finish, but the Lenovo T27hv-20 is a good option for business use. USB-C connection, HDMI, DisplayPort options.

IPS, 99%sRGB, 350nits
    1080p webcam
    3W speakers (meh)
    4 port USB 3.2 Gen 1 and a BC 1.2 port
    Gigabit Ethernet
    Headphone jack
    Flip out headphone holder
    100W USB-C power delivery

3 year warranty, a bit over 1/2 the price of the Thunderbolt Display when it was discontinued.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member

Other than the current XDR display every display Apple has made is either vintage or obsolete.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624
    I did read that page before I wrote that post, but I was looking for "DisplayPort" in lieu of "Thunderbolt" since I presumed Apple would be consistent in naming its monitors after the ports they use, rather than after the screen type. If Apple had placed the name of the monitor on the monitor itself, I wouldn't have made the mistake because I also searched the monitor for its name but couldn't find it there either. But you did help me figure its out now, so thanks.