Ecobee SmartThermostat set to become first third-party HomeKit device to support Siri

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Smart home purveyor Ecobee says that it will become one the very first third-party device with support for Siri before the end of 2021.

Starting later this year, owners of the Ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control will be able to enable "Hey Siri" support on their devices after a firmware update.

"We're excited to integrate Siri into ecobee's SmartThermostat with voice control and offer Apple customers a more seamless experience throughout the home," said Stuart Lombard, ecobee Founder and CEO. "With every advancement to our products, we hope to make our customers' lives better, with devices that bring even more convenience to each day. Today's announcement brings that promise to life by opening up new ways for our customers to interact with our SmartThermostat using Siri."

During Apple's annual World Wide Developers Conference, Apple
announced support for third-party manufacturers to integrate Siri into their own devices. Apple's virtual voice assistant has thus far been relegated to Apple's own hardware.

Users will still be required to have a HomePod or HomePod mini in their home as the Ecobee SmartThermostat will simply be relaying the information to Apple's own smart speaker.

Follow all of WWDC 2021 with comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details on iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, macOS Monterey and more.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    Hey that’s my thermostat. 
    JapheyBeats
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dasjettadasjetta Posts: 33member
    I’m glad I have this thermostat and that it already integrates so well with HomeKit. Now if only ecobee would design a prettier thermostat similar to the nest. You have to admit the ecobee is pretty ugly looking on the wall and it’s interface is clunky. 

I wonder how long before nest will start to integrate with HomeKit. Their biggest drawback is that the remote temperature sensors do not have a follow me mode that ecobee has and they must adhere to a schedule. Not as flexible in that regard. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I wonder if Apple had 1st party home devices that took off if they would have opened Siri at all.