2021 iPhone will be 'iPhone 13' with 'Pro,' 'Pro Max,' 'Mini' variants says supply chain

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2021
Apple's fall iPhone refresh will be known as the "iPhone 13," a report claims, with Apple also continuing to use its "mini," "Pro," and "Pro Max" terminology for the different models.

The number that Apple will use to denote the 2021 iPhone lineup has caused some debate due to it potentially being the "iPhone 13." Despite the seemingly unlucky association with the number, it is claimed Apple will be using it for the range.

According to supply chain checks by the Economic Daily News, Apple will continue from the iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 by using the number 13 for the following collection.

A survey from June 21 claimed 74% of respondents wanted to have the name changed to something else, though only one in five of those asked said they were superstitious about the number. The top suggestion for an alternate name was "iPhone (2021)" with 38% of the vote.

In terms of individual variants, Apple will apparently continue to use the existing names for the new models, including the 6.7-inch "iPhone 13 Pro Max," the 6.1-inch "iPhone 13" and "iPhone 13 Pro," and the 5.4-inch "iPhone 13 mini."

Hon Hai will apparently be the main producer of iPhones in the generation and is said to have secured all Pro Max orders, 68% of the "iPhone 13", and approximately 60% of orders for the "iPhone 13 Pro." Production timelines are thought to revert to schedules before COVID-19, with shipments in the third quarter followed by a peak in production in the fourth quarter.

This echoes a June 28 report that component shipments from Apple's Taiwanese supply chain were earlier than 2020's production, putting the schedule closer to 2019's efforts.

The Economic Daily News has a decent track record on reporting from inside Apple's supply chain. It has a notably poorer one when it tries to predict Apple's product plans, or features.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple may not be concerned with calling it the iPhone 13 but I guarantee there are millions of weak minded idiots who will. And some of them will be Apple customers. Never underestimate the power of irrational superstition. Just take a gander at the vaccine hesitancy because of misinformation and rumor. And remember the fact that most high buildings don’t have a 13th floor. Humans, gotta love ‘em.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 15
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    I'm glad to see Apple isn't going to annoy the rest of us by catering to the superstitious idiots.
    CelticPaddytokyojimuBeatsbaconstang
  • Reply 3 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    9 is the new 13.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple may not be concerned with calling it the iPhone 13 but I guarantee there are millions of weak minded idiots who will. And some of them will be Apple customers. Never underestimate the power of irrational superstition. Just take a gander at the vaccine hesitancy because of misinformation and rumor. And remember the fact that most high buildings don’t have a 13th floor. Humans, gotta love ‘em.

I suspect few are actually superstitious about it.   More like its become culturally inappropriate to use that number.  A bit like farting in church.

Personally, I prefer their old system of creating an "S" model that has the same form factor but improved and upgraded internals.  But, that doesn't jive with the standard American marketing strategy of every year having a "New & Improved" model.  With an "S" model, it's harder to portray it as "new".
  • Reply 5 of 15
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    lkrupp said:
    They’ve already been through iOS 13, which didn’t suffer significantly from superstition, even after some hiccups at launch, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. 
    CelticPaddy
  • Reply 6 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    lkrupp said:

I suspect few are actually superstitious about it.   More like its become culturally inappropriate to use that number.  A bit like farting in church.

Personally, I prefer their old system of creating an "S" model that has the same form factor but improved and upgraded internals.  But, that doesn't jive with the standard American marketing strategy of every year having a "New & Improved" model.  With an "S" model, it's harder to portray it as "new".
    Exactly how is it harder to portray “S” models as new?

Everybody knows when new iPhones come out. Everybody knows that whichever iPhone is being advertised is the new and current model. Everybody knows that older models are kept around for a year or two and discounted. This isn’t quantum physics pal…Everybody knows. 

People aren’t as stupid as you think, and even if they were, it wouldn’t matter to them which model they bought anyway. 

It’s not 2010…this shit isn’t new anymore. 
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 7 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    lkrupp said:

By the way, church is the absolute best place to fart. The acoustics enhance the volume and echo to almost super-human levels. 
    lkruppSpitbath
  • Reply 8 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Japhey said:
    lkrupp said:

By the way, church is the absolute best place to fart. The acoustics enhance the volume and echo to almost super-human levels. 
    If you can even hear it over the screaming kids.  :)
  • Reply 9 of 15
    GurekkuGurekku Posts: 2member
    In East Asia, under centuries long Chinese cultural influence, the unlucky number is 4, not 13. In Korea and Japan, elevators usually don't skip the fourth floor, but often instead indicate it with the Roman letter 'F' (for English 'four') instead of the number '4' (whose pronunciation ominously happens to sound like the word for 'death' in Chinese, Korean and Japanese). Coincidentally, perhaps intentionally, the international terminal at Chicago's O'Hare Airport (which hosts a lot superstitious passengers to and from East Asia) is called Terminal 5, skipping 4 -- the four terminals at O'Hare are numbered 1, 2, 3, 5. Despite the unlucky designation, though, it seems iPhone 4 sold very well world-wide, as iPhone 13 surely will, too. 
    JapheybaconstangGeorgeBMacdewme
  • Reply 10 of 15
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Gurekku said:
    In Korea and Japan, elevators usually don't skip the fourth floor, but often instead indicate it with the Roman letter 'F' (for English 'four') instead of the number '4'
    I have spent a good part of my life living in Japan and I have never seen that.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    If they made the mini the size of the 5s or even the size of the 5s screen that would be killer!!!
    right_said_fred
  • Reply 12 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Anyone who is thinking of a mini but haven’t got one yet should get this one. I suspect there might not be more. Dickheads have developed a meme about battery life being poor when in fact, it is right in the middle between an SE an a full size iPhone 12.  So the 13 mini might be the last one.
    It is a marvellous machine but I think the memes have scared away a lot of potential buyers.

right_said_fredkestral
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Gurekku said:
    In East Asia, under centuries long Chinese cultural influence, the unlucky number is 4, not 13. In Korea and Japan, elevators usually don't skip the fourth floor, but often instead indicate it with the Roman letter 'F' (for English 'four') instead of the number '4' (whose pronunciation ominously happens to sound like the word for 'death' in Chinese, Korean and Japanese). Coincidentally, perhaps intentionally, the international terminal at Chicago's O'Hare Airport (which hosts a lot superstitious passengers to and from East Asia) is called Terminal 5, skipping 4 -- the four terminals at O'Hare are numbered 1, 2, 3, 5. Despite the unlucky designation, though, it seems iPhone 4 sold very well world-wide, as iPhone 13 surely will, too. 
    The demolition of the original Terminal 1 in 1984 to make way for Jahn's design forced a "temporary" relocation of international flights into facilities called "Terminal 4" on the ground floor of the airport's central parking garage. - from wikipedia

So for a short while at least, Chicago flyers were not superstitious.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    iPhone X3 this year
    iPhone X3S next year

Just to tweak Elon. 
    MplsPright_said_fredwilliamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    IPhone XIII - Then everyone will think it’s either a Super Bowl or an MGM copyright. Otherwise I think @radarthekat and Elon have it right!

Looking at the pictures I see 2 cameras for the mini and ‘standard’ models and 3 for the pro/pro-max. If this is accurate, I really hope the 2nd lens is a zoom lens and not a wide angle, but I’m afraid they’ll stick with the current system and make people pay extra for the zoom lens. Kinda stinks since that’s the more useful of the two.