Stutter charity calls out Apple for 'stammering' emoji gaffe

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    slow n easyslow n easy Posts: 395member
    crowley said:
    Does stammer mean something else in the US?  I don’t even understand why anyone would think that emoji might be relevant to stammering.
    Yes, it also has another meaning in the U.S. If someone is drunk and they are not walking in a straight line, that is also called stammering. Like maybe they are taking two steps forward and a step back and then a step to the side and then a step to the other side. That sort of thing. 
  • Reply 22 of 45
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,106member
    crowley said:
    Does stammer mean something else in the US?  I don’t even understand why anyone would think that emoji might be relevant to stammering.
    Not so much different meanings but different usages. 

A person that has a speech disorder that causes them to "stutter", we say that they are "stuttering". 

But if a person is"stuttering" because they are drunk, drowsy, under medication, have other things weighing on their mind when speaking, then we tend to use the word "stammering", instead of "stuttering". 

Plus here in the US, I don't ever recall hearing anyone referring to a person that "stutters" or is "stuttering", a "stammerer". But a person's speech can be "stammered" or is "stammering" when speaking.  (Not that I actually hear either of these words (stutter and stammer) being used often, in everyday conversations.)    
    beowulfschmidttenthousandthingsllamaFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 23 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,698member
    Huh. This emoji suggestion "feature" is like a very lame built-in game that I never knew existed.

Many hours of fun ensues as thousands hundreds just me strive to find more offensive suggestions.

The "fart" emoji suggestion is kind of weird. Color is a little off ... looks more like a snowman fart ... and is that a droplet in the emission? Eww.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is the sort of shit that’s pushing civilization to the brink. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry has an axe to grind, an agenda to push, something to be outraged about, a group to blame for their troubles. Everybody has a chip on their shoulder, a grievance to massage. You are nothing, a nobody if you aren’t somebody’s victim, if you aren’t a survivor. Everybody is offended, depressed. Everybody has PTSD of some sort, something to blame their lot in life on. Stoicism has been removed from the lexicon. It’s never your fault, somebody did something to you. The world OWES you
    BeatsdewmeJapheymike1llamarob55FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Stammer can be used to describe when people do a one time stutter because they're confused or nervous. While I get what this group is saying, they don't get to change the meaning of the word stammer. They don't now 'own' that word.
    I’m not sure what’s happening in this chat. It seems that there’s a distinct lack of empathy (consideration, even?) for those who suffer from stammering/stuttering. For a fuller understanding please take a look at this British medical site: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stammering/. Also note the first synonym listed for ‘stammer’ in this US dictionary: https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/stammer. And vice verse: https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/stutter. In other words, the UK group is not trying to change the meaning of the term ‘stammer’ at all. They’re using it correctly. Even the name of their organisation, STAMMA, demonstrates that!
    Please understand that for those who do stammer (stutter) it is not a trivial matter and I do not for one moment believe that the British association that has raised this matter is displaying a victim mentality. It’s simply the fact that the emoji that appears for the search term ‘stammer’ is not appropriate. All that needs to be done is to disassociate the one from the other. No one is asking Apple to move the emoji, just the association between the two (if I understand the matter correctly). It’s a sad thing to see the unsympathetic views expressed here. 
    muthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 26 of 45
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    What the PC “wokes” forget, there are many reason for stammering and stuttering, and they include getting caught in a lie, being embarrassed etc. non of which have to do with a speech impediment.
    And in many of those cases, that emoji is totally fitting.

As much as nobody should be ridiculed for a speech impediment or some other form of handicap, the world doesn’t revolve around the weak people who think everything is about them.

What’s next? Can’t wear dark sunglasses because blind people might feel mocked by it? 

It’s going to be fun in the future, when AI working on large datasets discovers scientific facts that happen to be not to the liking of “the woke”; will science be forced to bury the truth, lest some group identity gets offended?
    edited July 2021 mike1llamaFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 27 of 45
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    rcfa said:
    It’s going to be fun in the future, when AI working on large datasets discovers scientific facts that happen to be not to the liking of “the woke”; will science be forced to bury the truth, lest some group identity gets offended?
    This is already happening. Haven’t you heard? Mathematics are now considered racist because students are required to answer problems correctly. Apparently, finding the “right” solution to a problem is biased against certain people. Imagine NASA employing those people for the moon landing. Close enough, good job!
  • Reply 28 of 45
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    lkrupp said:
    This is the sort of shit that’s pushing civilization to the brink. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry has an axe to grind, an agenda to push, something to be outraged about, a group to blame for their troubles. Everybody has a chip on their shoulder, a grievance to massage. You are nothing, a nobody if you aren’t somebody’s victim, if you aren’t a survivor. Everybody is offended, depressed. Everybody has PTSD of some sort, something to blame their lot in life on. Stoicism has been removed from the lexicon. It’s never your fault, somebody did something to you. The world OWES you
    Yup. And the scariest part of all this is that eventually the participation trophy generation will reproduce and pass this wisdom down. And down. And down. 
  • Reply 29 of 45
    In the UK we use the term stammer - and elsewhere in the world the term is stutter - but they refer to the same thing
    tenthousandthingsronn
  • Reply 30 of 45
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,426member
    Japhey said:
    lkrupp said:
    Yup. And the scariest part of all this is that eventually the participation trophy generation will reproduce and pass this wisdom down. And down. And down. 

It's already begun. The participation trophy generation is breeding now.
    Japhey
  • Reply 31 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    I guess we found your grievance.  Call the wahmbulance.
    tenthousandthingsllamaronn
  • Reply 32 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    I looked up ‘stammer’ in the apple dictionary and it actually says ‘stutter,’ but that’s not what I think of when I see the word. For me, stutter is a specific speech impediment/disorder while stammering makes me think of altered speech for other reasons.

Perhaps Foster Brooks - one of the world's greatest stammerers (for other reasons) may have given the word its association:

• Reply 33 of 45
    In the UK we use the term stammer - and elsewhere in the world the term is stutter - but they refer to the same thing

You guys don't even know what the "hood" of a car is!  
    :)
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Perhaps the problem with this emoji is that, used without context, its actual meaning could be many different but less than flattering things.

Looked at in context, I can see the logic behind it -- a person struggling hard to get something to come out.
    But, out of context, its meaning is left to the imagination of the reader -- and it does not look flattering at all.
    tenthousandthings
  • Reply 35 of 45
    crowley said:
    Yes, it also has another meaning in the U.S. If someone is drunk and they are not walking in a straight line, that is also called stammering. Like maybe they are taking two steps forward and a step back and then a step to the side and then a step to the other side. That sort of thing. 
    No. That is just wrong. Maybe you’ve got it mixed up with “stagger” — which means pretty much exactly what you’ve described?

There is a medical condition known as “stammering gait” or “stuttering gait,” you can look it up, but it’s got nothing to do with being drunk or what you’re describing. 
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 36 of 45
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    rcfa said:
    What the PC “wokes” forget, there are many reason for stammering and stuttering, and they include getting caught in a lie, being embarrassed etc. non of which have to do with a speech impediment.

As much as nobody should be ridiculed for a speech impediment or some other form of handicap, the world doesn’t revolve around the weak people who think everything is about them.

What’s next? Can’t wear dark sunglasses because blind people might feel mocked by it? 

If you think AI will be capable of making unbiased decisions within our lifespans, I have a bridge to sell you. AI working on large datasets doesn't discover facts about the world, it discovers facts about the dataset. And if the data was entered by humans, or if humans decided what data to collect, the data isn't really objective anymore.

Some things correlate to race or other legally-protected characteristics more strongly than you might expect. The correlation between ZIP code and race is so strong banks in the US are prohibited from using an applicant's ZIP code in lending decisions. We don't even know all of the correlations which can be used as proxies for race, let alone have a way to correct for them.

Black people got longer prison sentences in the past? An algorithm trained on that data will continue making racist recommendations. For example, criminal sentencing AI was found to overestimate recidivism likelihood for black inmates and to underestimate it for white inmates.
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 45
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

You guys don't even know what the "hood" of a car is!  
    :)
    I know of this "bonnet" to which you refer. Thank you Mr. Clarkson!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The Germans call it a haube (actually motorhaube, but they do insist on compounding everything) which translates to hat or bonnet, but definitely not hood.  And since they invented the car, that seals it for me.
    GeorgeBMacFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 39 of 45
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,106member
    crowley said:
    The Germans call it a haube (actually motorhaube, but they do insist on compounding everything) which translates to hat or bonnet, but definitely not hood.  And since they invented the car, that seals it for me
    Actually, it does translate to that. The "hood" or "bonnet" or "haube" in an automobile refers to the covering over the engine and not the engine compartment. Originally it was the covering that protected the driver from the heat of radiator in front of them.  

hood

1. a covering for the head and neck with an opening for the face, typically forming part of a coat or sweatshirt.

2. a thing resembling a hood in shape or use.

In other words .... a "hat". 

But Benz first automobile designs had the engine in the back or under the driver seat. There were no "motorhaube" to speak of in Benz first designs of his automobiles. 

It was Panhard-Levassor in France, that moved the engine to the front (several years after Benz first automobiles) and thus requiring a covering over the radiator to protect the driver. This covering is what is referred to as the "bonnet", "motohaube" or "hood". And they all translate to about the same thing ..... a "hat". 

https://www.thoughtco.com/who-invented-the-car-4059932

>Panhard-Levassor made vehicles with a pedal-operated clutch, a chain transmission leading to a change-speed gearbox, and a front radiator. Levassor was the first designer to move the engine to the front of the car and use a rear-wheel-drive layout. This design was known as the Systeme Panhard and quickly became the standard for all cars because it gave a better balance and improved steering. Panhard and Levassor are also credited with the invention of the modern transmission — installed in their 1895 Panhard.<

So far, this research was much more interesting and educational, than learning about "stutter" and stammer". 
    GeorgeBMacronnFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 40 of 45
    zimmie said:
    rcfa said:

If you think AI will be capable of making unbiased decisions within our lifespans, I have a bridge to sell you. AI working on large datasets doesn't discover facts about the world, it discovers facts about the dataset. And if the data was entered by humans, or if humans decided what data to collect, the data isn't really objective anymore.
    Yep!   That's been known long before anybody started touting AI.   It's known as:  GIGO:  "Garbage In - Garbage Out"

Elon Musk & crew are working hard at developing AI for their self driving cars.   He speaks eloquently about the difficulties finding and analyzing the right data and especially about obtaining complete datasets -- it sounds like its an ongoing project