Apple employees pen second letter asking for work-from-home options

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    I wonder what is apple's ability to monitor employee performance.

The big issue is that while there are employees who can manage high levels of productivity from home, there are a large cohort that are unproductive and hidden under the current work from home situation. 

I feel that apple must have some way of measuring this difference in output, but are being too polite to just come out and say it.

Plus, from the outside, I think that apple makes what they do look easy. When in actuality the high level of integration between software, hardware, and between devices requires next level coordination between teams that is not sustainable in the work at home world we find ourselves in right now.

• Reply 22 of 22
    rcomeaurcomeau Posts: 79member
    I wonder what is apple's ability to monitor employee performance.

The big issue is that while there are employees who can manage high levels of productivity from home, there are a large cohort that are unproductive and hidden under the current work from home situation. 

I feel that apple must have some way of measuring this difference in output, but are being too polite to just come out and say it.

Plus, from the outside, I think that apple makes what they do look easy. When in actuality the high level of integration between software, hardware, and between devices requires next level coordination between teams that is not sustainable in the work at home world we find ourselves in right now.

The problem is it is hard to quantify the benefits of having a cohesive team. A lot off good ideas that can be the next iPhone come from random conversations that can only happen when people are in the same room. You can never measure the loss of an idea that could have happened but never happened and the metrics that are measurable end up carrying too much weight because they are tangible.

We'll see in a few years time if companies that embraced the work from home do well, or become the latest fad that got a lot of hype but faded away because they missed the next wave while emailing from the kitchen table.
    dee_dee