Apple hit with patent infringement lawsuit for selling a smart water bottle

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Does anyone know a single person that owns a “smart” water bottle?

I’ve been drinking from “smart” water bottles for years.

ravnorodom
  • Reply 22 of 31
    I think I’ll sue manufacturers of CDs and DVDs. The reason: when I was 9 (nearly 60 years ago) I wrote a sci-fi story for homework which included film stored on a small silver disk. I also invented an invisible door controlled by laser. Stuff couldn’t get in or out whilst the laser was on. Has anyone actually made that? If so, I’m coming after you. 
    bloggerblogdysamoriaBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    BombdoeBombdoe Posts: 56member
    Does this water bottle call 50% as half full or half empty?
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Whether or not the patents have merit is completely separate from suing a retailer of a possibly infringing product.
    As somebody mentioned earlier, they should just issue cease and desist letters to all the retailers. But that, of course, would not have even a remote chance of generating a payday. This will probably be dismissed with prejudice.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    1. This is a ludicrous lawsuit. Apple isn’t the infringing party.

2. Infringement is based on a patent that should probably not exist (you cannot patent an idea).

3. “non-practicing entity“... so, it’s a patent troll, like usual. That alone should have it dismissed with prejudice.

4. The patent system is utterly broken. When is this going to be addressed? Exactly how many systems do we allow to be broken before we classify our nation as failed? Because some already wealthy elitists make money on the broken system is probably part of what keeps it in place.

5. This is a stupid product.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    OctoMonkeyOctoMonkey Posts: 311member
    mike1 said:
    Whether or not the patents have merit is completely separate from suing a retailer of a possibly infringing product.
    As somebody mentioned earlier, they should just issue cease and desist letters to all the retailers. But that, of course, would not have even a remote chance of generating a payday. This will probably be dismissed with prejudice.
    Or perhaps, if we are lucky, the lawsuit will be deemed frivolous and the plaintiff charged with all costs (court and defendant).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    imagladryimagladry Posts: 105member
    Y’all are are going to own me large sums of money. I do use patented I cylindrical item with a bottom and no top that holds liquids.

ridiculous
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 31
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    mela said:

No, and I personally draw the line at having to charge my water bottle :D

I draw the line at subscriptions.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    " ...at least internally"?  I can copy your invention all I want "internally".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 31

entropys said:
    No point in suing someone who doesn’t have money.
    I think it's time to start a class action lawsuit suing anyone stupid and/or vain enough to buy a smart water bottle.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    I kickstarted one years ago. Realized pretty quickly that it was pretty stupid. 

I don’t see how Apple can be sued for patent infringement on a product they’re merely selling as a retailer. 
    watto_cobra