Will Smith's 'Emancipation' filming stopped over COVID spread

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A mere two weeks into filming Apple TV+ thriller "Emancipation," crew will take a short hiatus to limit the spread of COVID.

The cast and crew of "Emancipation," has chosen to take a temporary break from filming after crew members tested positive for the coronavirus.

According to Deadline, the cast and crew were only recently informed about the hiatus, which will start on August 3 and is expected to last five days.

"Emancipation" will star Will Smith as Peter, a runaway slave who is forced to "outwit cold-blooded hunters and the unforgiving swamps of Louisiana on a tortuous journey North where he joined the Union Army." The film, directed by Antoine Fuqua and based on a script by William N. Collage, is based on a true story.

In July, Apple finalized the acquisition to "Emancipation" in what was described as the largest film festival acquisition deal in the industry's history. The Cupertino tech giant reportedly spent around $100 million net to acquire world rights to "Emancipation," an action-thriller about a slave on the run during the Civil War.

In April, Will Smith and Antoine Fuqua announced that "Emancipation" would no longer be filmed in Georgia as a protest against the state's new and more restrictive voting law.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Sounds like a wonderful film which I would have enjoyed looking forward to, but their decision about filming in Georgia makes it a picture I’ll now skip.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    It's ironic that a movie named "Emancipation" is being held captive by COVID-19.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    This is how it begins. Before you know it, Smith will be holed up with a German shepherd in a Washington Square townhouse and only coming out for supplies in daylight.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bluefire1 said:
    Sounds like a wonderful film which I would have enjoyed looking forward to, but their decision about filming in Georgia makes it a picture I’ll now skip.
    That's very nice that you wish to grandstand publicly about Georgia voter suppression laws that are racist and unconstitutional, but you really should keep your disgusting political views to yourself. Georgia earned this boycott fair and square, and deserves it.
    edited August 2021 ronn
  • Reply 5 of 6
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    bluefire1 said:
    Thanks for the update. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    A small pause due to the delta variant and anti-vaxxer nonsense. I'm still very much interested in how they'll tackle this particular story. It's always intrigued me and I thought it would never make it to the big screen, let alone be a major production.